Retook MCAT and got the same score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrsonsai

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied last year and got a 25 (10 BS 10 VR 5 PS). I retook a few months ago and got a 25 again (9 BS 9 VR 7 PS). I'm glad that I improved my PS score, but I'm still very disappointed that my overall score does not show for it.

I did not apply to DO schools last year. The one MD school I interviewed with said that I should retake the MCAT and reapply. I'm hoping they see the PS improvement as some sort of improvement, but I won't be putting all of my eggs in that basket.

Anyone have any advice? I've been working as a scribe with a DO and I've loved the experience. I definitely wouldn't mind attending a DO school. I'm just worried that schools will see I've taken the MCAT twice and had no overall improvement. I really don't know if retaking the test will be worthwhile for me.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't want to retake the MCAT, and you're cool with DO, then look at the masters programs hosted at DO schools. If you visit the postbac subforum, you'll see reviews of these programs from current & former students. These programs serve as an audition for the host school (and arguably for other DO schools), and if you do great for 2 years then you get a seat without having to retake a low MCAT. I'm generally opposed to getting a free pass on the MCAT, but these programs are out there, and some of the best DO schools have them (PCOM, LECOM, TCOM etc).

But understand that the MCAT is important and a 25 is just bad, period. In med school and for the rest of your career, you'll be faced with hours-long multiple-choice exams covering years of difficult content. You should be very concerned about your ability to pass these tests on the first try, because not passing them is career-limiting. Step 1, in particular, is about 7 hours long, 10x harder than the MCAT, and it will determine the specialties you can and cannot pursue.

I suggest also visiting the MCAT subforum, and reviewing the MCAT prep strategies such as SN2. Did you do the absolute best work of your life on your 2nd MCAT take? If not, why not? Are you willing to do the absolute best work of your life on a 3rd take? If so, then yeah, look at a 3rd take, and by God break 30. If you're not willing to do that work, then prepare for massive suckage if you get a med school to let you in.

You're not saying anything about the rest of your app, and please understand that if you also have a low GPA and/or weak EC's or letters, then an MCAT retake is just one thing on your list if you want to go to med school.

Best of luck to you.

You've reached your cieling and you're still competitive for some, not all DO schools. Apply broadly, especially to the newest schools. Skip the Touros and CCOM. Would you mind PMing me what MD school you got the interview at?

I applied last year and got a 25 (10 BS 10 VR 5 PS). I retook a few months ago and got a 25 again (9 BS 9 VR 7 PS). I'm glad that I improved my PS score, but I'm still very disappointed that my overall score does not show for it.

I did not apply to DO schools last year. The one MD school I interviewed with said that I should retake the MCAT and reapply. I'm hoping they see the PS improvement as some sort of improvement, but I won't be putting all of my eggs in that basket.

Anyone have any advice? I've been working as a scribe with a DO and I've loved the experience. I definitely wouldn't mind attending a DO school. I'm just worried that schools will see I've taken the MCAT twice and had no overall improvement. I really don't know if retaking the test will be worthwhile for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree that retaking would be pointless, assuming you prepared properly for the first two tests. Three scores in the mid-twenties are not better than two.

Goro, why not Touro and CCOM?

Agree that retaking would be pointless, assuming you prepared properly for the first two tests. Three scores in the mid-twenties are not better than two.

Goro, why not Touro and CCOM?
Because @Goro knows OP's score won't be competitive there

Precisely. Both schools have MCAT avgs of acceptees around 30+. BTW, OP would be rejected from my school as well.

So I can make sure it's not on my list, what school is your school?

But understand that the MCAT is important and a 25 is just bad, period.

Ignore this. 25 will get you interviews to MANY DO schools

apply broadly to DO, and you will get in somewhere. 25 is only a little below average for DO schools. I would not waste my time with MD.

Getting in is not a good thing if you aren't ready for the work, specifically if you don't yet know how to stay on top of constant hours-long multiple-choice tests covering vast amounts of material.

Med schools that accept students with really low scores also remediate and dismiss a lot of students. No backsies on those student loans.

Getting in is not a good thing if you aren't ready for the work, specifically if you don't yet know how to stay on top of constant hours-long multiple-choice tests covering vast amounts of material.

Med schools that accept students with really low scores also remediate and dismiss a lot of students. No backsies on those student loans.

meh I don't buy it. I had a low MCAT and feel that I am ready. I took the MCAT once, had a low VR, and chose not to retake. I feel very ready (graduated with a 3.89)

I girl from my undergrad got into a DO school with a 21 MCAT, and is now in an AOA derm residency...so I'd venture to guess she did pretty dang well in med school to land derm. Also, as a scribe I work with many doctor and residents. EVERY SINGLE ONE says that the MCAT and boards are two totally different types of tests. Many of them said they sucked up the MCAT and killed the boards.

