Retaking DAT and Submitting App

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glimmer1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been seeing a LOT of questions lately (and getting a bunch of PMs) about retaking the DAT and the timing of application submission.

I figured I'd make a thread about it so I don't have to keep saying the same thing. :) This is an issue that is entirely up to personal choice. There is no "right" or "wrong" answer. However, since I have been asked so many times, here is what I would do if I was in this position.

So, let's say you've taken the DAT for the first time and made something such as an 18AA/17TS. You feel like you can do better and plan to retake the DAT in June or July. These scores don't make you particularly happy, and you think they aren't competitive enough for the schools you're applying to (for some reason or another).

So, your retake is planned. In the meantime, you've gotten everything else ready for your application--your LORs, your transcripts, your PS, all of the "fill in the blank" questions about your activities, etc. Your application, in essence, is complete--but only sort of, because you'd really like schools to consider your new-and-improved scores and not just your old ones.

You think, "Well, I should go ahead and submit so I can be EARLY!" Then my transcripts can be verified, and schools will get my app. All they'll have to do is wait for my new scores! They'll wait! ...right?

Well, theoretically, most schools say they will wait for your new scores before reviewing your application. That's very true. Here, though, is where the problems would come in for me.

I have heard of people being rejected before their new scores came in, even though they indicated a retake. So much for schools "waiting," right?

If I were reapplying, I wouldn't want for there to be any chance for a school to see my application and throw me in the "reject" pile before they saw my new scores. Sure, like I said, many schools say they will wait. However, I'd rather be certain that schools only saw my application in the best light possible--new scores included. What if they don't notice that you're retaking and cast your app aside? What if they put you in the "for review at a later date" pile, but then they don't get around to looking at your app for a long time because they're busy looking at new apps and the "for future review" pile was forgotten about?

Also, the fact that you'll get your app in "earlier" by going ahead and submitting is kind of just a farce. They'll still be waiting for your new scores (hopefully), and they probably aren't going to review your app before your new scores are in. So why not go ahead and just submit it all at once? And heck, if you're retaking in June or July (which I HIGHLY recommend), you'll still be pretty dang early anyhow.

So, here's the sequence that I recommend.
1. Get everything (other than your transcripts) ready for your application ASAP. Send your LORs, write your PS, and fill out your EC sections.
2. Retake the DAT. Get great scores. Go celebrate.
3. The next day, go to your registrar and have them send your transcripts to AADSAS.
4. On the same day you submit your transcripts, submit your app.

Now, some "waiting" happens. It will take 4-7 days for your transcripts to arrive. It will then take AADSAS about 7-10 days to verify your GPA. In the meantime, your new scores will be uploaded--this normally takes about 14 days. So, everything will be "done" at the same time. The entire thing should be sent out in the same batch.

*Or, if your transcripts get done really fast for some reason, at least your scores would follow in the very next batch and schools won't have to wait multiple weeks to have your (genuinely) completed application.

The reason I suggest waiting to send your transcripts is because if you sent them any earlier, there is a greater chance that your app will be sent out in the batch before your new scores come in. You'd be eliminating that week-long buffer that it takes for your transcripts to arrive.

If you HAVE submitted your app before your new scores, here is something else you can do. On the day you take your DAT, take your new score report, scan it in, and send it to schools. At least this will eliminate the 2- to 3-week period for your scores to be uploaded to AADSAS and sent out. Some schools won't actually invite your for an interview until your "official" scores come in, but at least these scores will allow them to start considering your app.

Also... if you're retaking in August or later, you're in a bit more murky waters. I think my plan works because it still allows an applicant to be "early." However, retaking in August or beyond sort of puts you out of that category. In that case, I don't know that I'd wait to submit. I suppose I'd just go ahead and submit and then cross my fingers that schools will wait. Definitely scan in your score report and send it to schools on the same day you retake.

Ultimately, these are purely my thoughts. Take them or leave them, of course! However, I hope this might help someone! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Glimmer dont be so thorough with your threads. It doesnt give us any room to respond :cat:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Shameless self bumping haha. I do have something to say.

TL;DR Do NOT retake if you don't think you can do better. If you can't do better, then study more, preferably with a combination of material. The application will be updated once the new scores are in.

Shameless self bumping haha. I do have something to say.

TL;DR Do NOT retake if you don't think you can do better. If you can't do better, then study more, preferably with a combination of material. The application will be updated once the new scores are in.

Do you mean to say, "If you CAN do better, then study more..."? :)

Yup, currently playing the waiting game with my DAT scores. Going to submit once they are officially uploaded. No point in me rushing for first batch at this point.

"The waiting game" = Admission Cycle. I would still submit once you decide it's ready. No reason for you to hold on to it once you've finished it.

Yup, currently playing the waiting game with my DAT scores. Going to submit once they are officially uploaded. No point in me rushing for first batch at this point.

Agreed--just wait 'til they're there, and then submit! :)

Hi. When you say 'scan it in to the schools' are you meaning send it via fax? Also, does this post also account for the TMDSAS application for Texas schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. When you say 'scan it in to the schools' are you meaning send it via fax? Also, does this post also account for the TMDSAS application for Texas schools?

Hey there, I know very little about Texas schools. However, I don't know why this would be any different other than the timeline--since Texas apps open an entire month early, retaking in late July might be kind of late. I'm not sure, though.

For "scanning it in," I mean you literally scan in a copy of your score report as a PDF and send it to the admissions team at the schools where you're applying. Just include your AADSAS ID in the e-mail and say that you are sending your new DAT scores. Very simple. :)

Reactions: 1 user
thanks glim, this made me feel so much better... the new definition of a beauty = glimmer

Great! Thank you. I have already submitted my TMDSAS application, but I am retaking the DAT on June 30th. Do you recommend that I email my new DAT scores to TMDSAS or each Texas school individually? I understand you do not know much about TMDSAS, but I thought I would ask!

thanks glim, this made me feel so much better... the new definition of a beauty = glimmer

'Cause what could be better than a cute little bumblebee... :p

Great! Thank you. I have already submitted my TMDSAS application, but I am retaking the DAT on June 30th. Do you recommend that I email my new DAT scores to TMDSAS or each Texas school individually? I understand you do not know much about TMDSAS, but I thought I would ask!

I would e-mail each school individually. TMDSAS will get a copy of your scores eventually, but it usually takes ~2 weeks. You bypass that waiting period if you just e-mail the schools with your scores. You might not get an interview until they get your official scores through TMDSAS, but many schools will start looking at your application beforehand, at least. :)

Hi again. I have another question! My last recommendation letter is going to be mailed to my Pre-professional health center (where they send all of my LOE's in one packet) on June 30th. I spoke with my advisor and she said they will be out of the office from June 30th to July 7th; therefore, I will not be able to send my LOE packet to each school until after the 7th. Should I wait to submit my application until the 7th or do it beforehand?

Hi again. I have another question! My last recommendation letter is going to be mailed to my Pre-professional health center (where they send all of my LOE's in one packet) on June 30th. I spoke with my advisor and she said they will be out of the office from June 30th to July 7th; therefore, I will not be able to send my LOE packet to each school until after the 7th. Should I wait to submit my application until the 7th or do it beforehand?

I thought you had already submitted?

I would also add that if you find yourself in a situation where you believe your second DAT scores were not evaluated by the school and you received a rejection, call the school. I know a current D2 who was rejected from her top choice. She called them up and asked what she could do to improve her application, and they cited her low DAT score. She pointed out that her scores were above the school's averages and they said they must have been looking at someone else's application (or some other weird, borderline unacceptable excuse) and they granted her a spot.

Reactions: 2 users
I would also add that if you find yourself in a situation where you believe your second DAT scores were not evaluated by the school and you received a rejection, call the school. I know a current D2 who was rejected from her top choice. She called them up and asked what she could do to improve her application, and they cited her low DAT score. She pointed out that her scores were above the school's averages and they said they must have been looking at someone else's application (or some other weird, borderline unacceptable excuse) and they granted her a spot.

Also, this is precisely why a person should wait. If the app first arrives AFTER the new score is uploaded, this won't happen. :)

I have submitted my TMDSAS application but not the AADSAS for OOS. Sorry for the confusion!!

I would not submit your AADSAS app until your new scores show up... which will be sometime after you take it on the 30th. Probably mid-July.

'Tis the entire point of this thread. :)

Thanks Glimmer!

Last edited:
So I'm a little confused as to when schools actually review your application.. you mentioned it takes a couple of weeks to get your GPA verified - do schools wait until this happens before they review your application? I also read elsewhere in the forums that batches are prepared on Wed/Thursdays and sent on Fridays, so is that extra delay if you submit late in the week?
Essentially I am retaking my DAT on July 28, and am trying to focus on studying for the time being. I already submitted my letters and transcripts, but still need to finish my PS and essay questions. I am working on those here and there but don't plan to spend much time finalizing everything until after my retest. I need help figuring out how long I have after my test to finish everything and submit my application so everything is "completed" at the same time.... Please lend me your expertise, glimmer!

So I'm a little confused as to when schools actually review your application.. you mentioned it takes a couple of weeks to get your GPA verified - do schools wait until this happens before they review your application? I also read elsewhere in the forums that batches are prepared on Wed/Thursdays and sent on Fridays, so is that extra delay if you submit late in the week?
Essentially I am retaking my DAT on July 28, and am trying to focus on studying for the time being. I already submitted my letters and transcripts, but still need to finish my PS and essay questions. I am working on those here and there but don't plan to spend much time finalizing everything until after my retest. I need help figuring out how long I have after my test to finish everything and submit my application so everything is "completed" at the same time.... Please lend me your expertise, glimmer!

Im not Glims but Ill do my best.

That's easy, DS review your application when you get an email saying your application is complete.

Yes, verification for GPA will only get longer as the application process kicks in and more people submit their application. And school absolutely do not review your application without your GPA and DAT scores.

You read correctly, if you get verified on a thursday or late wednesday, you have missed the deadline for the mailing date on Friday.

The last parts a bit tricky, it'd be kind of difficult to time this correctly. Ideally, I would finish the AADSAS a couple of days before the test if I feel prepared already so that the GPA can start processing (which is probably around a week and half at this point). However a safer route is to focus on your DAT then finish your app. But note that GPA verification could be at 2 weeks then.

Hey there!

There's no way a school will review your app until your GPA has been verified. In fact, AADSAS won't even send your application out until they verify your GPA.

There's no telling when a school will review your app (they all do their own thing), but it generally isn't going to happen until they have received everything. I've heard of schools occasionally giving out interviews when LORs are still missing, but even that is rare.

Batches this year have been prepared on Wednesday mornings and then mailed out on Friday mornings. In order to make the cutoff for the week, you have to have everything verified--not just submitted--by the time the batch is prepared on Wednesday. If you're verified later in the week, you'll be included in the next week's batch.

You can take 3-4 days after your retest to finalize your application before submitting. It'll be fine. I wouldn't wait too much longer, though, or your GPA verification might hold up your app. The general guideline is to have everything submitted by August 1st. That would give you 4 days after your retake. :)

Last edited:
Hi, Glimmer, thank you for this great thread! I posted a similar thread before, but I want some ideas from you since I am basically following your timeline of retaking. I rescheduled my DAT July 30th (This is the earliest available date unfortunately:(:(.) The thing is that I have to submit my app before July 24 because of my Fee Assistance program would expire after that. Here is my plan, I am going to submit my app before July 24 for only three schools and add the rest after my test. I would also tell these three schools that I am re-taking my DAT. Within a day or two after my test, I would then add other schools after finalizing my list of schools. Do you think this is a good idea?
Also, since I am literally taking my DAT on the end of July,which category of applicant am I in? Late or early or in between?

Hi, Glimmer, thank you for this great thread! I posted a similar thread before, but I want some ideas from you since I am basically following your timeline of retaking. I rescheduled my DAT July 30th (This is the earliest available date unfortunately:(:(.) The thing is that I have to submit my app before July 24 because of my Fee Assistance program would expire after that. Here is my plan, I am going to submit my app before July 24 for only three schools and add the rest after my test. I would also tell these three schools that I am re-taking my DAT. Within a day or two after my test, I would then add other schools after finalizing my list of schools. Do you think this is a good idea?
Also, since I am literally taking my DAT on the end of July,which category of applicant am I in? Late or early or in between?

Your plan sounds fine! No worries. That's a great way of doing it. Plus, your scores might affect the schools you would want to apply to, anyhow.

Generally, just to be really safe, you want to have everything submitted to AADSAS by August 1st. You fall into that category! :D You aren't exactly "early," but you're close enough! I'd say you're "on time." ;)

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST! With all that in line now I can get back to focusing on studying :writer: :highfive:

I retook my DAT in August, it updated online at AADSAS on 9/12, and it says that new info was mailed out to all my schools on 9/19.

