Retaking credits and my chances.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InquisitiveSir

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a 21 year old freshman who is returning to school after a bad showing the first time around. I decided during my Hiatus from school that I want go in to either Medical or Pharmacy school, preferring Med.

The first time I went to school I passed my first semester classes with a 2.35(bad, I know) and then ended up failing all of my second semester classes(for some reason getting hammered nightly seemed like a good idea back then).

So, I'm going back starting in January and will be retaking the 5 classes I failed at the community college. I'm wondering firstly how medical schools will treat retaken classes, will they take the most recent, average them, or am I wasting my time? Do MD and DO schools have different policies on this?

I plan to give school my all this time and If I manage to maintain an A- average in my classes I could pull my GPA to a 3.523 cumulative by my senior year and my science is luckily a clean slate. Is this gonna be high enough to get in to a good school?

For EC I have about 250 hours in the last year volunteering at our local VA hospital and have been working in a local pharmacy for 6 months(does this even matter for med school?), but I plan to do more in the coming years.

What do you guys think, in my time lurking you guys have been very informative.

Members don't see this ad.

MD = Averages all grades
DO = Takes most recent replacement, which shouldn't be confused with highest. Someone may get a "D" retake and get a "B+" retake again and get "B-" and end up with the "B-" for calculation.

It's too soon to tell your destiny. Go get the best grades you can and come back when you're closer to applying.