Retook the AAMC Scored Practice Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harrybean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Fellow retaker here :)

I just finished taking the AAMC scored test for the second time (first time in March) and I got a 514 (129,127,129,129). I want to be happy with it but I'm not sure what this score really means as I have already taken it before. I pretty much didn't remember any of the problems except the CARS passages...

Any retakers want to shed light on what this score means for the actual test?

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished taking the AAMC scored test for the second time (first time in March) and I got a 514 (129,127,129,129). I want to be happy with it but I'm not sure what this score really means as I have already taken it before. I pretty much didn't remember any of the problems except the CARS passages...

I took it February (516), April (518), and took the real one in May (520). Of course, this may not be the case for everyone, but if it's been several months since the first attempt, IMO most of the improvement will have been from increased content knowledge and increased familiarity with the exam structure. When are you taking the actual exam?

I took it February (516), April (518), and took the real one in May (520). Of course, this may not be the case for everyone, but if it's been several months since the first attempt, IMO most of the improvement will have been from increased content knowledge and increased familiarity with the exam structure. When are you taking the actual exam?
Im taking it on 9/01.. Before doing this test I was actually planning on postponing to 9/10 :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read many posts on it and it seems like it would be a good idea to average your two scores and then expect a score close to your average.

Sorry, but I don't think retake scores on practice tests are valid whatsoever. You remember stuff from the first time you took it, even if you don't know that you remember stuff. What was your first score?

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, but I don't think retake scores on practice tests are valid whatsoever. You remember stuff from the first time you took it, even if you don't know that you remember stuff. What was your first score?

I think it is somewhat inflated. So it's a good idea to average and expect a score close to the average.

You know this is why the AAMC needs to release more practice tests!

I got a 506 my first time in mid-March.

So are you guys saying I would expect around a 510??

I would be wary of using a retake as any sort of predicting factor for actual test performance. The "practice effect" is no joke.

Reactions: 1 users
i took the scored once in may and got a 501, then retook it in july and got a 509
my real score was a 504 so I suggest you average the two scores

Retaking a test that you have already taken holds no validity. The original score you got holds validity, while the retake holds little water. Assess the actual importance by going through the questions you missed and honestly deciding 'I got this right because I understood the answer' vs 'I guessed right' or 'I remembered I missed this question because of x so it is pry y answer'.

I know with the unscored practice test, even thought I had taken it a year+ before, Baddeley's process had somehow worked aspects of the test into my long-term memory. I think the most validity will be from a test you haven't taken before. All the best; hope it goes well!

It's definitely going to be inflated, at least by a couple of points. I took the scored FL back in May right before my MCAT and I can still remember some of the passages, enough that I wouldn't have to read them as closely as if it were my first time through.

Retaking the same test is definitely useless.

I believe the AAMC is releasing a new practice exam this fall? I don't know when you're retaking or the exact date the test is coming out, but at least it's more practice material!

Like everyone has said above me, you can't put any stock into a repeat exam. First of all, you should be reviewing/learning/memorizing every single q you got wrong or less than 100% confident on after each Fl you take.

And if you were honest and faithful after doing that, then wtf is the point of retaking the same exam?

Thank you guys for all your feedback! I guess I'll put my head down and keep grinding.

I'm not sure if this is a good plan but I plan on using my last 2 weeks finishing EK 1,NS 2 and NS 3 :)

Was the averaging of your first and retake predictive of your actual score?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I took each AAMC practice test twice, minths apart. My second score was a 518. I got a 518 on the real thing.

Reactions: 2 users