Ill let you know in a few years how it goes ;)

Sounds like you've made a reasoned and balanced decision for your own situation. But will you go so far as to advise others that blowing off the MCAT is a good plan?

Good planning does not rely on "I got away with it" anecdotes. Might as well buy lottery tickets.

Members don't see this ad :)
meh I don't buy it. I had a low MCAT and feel that I am ready. I took the MCAT once, had a low VR, and chose not to retake. I feel very ready (graduated with a 3.89)

I girl from my undergrad got into a DO school with a 21 MCAT, and is now in an AOA derm residency...so I'd venture to guess she did pretty dang well in med school to land derm. Also, as a scribe I work with many doctor and residents. EVERY SINGLE ONE says that the MCAT and boards are two totally different types of tests. Many of them said they sucked up the MCAT and killed the boards.

Ill let you know in a few years how it goes ;)
They're not "two totally different types of tests," and that's why most studies on this subject find a correlation between board scores and MCAT scores. On the other hand, it isn't a super strong correlation, so you do have scenarios like what you described where someone with an average or even below average MCAT can do very well on the boards or vice versa. The boards in particular reward memorization of large amounts of material much more than the MCAT does. But all else being equal (i.e., same level of medical knowledge), the person who is a better standardized test-taker will do better on the boards than the person who isn't. Considering how many standardized tests you will be taking during (and even after) your medical training, it's definitely wise to learn the skills to at least perform adequately on them. Because if nothing else, taking these tests costs a small fortune. If you thought the MCAT was expensive, wait until you pay to sit for the USMLE. And if you think *that* is expensive, wait till you see how much the specialty boards are. (Just registered to take mine, so still feeling the sting. :eek:)

Reactions: 1 user

apply broadly to DO, and you will get in somewhere. 25 is only a little below average for DO schools. I would not waste my time with MD.

I agree 100%. Also, @DrMidlife, one of the top DO schools in the country, KCUMB, has an average MCAT of 26. Therefore, we can assume that a fair share of their students in their class (a large class size of 265) were accepted with MCAT scores of 25 or lower. KCUMB has a very low attrition rate, impressive board scores, and great match lists. Our OP having an MCAT of 25 will surely get him/her into a decent osteopathic medical school (as long as he/she has an acceptable GPA as well), and can definitely succeed as a physician. It's not like we're dealing with a 19 or 20 MCAT here.

Sounds like you've made a reasoned and balanced decision for your own situation. But will you go so far as to advise others that blowing off the MCAT is a good plan?

Good planning does not rely on "I got away with it" anecdotes. Might as well buy lottery tickets.

i was not advising she "blow off the MCAT". she already took it twice.

They're not "two totally different types of tests," and that's why most studies on this subject find a correlation between board scores and MCAT scores. On the other hand, it isn't a super strong correlation, so you do have scenarios like what you described where someone with an average or even below average MCAT can do very well on the boards or vice versa. The boards in particular reward memorization of large amounts of material much more than the MCAT does. But all else being equal (i.e., same level of medical knowledge), the person who is a better standardized test-taker will do better on the boards than the person who isn't. Considering how many standardized tests you will be taking during (and even after) your medical training, it's definitely wise to learn the skills to at least perform adequately on them. Because if nothing else, taking these tests costs a small fortune. If you thought the MCAT was expensive, wait until you pay to sit for the USMLE. And if you think *that* is expensive, wait till you see how much the specialty boards are. (Just registered to take mine, so still feeling the sting. :eek:)

I can definitely agree with a lot this. Good luck on your upcoming tests

i was not advising she "blow off the MCAT". she already took it twice.
Let me be more specific about what I mean: I suggest that it's not a good idea to advise a two-time 25'er, who clearly worked very hard for those 25's, that they don't have to worry about it.

Let me be more specific about what I mean: I suggest that it's not a good idea to advise a two-time 25'er, who clearly worked very hard for those 25's, that they don't have to worry about it.

If she worked hard for them and can't do any better, she should apply. She will get in SOMEWHERE. But I digress. Let's just see what happens this cycle for OP

I have about as much respect for this whole Low MCAT Rights Movement as I do for anti-vaxxers.

Reactions: 1 users
I have about as much respect for this whole Low MCAT Rights Movement as I do for anti-vaxxers.

LOL! I don't believe in low MCAT "rights"....but bottom line is that her score of 25 is about average for DO schools

I interject to say that I am, in fact, a "he". I appreciate all of the advice. According to AACOMAS, my sgpa is 3.02, cgpa is 3.45. I'm applying very broadly to DO schools as well as post-bac and SMP programs.

Currently drafting up my personal statement; PM me if you'd like to read it and offer some feedback and advice.