retaking mcat, submit AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaboat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
i'm just trying to familiarize myself with the application process

i took my mcats in august 2005 and was unhappy with the unbalanced score, so i'm retaking this august 2006.

i was wondering if i am able to still submit my primary application through amcas. somehwere on that, do i write my august 2005 score, and also that i'm retaking in august 2006?

and if i have to release my '05 score, do you think it affects my chance of getting secondaries?

any advice on how retaking and applying works would be great. basically just need to know if i can submit my primary application now, have my secondaries ready, and then submit them as soon as the august '06 scores come out...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I was in the same boat. If you mark on your AMCAS that you will take the August MCAT, schools that prescreen for secondaries will put your app on hold until they get those scores. You will get secondaries from schools that don't prescreen and those will also put your app on hold thereafter until they get the scores.

I recommend applying early if you have a good enough score ie >30. If the schools you're interested in are on rolling admissions, it's not worth it to try to eek out a few more pts and having your app reviewed in November.

so in the MSAR book..when it says SECONDARIES: SENT TO ALL APPLICANTS, that means i'll get my secondaries after filling out my primary regardless of what my august '05 and impending august '06 scores are?

approx how long after the primary is sent in does one receive secondaries?

thanks guys :)

bananaboat said:
so in the MSAR book..when it says SECONDARIES: SENT TO ALL APPLICANTS, that means i'll get my secondaries after filling out my primary regardless of what my august '05 and impending august '06 scores are?

approx how long after the primary is sent in does one receive secondaries?

thanks guys :)
Yes to your first question.

Schools send secondaries anytime from a few days to a few months after you submit your amcas. I have no idea why unscreened secondaries sometimes takes so long, but they do.