Review of Anesthesia Program at SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Downstate Slave

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current resident at SUNY Downstate and wanted to post a brief review of the program and get everyone’s input.

A few weeks another, a fellow resident posted a review on the website scutwork and it opened up a firestorm in our department amongst our residents and attendings. Subsequently the anesthesia administration had the chief residents, program coordinator and a recent graduate of the program who is working here as an attending to write a positive and false review of the program. In response, more residents started writing on scutwork to express our displeasure. As many of you saw from the 2010 match, 12 spots went unfilled in anesthesia at our program which constituted close to 50% of the unmatched spots in the country. There are many reasons for this and I will lay it out from a resident’s perspective.

1. We get held back if we do poorly on the ITE or AKT exams. You will get these warning letters in the mail to improve your performance on the next exam or threatened with being held back 6-12 months. There have been numerous lawsuits by former residents against the program director and anyone can look these up on any search engine so none of this is secret knowledge. She has had a stranglehold on the program for decades and everyone is terrified to speak up. Most of the attendings are graduates of the program and know how she has ruled with an iron fist and still have traumatic experiences from their residency. Hence, they are scared to stand up for residents for fear of their jobs and being reprimanded. The attendings talk behind the back of the program director and hate when she is in the OR.

She has constantly manipulated ACGME and anyone coming to survey the program. We have a Core Clinical Competency made up of selected attendings. According to the ACGME, the program director cannot sit on these meetings or influence the decision of the CCC. However, over here, she pressures the head of the CCC directly or indirectly through the residency coordinator. Every resident has a file with positives and negatives. If you do well on the exams, the positive evaluations will be prominent. However, if you start doing poorly on the exams, the positive reviews “disappear” and the negative ones start to accrue. So when it comes time to report the resident to the ASA and ACGME for being held back, the program director has “ammunition” to justify holding back that resident. Its very shady business but it has been done successfully for years and now the residents are trying to get this nonsense out in the open for everyone to see.

Also your scores are leaked to the entire department. The program director just sent everyone an email with a list of residents who got over a 60% on the recent ITE. Now, imagine the resident who got a 50-something percentile who is now considered a “bad” resident? Do you think this is right? Is this even allowed by ACGME? Why doesn’t ACGME do something about this?

We have had 4 residency coordinators over the past 3 years. One residency coordinator even quit after 3 weeks because how malignant it was working in the anesthesia office for the program director. If the program director has an agenda against you, you better score well on those exams or you might as well get a 6-month sentence. This continues to destroy the morale of the department and new applicants can see through all of this. Many of the residents have gradually gotten proactive in telling new applicants and medical students NOT to apply here. I am sure the program director and administration will read this post and will somehow try to refute it again. They will probably send all the residents in the program a mass email and threaten us or warn us that we are being unprofessional for posting on the internet reviews of the program. In fact they will go on a witch-hunt to find out who is writing negative but true things about the program. But enough is enough and after years of being treated poorly and scorned by administration, the residents are finally standing up. Its not 1 or 2 disillusioned or angry residents, but many in every level of training. We are frustrated that no one to listen to us. We have regular meetings with the chairman but everyone is terrified to speak up because of the threat of being held back and fearing retribution from the administration.

2. The program is delusional in that they think the reason they didn’t fill their spots was because mainly of location and that they didn’t rank enough applicants. What they don’t realize is that with the internet and forums, applicants are doing their homework and programs cannot hide their deficiencies anymore. This year there were NO SUNY Downstate students who are coming to the anesthesia program here. Many saw how the residents are treated and how poor the training and education is here and many made the decision not to come here. Location does impact many applicant’s decision but if the program is considered pro-resident and strong, I am sure that place will be highly competitive. And we are talking about anesthesia, a highly competitive and sought after residency spot.

