Retaking the MCAT a third time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnrao

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just received my scores back from my second MCAT and I received the same score as last time..

The first time I essentially did all practice tests over the summer, while I was working and taking classes. and got a 27 (9V/8P/10B). The second time I was studying while taking a full course load and only focused on the material, instead of practice exams. I was trying to squeeze in the exam again before the new MCAT came out and took the test knowing I needed more time to study. . This time I got 10V/10P/7B. My GPA will be around a 3.65 by the time I graduate with significant extracurriculars, leadership positions, and shadowing.

While I know I'm in the range for DO schools I also don't want to limit my options by not applying to MD. I'd really appreciate any opinions on retaking the exam/applying to MD with these scores!

Members don't see this ad.

If retaking will improve your score, by all means take it again. You got to analyze the drop in Bio and work on that imo

Reactions: 1 user
I am kinda in the same position
I took the MCAT last month for the second time and I got the same score.
I am considering to retake it in August so I can still be able to apply this cycle.
Any advises that can help me improve?

Depends on what you're doing currently. If you are still in school and planning to apply this summer, then think carefully. We are about 3 months from June, when the AAMC starts the process. Do you think you have time to study during school for only 3 months? I say 3 months because it is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible. On the other hand, if you have no school, start studying now and take it in June.

Only retake if you're absolutely positive you can go up by at least three points. Having a three point drop in BS is going to look like you simply got lucky on the first one, so you better be sure you can get a killer score in the equivalent section of MCAT2015.