Retaking DAT?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fan2342

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got word that my program allows and there are no limitations for retakes aside from ADA 3 time limit to retake DAT. My question is should I take the DAT in late March during my winter semester of school and then if I don't get high enough scores, retake in the summer after full on study? I am taking Orgo 1/2, A&P 1/2, microbio genetics, and cell and molec during the fall and winter semester with Orgo 2 and A&P 2 and micro during winter semester when I would take first DAT.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Just wait and take it once. Planning to retake before taking it once is a waste, you'll convince yourself while studying "oh its ok, im taking it again later anyway." Just plan on early summer so you can kill it the first time and not have to worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wait and take it once. Planning to retake before taking it once is a waste, you'll convince yourself while studying "oh its ok, im taking it again later anyway." Just plan on early summer so you can kill it the first time and not have to worry.
Take it once when you're ready.
The problem is that if I were to apply to UCLA or somewhere not in the program, I would not be part of the early cycle. Also, if I for some reasons not get high enough scores for the program, 19 AA and 19 TS, then I will not be able to stay in because it will be too late to retake the DAT. Thoughts?

The problem is that if I were to apply to UCLA or somewhere not in the program, I would not be part of the early cycle. Also, if I for some reasons not get high enough scores for the program, 19 AA and 19 TS, then I will not be able to stay in because it will be too late to retake the DAT. Thoughts?
Whats this program you're describing? And again, if you worry you won't get 19AA or 19TS after two retakes, best option would be to sit down for 12 weeks, study, crush it the first time rather than short notice studying + finishing a heavy semester of classes.

Whats this program you're describing? And again, if you worry you won't get 19AA or 19TS after two retakes, best option would be to sit down for 12 weeks, study, crush it the first time rather than short notice studying + finishing a heavy semester of classes.
Dual admission. The dat has to be taken by end August of the year before you transition. I think I can get it after one test with 8-10 weeks of intense studying but I think there may be a chance I can get a good score if I study every day during school but not that much since I have to also focus on my grades and class. All the science classes will be very fresh except for Orgo 2 microbio cell and molec and A&P 2 since I will be in the middle of them

That's why programs like this are tricky. You have to somehow make sure you have a backup plan if you don't achieve the required DAT score. I'd still recommend only taking this exam once and putting all of your energy into it. It isn't something you want to do twice.