3. At Downstate hospitals, residents sleep in BUNK BEDS! The OR director knew that the attending’s call room was going to be under construction and instead of relaying this information to the attendings, residents and department, everyone found out about this after the fact. So what does the hospital and department do? They take our call room and give it to the attendings and force us to sleep in BUNK BEDS. Yes, professional, grown up adults who are physicians are forced to sleep in BUNK BEDS like we were cattle rounded up and confined into a small space. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE AT ALL. I don’t care what sort of excuses the administration is making but this is a clear example to every applicant out there that you will be treated like an animal here with no respect.

4. Our beloved clinical director at Downstate is going to Stony Brook after the department turned their backs on him. For over a decade he was the only pro-resident attending who would stand up for residents. All the residents are extremely sad and disappointed he is leaving. He pushed all the residents in learning and protected us from the wrath of other malignant attendings and surgeons.

So enough of the negative stuff. So what needs to be done? If the chairman is serious about improving the program, I hope he will take these into consideration.

1. The program director needs to step down her post. It would be best if she was let go completely because the whole program has been destroyed at the core and the morale has been completely sapped. We can make a million changes, but this is the one that needs to be done if ANY change can be expected. The light will start to shine the moment she is gone and instantly this program will become one of the most competitive places in NYC. In fact, a lot of the older administration needs to step down. They are conniving, manipulative who are only there to collect a paycheck. There is one pediatric attending who will whine and complain when she has to work with a junior resident because she doesn’t want to teach and wants a senior to run the case. We are in a TRAINING PROGRAM!

2. The residency coordinator needs to get relocated FAR away from residents and new applicants. We had applicants this year who said they got a bad vibe from the program because the residency coordinator was boorish, rude and cold. One applicant in particular commented on how she was constantly talking down to the residents. She is very difficult to work with. Oftentimes, she will yell at residents in the middle of meetings in front of colleagues and attendings. She sits on those CCC meetings and influences who moves on to the next level of training and who doesn’t! The residency coordinator is supposed to be a resident advocate and understanding to our needs but in this place its an antagonistic relationship. They are the first face a new applicant sees at a program and if you see someone who is rude and with a sour disposition, immediately someone will think “whats wrong with this place?”

3. The infrastructure is in place for this program to be remarkable and one of the best in NYC. Kings County provides us with excellent trauma, LICH gives us an insight into ASA 1 and 2 patients from an outpatient perspective, SUNY has some of the sickest patients with severe cardiac and renal issues, Lutheran provides some great regional experience, Maimonides and Beth Israel great cardiac anesthesia, and Sloan Kettering with good neuroanesthesia. All we need is a pro-resident program director who trained at another institution with new and innovative ideas who will utilize the current infrastructure and make this an amazing place to be. There are about a handful amazing attendings in this program. The clinical director at LICH, who was voted teacher of the year, is one of the best teachers in the program and a lot of residents really appreciate him and his efforts. The pediatric anesthesiologist who trained in LA is probably the most favorite attending in the entire program because he has the wildest ideas and makes anesthesia really fun to learn. The rest are just there to collect a paycheck and hope that you don’t kill anyone.

4. We need a stronger regional presence. If this means arranging away rotations, then this should be done. Right now, we are very, very weak in regional almost to the point where we are being very liberal in how we record our regional numbers to get by for ACGME.

5. SUNY Downstate anesthesia is notorious for holding back residents for poor exams however the department does not realize that some residents are poor test takers but do have the knowledge and are clinically very strong. It’s all about numbers at this place and that needs to change. The emphasis should still be on the ITE and AKT exams but if you do poorly, there should be a system to HELP those residents- some lectures, question bank sessions, review courses, etc.- rather than threatening the residents by holding them back.

I don’t think any of my recommendations are unreasonable. None of us are asking for better hours, more opportunities to make more money, etc. We are tired of this malignant environment and are concerned about our education and training. Being an anesthesiologist is not just about taking tests, but being clinical sound and competent. If the chairman of our program is reading this, the residents at SUNY Downstate anesthesia are pleading with you to make some of the proposed recommendations. No one will come forth and talk because they are terrified of the program director finding out and destroying their medical careers. There is a resistance brewing here at Downstate and human history has taught us that oppressed groups of people will eventually stand up for all the transgressions against them and finally the Downstate anesthesia residents are speaking up for years of abuse.

If anyone on this forum can comment and give us some insight, we would appreciate it. I don’t consider any of what I wrote to be false and any new applicant is always welcome to come visit us and see firsthand the trauma we are experiencing here.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow.

I'm sorry to hear that degree of malcontent; I know that we (residents) voluntarily signed up to work hard during residency training, but the programs also voluntarily signed up to educate us. My program has issues that can be improved, but I'm quite happy overall - I can only imagine how bad it is for you to write such a lengthy post.

I went to medical school in metro New York. I do not know the inside of the Downstate program personally (did not go there, did not interview there), but I will verify what you've said about the "buzz" about the program. In the NYC/Long Island area, the rumors I heard about the program were not positive. The Post Graduate Assembly (PGA) Conference held in Times Square every December has an enormous number of NY area residents and medical students, and I attended each of the four years of medical school. The number of people from NYC schools and residencies saying to avoid Downstate was incredible. I only chose to interview at a couple of places in NYC, and, given the feedback I'd collected throughout medical school, it was clear Downstate would not be one of them.

I hope the situation improves, and wish you the best of luck.

dc

I don't understand the timing of the review on scutwork.com. Why wait until after the match to write bad reviews. It would of been of great help to write it in Feb when we were making our rank list. Now all this does is provide me great anxiety until July. Thanks though

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if I sound ignorant, but is SUNY Downstate the same as SUNY HSC Brooklyn?

I don't understand the timing of the review on scutwork.com. Why wait until after the match to write bad reviews. It would of been of great help to write it in Feb when we were making our rank list. Now all this does is provide me great anxiety until July. Thanks though

I've noticed whenever people post flaming reviews near rank list day, they almost always get burned for trying to "reduce the competition."

When I interviewed there I heard nothing but positive comments about the program from residents. Still something seemed fishy about the place.

Where were all you guys on interview day? Either there are just a few really bitter residents out there, or more concerningly, they were all intimidated.

Looking back at interview season as a whole, I really heard very few if any negative comments at ANY of the programs I visited. I suppose I'll find out for myself soon enough, but are residents generally threatened not to say anything to applicants that's not a glowing endorsement of the program?

I am a current resident at SUNY Downstate and wanted to post a brief review of the program and get everyone’s input.

A few weeks another, a fellow resident posted a review on the website scutwork and it opened up a firestorm in our department amongst our residents and attendings. Subsequently the anesthesia administration had the chief residents, program coordinator and a recent graduate of the program who is working here as an attending to write a positive and false review of the program. In response, more residents started writing on scutwork to express our displeasure. As many of you saw from the 2010 match, 12 spots went unfilled in anesthesia at our program which constituted close to 50% of the unmatched spots in the country. There are many reasons for this and I will lay it out from a resident’s perspective.

1. We get held back if we do poorly on the ITE or AKT exams. You will get these warning letters in the mail to improve your performance on the next exam or threatened with being held back 6-12 months. There have been numerous lawsuits by former residents against the program director and anyone can look these up on any search engine so none of this is secret knowledge. She has had a stranglehold on the program for decades and everyone is terrified to speak up. Most of the attendings are graduates of the program and know how she has ruled with an iron fist and still have traumatic experiences from their residency. Hence, they are scared to stand up for residents for fear of their jobs and being reprimanded. The attendings talk behind the back of the program director and hate when she is in the OR.

She has constantly manipulated ACGME and anyone coming to survey the program. We have a Core Clinical Competency made up of selected attendings. According to the ACGME, the program director cannot sit on these meetings or influence the decision of the CCC. However, over here, she pressures the head of the CCC directly or indirectly through the residency coordinator. Every resident has a file with positives and negatives. If you do well on the exams, the positive evaluations will be prominent. However, if you start doing poorly on the exams, the positive reviews “disappear” and the negative ones start to accrue. So when it comes time to report the resident to the ASA and ACGME for being held back, the program director has “ammunition” to justify holding back that resident. Its very shady business but it has been done successfully for years and now the residents are trying to get this nonsense out in the open for everyone to see.

Also your scores are leaked to the entire department. The program director just sent everyone an email with a list of residents who got over a 60% on the recent ITE. Now, imagine the resident who got a 50-something percentile who is now considered a “bad” resident? Do you think this is right? Is this even allowed by ACGME? Why doesn’t ACGME do something about this?

We have had 4 residency coordinators over the past 3 years. One residency coordinator even quit after 3 weeks because how malignant it was working in the anesthesia office for the program director. If the program director has an agenda against you, you better score well on those exams or you might as well get a 6-month sentence. This continues to destroy the morale of the department and new applicants can see through all of this. Many of the residents have gradually gotten proactive in telling new applicants and medical students NOT to apply here. I am sure the program director and administration will read this post and will somehow try to refute it again. They will probably send all the residents in the program a mass email and threaten us or warn us that we are being unprofessional for posting on the internet reviews of the program. In fact they will go on a witch-hunt to find out who is writing negative but true things about the program. But enough is enough and after years of being treated poorly and scorned by administration, the residents are finally standing up. Its not 1 or 2 disillusioned or angry residents, but many in every level of training. We are frustrated that no one to listen to us. We have regular meetings with the chairman but everyone is terrified to speak up because of the threat of being held back and fearing retribution from the administration.

2. The program is delusional in that they think the reason they didn’t fill their spots was because mainly of location and that they didn’t rank enough applicants. What they don’t realize is that with the internet and forums, applicants are doing their homework and programs cannot hide their deficiencies anymore. This year there were NO SUNY Downstate students who are coming to the anesthesia program here. Many saw how the residents are treated and how poor the training and education is here and many made the decision not to come here. Location does impact many applicant’s decision but if the program is considered pro-resident and strong, I am sure that place will be highly competitive. And we are talking about anesthesia, a highly competitive and sought after residency spot.

3. At Downstate hospitals, residents sleep in BUNK BEDS! The OR director knew that the attending’s call room was going to be under construction and instead of relaying this information to the attendings, residents and department, everyone found out about this after the fact. So what does the hospital and department do? They take our call room and give it to the attendings and force us to sleep in BUNK BEDS. Yes, professional, grown up adults who are physicians are forced to sleep in BUNK BEDS like we were cattle rounded up and confined into a small space. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE AT ALL. I don’t care what sort of excuses the administration is making but this is a clear example to every applicant out there that you will be treated like an animal here with no respect.

4. Our beloved clinical director at Downstate is going to Stony Brook after the department turned their backs on him. For over a decade he was the only pro-resident attending who would stand up for residents. All the residents are extremely sad and disappointed he is leaving. He pushed all the residents in learning and protected us from the wrath of other malignant attendings and surgeons.

So enough of the negative stuff. So what needs to be done? If the chairman is serious about improving the program, I hope he will take these into consideration.

1. The program director needs to step down her post. It would be best if she was let go completely because the whole program has been destroyed at the core and the morale has been completely sapped. We can make a million changes, but this is the one that needs to be done if ANY change can be expected. The light will start to shine the moment she is gone and instantly this program will become one of the most competitive places in NYC. In fact, a lot of the older administration needs to step down. They are conniving, manipulative who are only there to collect a paycheck. There is one pediatric attending who will whine and complain when she has to work with a junior resident because she doesn’t want to teach and wants a senior to run the case. We are in a TRAINING PROGRAM!

