retaking the mcat after applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdepp1989

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 22N on on my MCAT. It was a disaster, the test didn't go well. I panicked in just about every section and it cost me, I know I can do much better. I want to apply DO.

Can I apply DO now, then retake the MCAT, and send them my scores in say August or September? Or would I have to do a whole new application and apply all over again? Or wait until next year?

8 BS
6 PS
8 VR

My GPA is unremarkable. C+ in Gen Chem II, C- in Organic Chem I, C in Org Chem II. 2.94 undergrad science GPA.

But I took 32 post-bac credits and really got my act together, all upper-level sciences, and I posted a 3.89 GPA. I work full-time as an EMT, and I also do a reasonable amount of volunteer work. I'm hoping that my late GPA surge will help me. I know my MCAT is poor, but I really want to apply now.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a 22N on on my MCAT. It was a disaster, the test didn't go well. I panicked in just about every section and it cost me, I know I can do much better. I want to apply DO.

Can I apply DO now, then retake the MCAT, and send them my scores in say August or September? Or would I have to do a whole new application and apply all over again? Or wait until next year?

8 BS
6 PS
8 VR

My GPA is unremarkable. C+ in Gen Chem II, C- in Organic Chem I, C in Org Chem II. 2.94 undergrad science GPA.

But I took 32 post-bac credits and really got my act together, all upper-level sciences, and I posted a 3.89 GPA. I work full-time as an EMT, and I also do a reasonable amount of volunteer work. I'm hoping that my late GPA surge will help me. I know my MCAT is poor, but I really want to apply now.

The late surge will certainly help you. And a 22N is okay to apply. But indicate that you are retaking the MCAT on your application. Also, when you say post-bac, are you talking about grad school or just community college stuff?

The late surge will certainly help you. And a 22N is okay to apply. But indicate that you are retaking the MCAT on your application. Also, when you say post-bac, are you talking about grad school or just community college stuff?

Thanks for the encouragement, it means a lot.

No, my post-bac work isn't grad school or community college. It was just an extension of undergrad done at a 4-year university after I had earned my bachelor's degree. I took courses like biochemistry, virology, advanced cell biology, molecular biology, genetics, advanced microbiology I, advanced microbiology II, immunology & serology and labs to go with some of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the encouragement, it means a lot.

No, my post-bac work isn't grad school or community college. It was just an extension of undergrad done at a 4-year university after I had earned my bachelor's degree. I took courses like biochemistry, virology, advanced cell biology, molecular biology, genetics, advanced microbiology I, advanced microbiology II, immunology & serology and labs to go with some of them.

Oh I see. Well, I think your post-bac stuff will be included in your total. So I'm thinking it will bring you up to about 3.2-3.3 ish. This isn't bad. 22N is okay to APPLY, but do make sure you can raise it. If not, it will look bad. But if you can get it to about 26 ish, you got a real good shot!

8 BS
6 PS
8 VR

That sounds good, but be ready for the retake.