So, sort of ignorant question: Whatever was mailed out on 9/19 is my application with my new score, correct? Or simply my new score? I didn't realize once I retook my DAT I would have to wait for it to update to AADSAS and then wait for them to mail it out after updating. For some reason, I was under the impression that my score would mail out to schools while simultaneously updating online. I'm getting nervous since my top pick school, UMKC, has a hard deadline of Oct 1st.

I retook my DAT in August, it updated online at AADSAS on 9/12, and it says that new info was mailed out to all my schools on 9/19.

So, sort of ignorant question: Whatever was mailed out on 9/19 is my application with my new score, correct? Or simply my new score? I didn't realize once I retook my DAT I would have to wait for it to update to AADSAS and then wait for them to mail it out after updating. For some reason, I was under the impression that my score would mail out to schools while simultaneously updating online. I'm getting nervous since my top pick school, UMKC, has a hard deadline of Oct 1st.

Application with new score (technically all scores).

@Glimmer1991 Ah thank you so much for taking the time to explain it STEP by STEP, this makes things much clearer for me.

Glimmer, thanks so much for the clarity! What would we do without you :shy::)
Quick question: I might have interpreted this wrong, but were you implying that once your GPA is verified, that we don't have any say in when the app gets submitted/sent out? Like if you take the DAT in early June, and the day after you take it, you go to the registrar and order transcripts and give them the supplemental attachment, that it'll take 4-7 days for the transcripts to get sent out (and then they'll appear on the application as attached if they're electronic?) and then an additional 7 ish days for your grades to be verified (and in the meantime your DAT score doesn't get uploaded for 14 days), there's a possibility that your entire app will be sent out before the dat scores are uploaded? Sorry about my confusion. It's probably a dumb question since I'm guessing that we're actually able to press submit, but I guess I'm more so just wondering how we can physically see that the transcripts were uploaded electronically and verified. Thank you and sorry for the long and confusing post!

Submission/GPA verification is independent of your DAT score. If your application gets processed and "mailed" out before your DAT score is uploaded, it will simply be "mailed" out again after it is uploaded.

You can see if they have received and processed your transcripts on the AADSAS portal.

When the application open, you can go ahead and enter your schools to get a matching form then request transcripts without worrying about the DAT.

Glimmer, thanks so much for the clarity! What would we do without you :shy::)
Quick question: I might have interpreted this wrong, but were you implying that once your GPA is verified, that we don't have any say in when the app gets submitted/sent out? Like if you take the DAT in early June, and the day after you take it, you go to the registrar and order transcripts and give them the supplemental attachment, that it'll take 4-7 days for the transcripts to get sent out (and then they'll appear on the application as attached if they're electronic?) and then an additional 7 ish days for your grades to be verified (and in the meantime your DAT score doesn't get uploaded for 14 days), there's a possibility that your entire app will be sent out before the dat scores are uploaded? Sorry about my confusion. It's probably a dumb question since I'm guessing that we're actually able to press submit, but I guess I'm more so just wondering how we can physically see that the transcripts were uploaded electronically and verified. Thank you and sorry for the long and confusing post!

So you're saying it doesn't necessarily matter that everything will be in one submitted app (DAT scores and transcripts/application included) like Glimmer said? Thanks so much for your advice, I really appreciate it!

So you're saying it doesn't necessarily matter that everything will be in one submitted app (DAT scores and transcripts/application included) like Glimmer said? Thanks so much for your advice, I really appreciate it!

Doesn't matter, your application essentially just gets updated and "mailed" out again. If you're planning on submitting in June then it matters even less cause you're early.

I just don't want adcoms to see an incomplete app, even if that's within a week of the complete app. Any advice on that or it really won't matter? I'm guessing the latter. Thanks :) :)

I just don't want adcoms to see an incomplete app, even if that's within a week of the complete app. Any advice on that or it really won't matter? I'm guessing the latter. Thanks :) :)

Your application has to be complete to be reviewed in the first place. They usually will send you an email stating that your application is now complete and it has been forwarded to the committee. If you apply in June, it is highly likely that your application will be in the first review anyway, don't worry about that.

I have been seeing a LOT of questions lately (and getting a bunch of PMs) about retaking the DAT and the timing of application submission.

