retaking the mcat what should i do different

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khalesi92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took my first mcat in august 2014 and i did awful!!! I should not have taken it i was not ready at all! So i am retaking it in january the last one before the new 2015 exam. I really need advice tips anythingggg on what i should do different anything would help!
The first time I used kaplan courses I have the exam crackers books but I didnt focus much on those.
Please any help anything!!!! Im desperate

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it would beneficial to know how you prepared the first time around and where you see yourself now. I.e. what your biggest weaknesses and strengths are. It's important to do a full assessment of your ability as a second time test taker.

In general terms, there are countless ways to make this go-around better than the last!
Are you a visual learner? Check out Khan Academy
Are you an auditory learner? EK Audio Osmosis might do wonders for you
Do you benefit more from quick spurts of info rather than textbook reading? Take a look at Anki notecards and mcat-review.org

If nothing else, make sure you have quality study materials and ensure that you balance content review and practice appropriately.

PM me if you'd like additional advice. Cheers!

I would agree with the previous response, that it is difficult to say what you should do differently, if you don't tell us what you did the first time (other than not focus on Examkrackers and used Kaplan - which, in my candid opinion, was an unfortunate decision).

My generic advice to people in an MCAT time crunch or to those just starting out:

I'm a true believer in Examkrackers* (EK) Lecture books for solid concise MCAT science prep. I've known a couple people who scored 11's and 12's in PS and BS only using EK Lecture books (not even the 1001 questions series). The key is to make a point to know EVERYTHING in bold, in the diagrams, and in the columns very well. Understanding practically all of the questions in the lecture books is also important if you want an 11 or 12. If I were in your position, I would aim to learn EVERYTHING (period) in EK science books, but would prioritize (bold/diagrams/margins/questions).

TPR and AAMC are your best bets for verbal reasoning. AAMC practice full lengths are the best way to estimate your score and determine when you are ready.

Note, that in all likelihood, with any MCAT prep book including EK, you will have to occasionally look in additional places for more information or for additional practice problems. There is no book to date with enough practice and explanation on every single MCAT topic. Just use EK, and go online, youtube, chad videos, etc. (or to another book) if you need a little more info. In my observation, EK will NOT entirely leave out an important topic, but might not give quite as much information as some people would like on say incline planes, pulleys, or magnetism.

*If you haven't done so yet, if you search this forum, you will see that EK is one of the most highly regarded MCAT prep companies.

So I took my first mcat in august 2014 and i did awful!!! I should not have taken it i was not ready at all! So i am retaking it in january the last one before the new 2015 exam. I really need advice tips anythingggg on what i should do different anything would help!
The first time I used kaplan courses I have the exam crackers books but I didnt focus much on those.
Please any help anything!!!! Im desperate

Last edited: