Reuse med school PS for residency app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Richspiders07

User - peruser
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has used bits and pieces from their medical school application personal statement for their residency app? I feel like [for the most part] my statement still works really well with a few additions. The reason why I went in to medicine / my strengths pretty clearly lined me up with EM from the get go.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Eh...personally, I'm against it, but that's primarily because I think most med school PS statements are uber lame (I interviewed applicants for my school).

Maybe some other people on here can speak to it. One of the great things about applying to EM is that it's a fairly laid back speciality (relative to many other established fields), so I felt like I had a bit of freedom to do some fun things in my PS. I would encourage you to have fun with it is what I'm saying.

One of the great things about applying to EM is that it's a fairly laid back speciality (relative to many other established fields), so I felt like I had a bit of freedom to do some fun things in my PS. I would encourage you to have fun with it is what I'm saying.

agreed. I talked about digging legos and puzzles more than dolls in my original...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not use your med school app for residency. Haven't you grown in 4 years? Liking legos and puzzles more than dolls - enh, so what. That is more generic medicine than emergency specific. This is just my gut reaction. Its not that much effort to come up with a new ps.

My .02.

Thanks for starting this thread OP! I was thinking of doing the exact same thing. My med school PS talked about how my experiences growing up directed me towards a career in EM. Those past events haven't changed so I don't see why I would have to start all over. I would of course add in any experience or perspective that I gained in medical school. The only thing I would worry about is whether direct text would fall under the category of "plagiarizing yourself". Don't want to get kicked out for plagiarism.

I don't see it as a problem, ipso facto. So long as your original PS didn't plagiarize, reusing it wouldn't constitute plagiarism. Of course, you shouldn't do it out of laziness. But if you truly believe that your old PS is the best representation of yourself, then I say go ahead and use it.

Also, leave out the words:
As I came around the corner I saw the car accident...
One time on a plane they asked for a doctor, any doctor...
Etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess everybody has their own way of doing these things.

I had a "standard thank you letter" for after interviews that I just changed the hospital names and dates and added a few personal sentences. This saved time & some effort but it seemed like the thank yous didn't have much personality. When I wrote a few "I really hope I match with you guys" letters after interviews, I wrote each one from the beginning and they seemed much more genuine.

I would say that for something like your PS which is reasonably important and will be the basis of a good many interview conversations, it's worth starting at the beginning and writing it all properly. Sure you can reuse a few turns of phrase you think worked in the past but I think you're probably writing from a different perspective than you were 3 years ago.

Eh...personally, I'm against it, but that's primarily because I think most med school PS statements are uber lame (I interviewed applicants for my school).

Maybe some other people on here can speak to it. One of the great things about applying to EM is that it's a fairly laid back speciality (relative to many other established fields), so I felt like I had a bit of freedom to do some fun things in my PS. I would encourage you to have fun with it is what I'm saying.

It is a rare personal statement for residency applications that is interesting. For the most part, the PS: checks to make sure someone can write coherently and with correct spelling/grammer, and to potentially give non-traditionals or people who have something 'different' to explain.

It is a rare personal statement for residency applications that is interesting. For the most part, the PS: checks to make sure someone can write coherently and with correct spelling/grammer, and to potentially give non-traditionals or people who have something 'different' to explain.

I agree that it's rare for a personal statement to be interesting, but I think that's a direct result of how people have gotten into the same routine of writing about the same boring crap that everyone else writes about. As a result, the second the reader finishes the 2nd or 3rd sentence, they've already glossed over the rest (since it has nothing new to offer).

My point was that it's a great opportunity to indeed do something different and "stand out" in a way other than a 295 on Step 1. Not to mention, it can provide for some interesting conversation. My PS was more than mentioned in probably 3/4 of my interviews.

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I was just curious: do residencies have access to your medical school personal statement? Obviously I've grown since then, but I was thinking about using bits and pieces from my med school personal statement

Im 99% sure that PDs don't have access to your AMCAS application.

Either way they wouldn't care about what you wrote 4 years ago...

I am really dreading writing the PS. It was hard enough writing the "Why do you want to rotate here?" essays on VSAS.

Reactions: 1 user
Im 99% sure that PDs don't have access to your AMCAS application.

Either way they wouldn't care about what you wrote 4 years ago...

I hope so! When i was googling about this, I came across a website geared towards plastic surgery applicants and they advised "Do not reuse your AMCAS statement (the one from your medical school application). We wouldn’t mention it if it didn’t happen."

but if PDs dont have access/dont care, then that answers my question! Thanks.

Write about being a semi professional competitive eater. Worked for me.

Of course it helps if you actually ARE one.

So I guess what I'm saying is, ill see you at the rib eating qualifier in Sunday. Bring an intact gallbladder.

Reactions: 1 users
There is a pretty nationally relevant physician who teaches physiology at my med school (sadly hired after I finished physio). He always said that the PS should be a place to be unique, to find a quote you live by or a historical figure who inspires you. Except Gandhi. Don't ever quote Gandhi. Even if you're a proud Desi. Do not try to be like Gandhi or channel him at all.

Gandhi hated physicians. A detail nearly every physician I've met on an AdComm is quite aware of, and basically no student is aware of.

Challenge accepted.

Kanye West, the Michelangelo of our generation, said it best with, “For me to say I wasn’t a genius, I would just be lying to you and to myself.” Although Kanye West and the field of emergency medicine have been around for about the same time, both have had a profound impact on myself and the physician I hope to be in the future. It's this creative genius character that Kanye describes, a trait I feel I strongly possess, that has attracted me to the field of emergency medicine. Out-of-the-box problem solving is a necessary trait to be successful in this field and many of my mentors would agree, such as Dr. Dre. Just a few weeks ago when I was playing a charity golf tournament at Harvard University with the chair, a man collapsed on the green. Carefully placing my club on the ground as to not count for a stroke, I rushed over to the victim. Unresponsive and quickly turning blue, my right brain became dominant and I successfully performed a cricothyrotomy usually only a golf tee and plastic straw. The patient obviously survived and in light of his gratitude, has bequeathed his beautiful swimsuit model daughter to me. Without this inventive imagination, the man would be dead.

Innovative ideas are behind the studies that reinforce the concept of evidence-based medicine. It requires someone to think outside of the lines and to strive for excellence. While describing all of the ways I have saved someone's life or correctly diagnosed them would exceed the space allotted for the personal statement, I leave you with one more example. While scuba diving near the Great Barrier Reef, the divemaster and I were looking for buried treasure in an old shipwreck. Unfortunately, the divemaster panicked when we opened a door and saw a school of hammerhead sharks. He rushed to the surface without emergency stops and quickly started showing signs of decompression sickness. To save the stranger's life, I summoned a small whale while waiting for the Coast Guard to come airlift him to a decompression chamber. I singlehandedly placed the divemaster inside the whale's mouth and held the blowhole shut as to keep air inside. With the self-made hyperbaric chamber in place, the divemaster hovered in between life and death. A few days later after he came to, the divemaster thanked me profusely for saving my life on Good Morning America.

The fast pace and ever-changing environment attract me to the field of emergency medicine. I believe my unique problem-solving skills and quick thinking are traits that will enable me to be the best emergency physician to walk the earth. With these experiences, I can identify with Kanye when he said, "I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I'll never be able to see myself perform live."

Reactions: 6 users
Challenge accepted.

Kanye West, the Michelangelo of our generation, said it best with, “For me to say I wasn’t a genius, I would just be lying to you and to myself.” Although Kanye West and the field of emergency medicine have been around for about the same time, both have had a profound impact on myself and the physician I hope to be in the future. It's this creative genius character that Kanye describes, a trait I feel I strongly possess, that has attracted me to the field of emergency medicine. Out-of-the-box problem solving is a necessary trait to be successful in this field and many of my mentors would agree, such as Dr. Dre. Just a few weeks ago when I was playing a charity golf tournament at Harvard University with the chair, a man collapsed on the green. Carefully placing my club on the ground as to not count for a stroke, I rushed over to the victim. Unresponsive and quickly turning blue, my right brain became dominant and I successfully performed a cricothyrotomy usually only a golf tee and plastic straw. The patient obviously survived and in light of his gratitude, has bequeathed his beautiful swimsuit model daughter to me. Without this inventive imagination, the man would be dead.

Innovative ideas are behind the studies that reinforce the concept of evidence-based medicine. It requires someone to think outside of the lines and to strive for excellence. While describing all of the ways I have saved someone's life or correctly diagnosed them would exceed the space allotted for the personal statement, I leave you with one more example. While scuba diving near the Great Barrier Reef, the divemaster and I were looking for buried treasure in an old shipwreck. Unfortunately, the divemaster panicked when we opened a door and saw a school of hammerhead sharks. He rushed to the surface without emergency stops and quickly started showing signs of decompression sickness. To save the stranger's life, I summoned a small whale while waiting for the Coast Guard to come airlift him to a decompression chamber. I singlehandedly placed the divemaster inside the whale's mouth and held the blowhole shut as to keep air inside. With the self-made hyperbaric chamber in place, the divemaster hovered in between life and death. A few days later after he came to, the divemaster thanked me profusely for saving my life on Good Morning America.

The fast pace and ever-changing environment attract me to the field of emergency medicine. I believe my unique problem-solving skills and quick thinking are traits that will enable me to be the best emergency physician to walk the earth. With these experiences, I can identify with Kanye when he said, "I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I'll never be able to see myself perform live."

im-okay-with-this-89996336671.png

I have a different question regarding PS for residency. I was so flustered when I submitted my elective applications that I sent half of them my residency PS with very minor changes. Does that mean I have to re-write my PS for these programs? Will they remember that it was the same PS I used for electives?