retina fellowship questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bump for any updates on results.

Members don't see this ad.

As the new fellowship app season is under way, I'm starting to narrow down my list of apps, and I've realized I know almost nothing about any of the Boston or Florida (except BP) surgical retinal fellowship programs...

Does anyone have any insight into these programs in terms of training experience and/or reputation?

thanks

Hey guys,

I'm from Toronto, and wondering if there are any programs in the US that don't require the USMLE?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any comments (good or bad) on the following problems:

1. Loma Linda
2. UCLA
3. USC
4. UCSD
5. UCI

UAB -- Morris or Mason Fellowship

Simply put, it will be hard for any retina fellow to truly find a retina fellowship that matches these two positions.

A retina fellow here should expect upwards of 1000 retina surgeries as primary surgeons. No observational fellowship here or 200-400 case retina load like most places. These two places in Birmingham are exactly what you are looking for if you are looking to be trained.

As a retina fellow with the Morris fellowship I was in the OR 3.5 days a week for 2 years straight and did 1400 surgeries. By the time I finished, I was completing EMP cases counting peripheral laser in 20 minutes and standard retinal detachments in under 30 routinely. The doctors in Birmingham are top notch and the best I have heard of or seen. They want you to be better and pride themselves on making you solid retina surgeons. If doubtful, I encourage you to ask your Alcon reps where most retina surgery is done. You will be surprised to hear that Birmingham is consistently in the top 2 in the country -- let me repeat, there is just as much retina surgery in Birmingham as there is anywhere -- and Morris and Mason are some of the best, if not the best, retina surgeons in the country. You can learn a great deal from each of them.

Obviously, I am a big supporter of these two programs. When you are considering a retina fellowship, you cannot pick a place solely on name. Some of these places may allow you to only do 100-200 surgeries or just watch for the most part. Ultimately, a name does not help you when you are the one responsible for a person's care. The name does not do the surgery for you. The programs in Birmingham will make you good surgeons and will give you the tools you need for success. I strongly recommend these programs.

My best advice:
As above message says: Only look and apply to University based academic programs PERIOD.

Hi guys, this is very useful, any advise for this year applicants?
Cheers