Retina Publications for fellowship... about how many to apply

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by plasticbuddy, 07.17.12.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. plasticbuddy

plasticbuddy Member 7+ Year Member

Hi guys, just curious how many publications do you think it takes to be somewhat competitive in Retina Fellowship applications?

What do you think the average applicant has vs the average matched?

I am just curious because it had always been a weak spot on my CV but I really have been trying to do more and ironically (this late in the process) I find it intellectually stimulating and enjoyable. I have thought about holding off on applying because I really want to make a meaningful contribution to the field before I apply.

I currently only have 2 posters, a book chapter, and a case discussion in Retina. I have done peer review of 3 journal articles also. I have one big name letter writer who will likely go to bat for me, the other two rec writers are not well known in the field. I went to a small "no-name" residency but an extremely prestigious ivy league med school. I recently passed the written boards also (thank god!). I am geographically flexible and willing to train in any locale just as long as the training was solid.

I am already out in practice so applying is an odd task for me, it requires taking time off work which is not necessarily fair to my colleagues or patients.

I apologize for the "what are my chances" element to this thread but I seriously don't want to plan time away from my work & patients if the chances are very low. I told my colleagues about my desire to do retina at some point and want to be honest and realistic about future plans.

I love retina, its awesome!

Thanks for your help in advance knowledgeable SDN'ers.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Visionary

Visionary Medical Retinologist 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    All over the map. Depends on where you want to train. If you're looking for a high-end academic training center, you need more. If you want a program to prepare you for private practice, you need less. For the latter, I think your current background is fine, actually. I've known folks who matched to good programs with no more than a couple of unpublished projects.

4. plasticbuddy

plasticbuddy Member 7+ Year Member

Thanks so much Visionary, your help is really appreciated.

About the ads