Retaking MCAT in Aug, Apply 2012? HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

playaodamonth

Student DOctor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I desperately need some advice!

I applied last cycle (2011-2012) to DO schools, which is my preferred medical program. I applied with the following stats:

3.45cu/3.20sci undergrad
26Q MCAT
Research (>200 hours) + EMT (>1500 hours) + Hospital Volunteer (40 hours) + Red Cross Volunteer (50 hours)

When I took the MCAT, I was naive and arrogant. I barely studied for it. I felt confident that I knew the material well enough to not have to study much. I took about 6 practice exams on the AAMC website and averaged a 29, but that was pretty much my only review of the material. I applied to 5 schools (UMDNJ-SOM, LECOM, PCOM, NYCOM, and Touro-NY). I got an interview at Touro-NY and LECOM, but rejected from the rest. I recently got rejected from the waitlist at Touro-NY, but am still on the waitlist at LECOM.

Because I fear the possibility of not getting into LECOM, I plan on retaking the MCAT in late August. However, this time I am studying for it, hardcore. I am 2 weeks into the SN2ed study guide and do believe I will get a better score on the MCAT. I also got accepted to a 1-year Masters of Biomedical Sciences program at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and am debating whether or not to attend.

I would like to apply again for DO schools this cycle (2012-2013) but I have no idea whether I should apply June 1st with my previous MCAT score and just send them the updated one in September? or should I hold off the primary application until I receive my score in September, then send it out?

I know a September application is very late and will hurt my chances, but I've heard from some people sending an application with a lower MCAT score may be just as detrimental.... Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Please help :( Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, and mind you I haven't applied yet, I would apply to mid-lower tier DO schools in June-July with the previous MCAT score since the 26 is around their averages.

For the upper DO schools I would hold off, but probably you're going to need to push your MCAT date earlier and apply and be complete to them by the end of August.

Members don't see this ad :)
apply june 1st. when did you apply? if you applied early last time you should have gotten more interviews. and apply to more than 5.

Thank you! I applied sometime in late June and sent out my secondaries in mid-late september. I'll definitely apply to way more than 5 this time.

Maybe I'm missing something but you are still WL-ed at one school. Shouldn't you contact that school first and ask when you could expect a decision? I hate to break it to you, but with 1-year master's offer already, you can probably talk to the school (don't mention them about re-taking MCAT or re-applying just yet) and ask about the likelihood of your admission.

Maybe I'm missing something but you are still WL-ed at one school. Shouldn't you contact that school first and ask when you could expect a decision? I hate to break it to you, but with 1-year master's offer already, you can probably talk to the school (don't mention them about re-taking MCAT or re-applying just yet) and ask about the likelihood of your admission.

Hey, yeah I am still waitlisted at LECOM-ERIE. I sent them a Letter of Intent along with an updated transcript. I called them and asked when to expect a decision and they said anytime between now an July 20th...