Retaking the DAT in two weeks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent999

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
I am retaking the DAT in two weeks and I am really scared. I took it about three months ago and my scores were not great at all! My application is on hold because some schools asked me to retake it. I have an overall and science GPA of 3.75 and a DAT aa17. School has been very demanding this semester and I am not sure that I am ready to retake it. What do you guys think I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

I would go ahead and retake it and see what happens this cycle.
If you do not do well the second time around, I would take it the third time during next summer after studying hardcore. Then, reapply.
I took mine end of July and got 19/19/18 and decided to retake after exactly 3 months and got 20/20/18. I had PChem, Microbio, Analytical Chemistry fulltime courses but I was able to manage and increase my scores a little bit. Since you know how the test is going to be like, study effectively. I suggest mastering the Kaplan blue book for Ochem and Gchem section. I think Kaplan is very good with those two sections. GL!!

Yes I am using the Kaplan book right now so hopefully everything goes well and my scores do increase. Thank you very much!:)

Hey I'm in the same boat as you. All of my applications are on hold and my first choice school interviewed me but wants me to retake. So i have it scheduled for Dec 12th. I haven't started restudying yet because I have been really busy. So yea, 1.5 weeks!

Members don't see this ad :)
DMDRi,

What are you studying? I don't even know what to start with! Probably gchem and try to relearn/rememorize all the ochem rxns.

Any tips for gchem? That section always gives me a lot of problems, especially all the pH problems which my last DAT was heavy on.

I'm taking my exam December 11th. I've been trying to study but feel like I am not getting anywhere. I guess I'm going to rely heavily on Destoyer and hope it works out!

destroyer, topscore, kaplan..mostly destroyer. I dunno im in a weird situation. This test is driving me crazy:eek: I wont be satisfied just being done with it, I want to DESTROY the s*** out of it man. but good luck Ill keep people posted!

JN

Good luck to all of you guys retaking the exam. Trust me I know how stressful it is. I am taking mine on the 13th, day after my finals end. I have an interview this week so I hope all goes well. Thank you all for your advice as well.

I have just been studying from my Kaplan and my notes and text books. I am also using topscore. I have been so booked with classes and everything so I hope everything turns out ok

How long have you all been studying for the retake?

I took mine aug. 31st, and I found it impossible to study before Nov 30th because I was kinda hoping that I would get accepted by my state school bc I interviewed with them. Well, nov 30th has come and gone and no love!

So I'm scheduled to retake Dec 12th... do you think 10 days of intense studying is enough? Or should I push it back a week.. does it really matter at this point if it is the 12th or the 19th?

I feel that I did poorly on my first attempt because I was so nervous and I got the "hard" version- with the Frap/ethics and my timing was way off because I spent too much time dwelling on these damn experimental bio questions!

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated!

I am also retaking (3.8 with 19AA)

Hopefully I will do better this time!

Good luck to all your re-takers.....I will be re-taking next year. Honestly if I would have gone with my gut feeling I would have rescheduled my test. I didn't feel like I had studied enough and my scores show......not to mention my bio and gen chem classes were freshman yr of college.....geometry was high school:scared: