Retaking the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NOS1179

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I hope I am not violating any rules about where to post this, but I was looking for advice about taking the MCAT again on October 25th. I took it originally 8/15/14 and received a 28, PS/VR/BS = 8/10/10. My practice averages for overall were 31, and for the last three a 33. I have a GPA of 3.65, but since my freshman year (when I was a history major) I have all A's. I am slightly nervous about not having the practice MCAT's to use as a tool since I used them all already, and was wondering what advice anyone may have as far as how to prepare in the 5 weeks I have before I take it again. Thanks for any and all input, and if there is any other further information needed from me please don't hesitate to ask.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat. I am doing a lot on content review and then may retake a few practice exams that I took first and hopefully don't remember that much. I took all AAMC and Kaplan FL already, but may look into buying TBR. Anyone have any feedback on those tests? Are they good/realistic?

I was going to retake the AAMC practice MCAT's as well, but only as a way to practice concepts/question format. As far as using them for their predictive quality I know that they won't be a reliable source as I've already seen the information, so I was wanting to do the same thing as you and find out what the best way to gauge myself is as far as secondary sources go. My stomach is is knots just thinking about starting down this road of studying again...ughh.

Reactions: 1 user
Just make sure you apply early and include DO schools as backup. You should be able to get in with a 28.

Members don't see this ad :)
What materials do you have?

Best piece of advice I can give you with the limited info you provided: Timed practice + critical review!
Get TPR science workbook if you don't have it already. Do passages every day and review everything! Supplement your studying (should be intense) with lighter content - i.e. videos, flashcards, smart phone apps, even podcasts.

I'd be happy to give you more of my 2 cents if you offer a bit more info.

Cheers!!

Thanks for the information Nextstep, I'd love to get any and all feedback that you can offer. What other information are you wanting/needing from me, I'd be more than happy to provide whatever it is you need from me.