Retaking MCAT 2015 - need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBen14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just got my scores back from the old MCAT, 9/8/10...

Naturally Im disappointed in this score and will be registering for the 2015 MCAT soon.

Im not too thrilled about studying for a new test in less than two months, but I have no other options.

I know that applying early is one of the most important steps in applying.

It will take some 65 days for the new scores to come out from an April test date, will they be back too late to get that early jump? Or can I start my application with my old mcat score and then update it when I get my new scores?

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

You are likely going to be okay with May or even June test dates (score released at the end of June and July, respectively), and you do not want to risk scoring a lower MCAT by taking the earlier test date. Only take the April test if you feel prepared. On another note, depending on your GPAs, you may be able to land a few interviews with your current MCAT, especially if you come from a state with very high IS intake. Ideally though, you wouldn't want to release your applications to the schools with current MCAT if you know you could score higher (i.e. only apply with the best application).

You are likely going to be okay with May or even June test dates (score released at the end of June and July, respectively), and you do not want to risk scoring a lower MCAT by taking the earlier test date. Only take the April test if you feel prepared. On another note, depending on your GPAs, you may be able to land a few interviews with your current MCAT, especially if you come from a state with very high IS intake. Ideally though, you wouldn't want to release your applications to the schools with current MCAT if you know you could score higher (i.e. only apply with the best application).

Thanks for your input! I have a pretty high GPA. Im going to take the April date I think. Just have to brush up on my Psych! Ive always been better at Biochem anyhow. I think with my first MCAT, I kinda slacked on my prep. I think since I've been studying for the old MCAT recently I can hunker down and thoroughly prep for the new one, I have to.

I'm in the same situation. I grabbed a seat for May, but ideally if I feel ready I might push it up to April *fingers crossed*