Retaking courses advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tjmoore1986

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, I apologize if this has been addressed or if it needs to be moved. Now my situation: I graduate in the spring of 16. I would like to retake my Comparative Animal Physiology course for sure. I also got a C in organic chemistry and would like to retake that as well. My problem is that my advisor is telling me to go ahead and graduate and then come back and take those courses as a non degree seeking student. I want it to go on my GPA for my degree. At this point, is it worth taking classes below the 3000 level again? My cGPA isn't hot (3.1-ish, not counting next semester), but should I graduate and re-take or insist on taking them before? I haven't made below a B in anything 3000-4000 level except my Comparative class. Also, the advisors here do not know much when it comes to vet school stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

First, I apologize if this has been addressed or if it needs to be moved. Now my situation: I graduate in the spring of 16. I would like to retake my Comparative Animal Physiology course for sure. I also got a C in organic chemistry and would like to retake that as well. My problem is that my advisor is telling me to go ahead and graduate and then come back and take those courses as a non degree seeking student. I want it to go on my GPA for my degree. At this point, is it worth taking classes below the 3000 level again? My cGPA isn't hot (3.1-ish, not counting next semester), but should I graduate and re-take or insist on taking them before? I haven't made below a B in anything 3000-4000 level except my Comparative class. Also, the advisors here do not know much when it comes to vet school stuff.
My first question is...does your school allow you to retake a course if you didn't fail it? It seems silly, but my university actually didn't allow me to repeat any courses that had a C- or better (basically if you pass it, you move on no matter what). I would have had to come back (or go elsewhere) as a non-degree student. Just make sure that your adviser wasn't meaning that.

Second: Vet schools don't look at 'degree GPAs'.' They look at your cumulative, science (aka prereqs), and GPA for the last 45 credits. Really, it doesn't matter that your repeat attempts are completed prior to your degree being completed.

Your cGPA isn't that competitive, but if you get oodles of experience and great letters, you can work with that a little. I would suggest repeating any prereqs you got a C or less in to boost that. If physio is a prereq for any of the schools you've chosen, yes, I'd consider retaking it. If not, I'd focus my money/time onto other courses that are required. Doing well in upper level science courses from now on will help your case, but it won't necessarily replace a bunch of C's in your lower level prereqs.

What you should do now is get a hold of any schools you're interested in and get advice from them as well. Not having good pre-vet advisers is a really common problem. Your best answer will come from the school itself.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a 3.1, so retaking those classes now aren't going to tip the scales toward Latin honors or anything but, if your school is anything like the average school, taking an extra class or two when you're already enrolled full time will save money (it might mean having a busy semester though). It's not very economical to enroll in just one or two classes at a time at most universities so, I vote to get them done before you graduate if you can.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Additionally, (at least at my UG) it's harder to register for the popular classes as a non-degree seeking student because it's the students that are on degree paths that get first dibs.

I have a question sort of along these lines, so I'm bumping this.

I got a C in an upper level Repro class last fall. I haven't had my file review yet, but they asked me about it during my interview and I'm expecting it to be part of the reason I was ultimately rejected.

I'm taking 20 credits right now. They're the last odds and ends that I need to graduate, and the only science is a lower level physics class. I'm exploring the idea of taking some upper level biology classes next fall as a non-degree student (I graduate this May), so that my most recent science course won't be a C.

Tuition is really expensive as a non-degree student. 2 classes (6 credits) are more money as a non-degree student than my entire semester right now. If I just take one course, is it even worth it? Would that grade mean anything? Is a good grade considered an accomplishment or measure of capability if it's the only class I take at the time?

I got a C in an upper level Repro class last fall. I haven't had my file review yet, but they asked me about it during my interview and I'm expecting it to be part of the reason I was ultimately rejected.

I'm taking 20 credits right now. They're the last odds and ends that I need to graduate, and the only science is a lower level physics class. I'm exploring the idea of taking some upper level biology classes next fall as a non-degree student (I graduate this May), so that my most recent science course won't be a C.

Tuition is really expensive as a non-degree student. 2 classes (6 credits) are more money as a non-degree student than my entire semester right now. If I just take one course, is it even worth it? Would that grade mean anything? Is a good grade considered an accomplishment or measure of capability if it's the only class I take at the time?
How's your GPA(s)? If you feel you have a solid GPA, I wouldn't say one C in a non-prereq course is going to make or break it. If you're below average, you may be better off repeating pre-reqs instead of one repro course.

As for the other questions, I'd ask the schools you're applying to. Some schools do look into your course load, but you'd be taking this outside of a degree. I'm not sure if that would change things or not.

How's your GPA(s)? If you feel you have a solid GPA, I wouldn't say one C in a non-prereq course is going to make or break it. If you're below average, you may be better off repeating pre-reqs instead of one repro course.

As for the other questions, I'd ask the schools you're applying to. Some schools do look into your course load, but you'd be taking this outside of a degree. I'm not sure if that would change things or not.

My GPA is pretty average (3.5). I did a double major and have taken so many credits at this point (180) that I'm not sure 3 or 6 more will change things much.

I will ask about this at my file review. Thanks, pinkpuppy.

Last edited:

CSU told me once upon a time that they did not look as highly upon great grades taken during easy semesters and that they consider a student who is busy both academically and EC, as a more rounded, more desirable student. But it's actually on their supplemental too.

Reactions: 1 user
CSU told me once upon a time that they did not look as highly upon great grades taken during easy semesters and that they consider a student who is busy both academically and EC, as a more rounded, more desirable student. But it's actually on their supplemental too.

I agree. They also look at your course load (I.e. number of credits) in a semester, the amount of difficult classes in a semester, required course load, and the schools course difficulty. Vet schools definitely want a well-rounded student with academic and leadership skills. You should look at your required courses GPA and see what it is and if your extra classes inflated you cumGPA.

In attempt to answer your other question, I kind of doubt that the C in the upper level repro class was cause of your rejection. Especially since it is not a required course. Your cumGPA is definitely competitive. If you take 3-6 credits on top of the 180 you already have, your cumGPA really won't move much at all even if you ace the classes. I actually did a GPA calculation of your number of credits and cumGPA and added 6 credits of A's which bumped your cumGPA to 3.515, so almost 2 hundredths of a point.