I figured I'd make a thread about it so I don't have to keep saying the same thing. :) This is an issue that is entirely up to personal choice. There is no "right" or "wrong" answer. However, since I have been asked so many times, here is what I would do if I was in this position.

So, let's say you've taken the DAT for the first time and made something such as an 18AA/17TS. You feel like you can do better and plan to retake the DAT in June or July. These scores don't make you particularly happy, and you think they aren't competitive enough for the schools you're applying to (for some reason or another).

So, your retake is planned. In the meantime, you've gotten everything else ready for your application--your LORs, your transcripts, your PS, all of the "fill in the blank" questions about your activities, etc. Your application, in essence, is complete--but only sort of, because you'd really like schools to consider your new-and-improved scores and not just your old ones.

You think, "Well, I should go ahead and submit so I can be EARLY!" Then my transcripts can be verified, and schools will get my app. All they'll have to do is wait for my new scores! They'll wait! ...right?

Well, theoretically, most schools say they will wait for your new scores before reviewing your application. That's very true. Here, though, is where the problems would come in for me.

I have heard of people being rejected before their new scores came in, even though they indicated a retake. So much for schools "waiting," right?

If I were reapplying, I wouldn't want for there to be any chance for a school to see my application and throw me in the "reject" pile before they saw my new scores. Sure, like I said, many schools say they will wait. However, I'd rather be certain that schools only saw my application in the best light possible--new scores included. What if they don't notice that you're retaking and cast your app aside? What if they put you in the "for review at a later date" pile, but then they don't get around to looking at your app for a long time because they're busy looking at new apps and the "for future review" pile was forgotten about?

Also, the fact that you'll get your app in "earlier" by going ahead and submitting is kind of just a farce. They'll still be waiting for your new scores (hopefully), and they probably aren't going to review your app before your new scores are in. So why not go ahead and just submit it all at once? And heck, if you're retaking in June or July (which I HIGHLY recommend), you'll still be pretty dang early anyhow.

So, here's the sequence that I recommend.
1. Get everything (other than your transcripts) ready for your application ASAP. Send your LORs, write your PS, and fill out your EC sections.
2. Retake the DAT. Get great scores. Go celebrate.
3. The next day, go to your registrar and have them send your transcripts to AADSAS.
4. On the same day you submit your transcripts, submit your app.

Now, some "waiting" happens. It will take 4-7 days for your transcripts to arrive. It will then take AADSAS about 7-10 days to verify your GPA. In the meantime, your new scores will be uploaded--this normally takes about 14 days. So, everything will be "done" at the same time. The entire thing should be sent out in the same batch.

*Or, if your transcripts get done really fast for some reason, at least your scores would follow in the very next batch and schools won't have to wait multiple weeks to have your (genuinely) completed application.

The reason I suggest waiting to send your transcripts is because if you sent them any earlier, there is a greater chance that your app will be sent out in the batch before your new scores come in. You'd be eliminating that week-long buffer that it takes for your transcripts to arrive.

If you HAVE submitted your app before your new scores, here is something else you can do. On the day you take your DAT, take your new score report, scan it in, and send it to schools. At least this will eliminate the 2- to 3-week period for your scores to be uploaded to AADSAS and sent out. Some schools won't actually invite your for an interview until your "official" scores come in, but at least these scores will allow them to start considering your app.

Also... if you're retaking in August or later, you're in a bit more murky waters. I think my plan works because it still allows an applicant to be "early." However, retaking in August or beyond sort of puts you out of that category. In that case, I don't know that I'd wait to submit. I suppose I'd just go ahead and submit and then cross my fingers that schools will wait. Definitely scan in your score report and send it to schools on the same day you retake.

Ultimately, these are purely my thoughts. Take them or leave them, of course! However, I hope this might help someone! :)

Hi I'm retaking the DAT, however, probably not until July 26th. Would this be considered late in the game?

Yo glimmer, do you think a 20AA and a 18 TS score will put me in the "reject pile"?

Hm alright. And it would be with a 3.2 undergrad GPA, and a >3.9 graduate GPA in biomedical science.

Should sail right past the screening for most dental schools. Providing you dont apply to only Ivies and other DS with low acceptance rates.

Hello, I am a re-applicant and I was wondering why would I have to send my transcript at last? I am done with my undergrad studies...

Thanks!