Retaking MCAT, VR Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rolling_with_the_punches

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I'm planning on retaking the MCAT in January due to my lackluster verbal score.

I got my Aug 15 scores back and received 10 PS, 10 BS, and 6 VR.

I was average 8-9 on VR and well above 10's on the sciences. Regardless, I'm gonna restudy the sciences again and this time be a lot more diligent with verbal practice. I did all of the AAMC's and most of the EK101 and TPRH VR so I was wondering what else I can do? I subscribed to the economist partly for VR but I know its not a miracle worker. Any other ideas or tips? I'm not ESL incase anyone was wondering.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow Danny. I took that test too and scored 10/6/12. My verbal average was about an 8, and if I would have scored an 8, I would have been satisfied.

Are you not thinking of taking MCAT 2015 at all?

I was thinking about it, but there were spots available near my house to retake in January so i pulled the trigger and reserved a spot asap.
Honestly, I think it had something to do with it being a morning exam (8 am) and I took all my practice exams in the afternoon.
I was hitting constantly above 30+ on all my exams. Plus I guess we got shafted with a bad scale. I thought I'd hit a little higher on the sciences but I'd be content with a balanced 30. (10,10,10).

Members don't see this ad :)
Read the passages out loud during your practice passages and pretend you are reading them to someone to help them understand the story. This technique is what saved me. It will also prevent you from skipping words or skimming through lines.

And during the actual exams, do the same thing, but in your head. Mouth the words and pretend you are reading it to someone. I know everyone is different, and what works for some might not work for everyone, but again this is what really worked for me. Best of luck and I hope this works for you too!