2. The residency coordinator needs to get relocated FAR away from residents and new applicants. We had applicants this year who said they got a bad vibe from the program because the residency coordinator was boorish, rude and cold. One applicant in particular commented on how she was constantly talking down to the residents. She is very difficult to work with. Oftentimes, she will yell at residents in the middle of meetings in front of colleagues and attendings. She sits on those CCC meetings and influences who moves on to the next level of training and who doesn’t! The residency coordinator is supposed to be a resident advocate and understanding to our needs but in this place its an antagonistic relationship. They are the first face a new applicant sees at a program and if you see someone who is rude and with a sour disposition, immediately someone will think “whats wrong with this place?”

3. The infrastructure is in place for this program to be remarkable and one of the best in NYC. Kings County provides us with excellent trauma, LICH gives us an insight into ASA 1 and 2 patients from an outpatient perspective, SUNY has some of the sickest patients with severe cardiac and renal issues, Lutheran provides some great regional experience, Maimonides and Beth Israel great cardiac anesthesia, and Sloan Kettering with good neuroanesthesia. All we need is a pro-resident program director who trained at another institution with new and innovative ideas who will utilize the current infrastructure and make this an amazing place to be. There are about a handful amazing attendings in this program. The clinical director at LICH, who was voted teacher of the year, is one of the best teachers in the program and a lot of residents really appreciate him and his efforts. The pediatric anesthesiologist who trained in LA is probably the most favorite attending in the entire program because he has the wildest ideas and makes anesthesia really fun to learn. The rest are just there to collect a paycheck and hope that you don’t kill anyone.

4. We need a stronger regional presence. If this means arranging away rotations, then this should be done. Right now, we are very, very weak in regional almost to the point where we are being very liberal in how we record our regional numbers to get by for ACGME.

5. SUNY Downstate anesthesia is notorious for holding back residents for poor exams however the department does not realize that some residents are poor test takers but do have the knowledge and are clinically very strong. It’s all about numbers at this place and that needs to change. The emphasis should still be on the ITE and AKT exams but if you do poorly, there should be a system to HELP those residents- some lectures, question bank sessions, review courses, etc.- rather than threatening the residents by holding them back.

I don’t think any of my recommendations are unreasonable. None of us are asking for better hours, more opportunities to make more money, etc. We are tired of this malignant environment and are concerned about our education and training. Being an anesthesiologist is not just about taking tests, but being clinical sound and competent. If the chairman of our program is reading this, the residents at SUNY Downstate anesthesia are pleading with you to make some of the proposed recommendations. No one will come forth and talk because they are terrified of the program director finding out and destroying their medical careers. There is a resistance brewing here at Downstate and human history has taught us that oppressed groups of people will eventually stand up for all the transgressions against them and finally the Downstate anesthesia residents are speaking up for years of abuse.

If anyone on this forum can comment and give us some insight, we would appreciate it. I don’t consider any of what I wrote to be false and any new applicant is always welcome to come visit us and see firsthand the trauma we are experiencing here.

Dude! Hope you make it outa that place OK, you sound like you are 'bout to go postal! :eek:

I don't think it mattered cause word apparently got out anyways w/12 open spots. I don't care what anyone says, that is pretty damning in itself and hopefully a wakeup call.

I feel bad for you dude. Sorry you have to go through all that minus the bunk beds. I'm finishing up a surgery premlim yr and we sleep in bunk beds, sometimes a couch. Not an issue here. As far as your program goes, I believe it. I interviewed at Suny downstate. Very awkard experience. The residents just seemed like they were trying their best to act happy when they weren't. We sat waiting for the program director to show up, she never showed up. That for me put you guys at the bottom of my rank list. But to be honest, I heard a ton of bad stuff about your program before applying there so I knew what I was in for. Guess it's not good to rank a program if your not willing to go there. :cool:

In reading your post, it appears that what you said is probably true, however I know NOTHING at all about your program.
From your description you are presenting a textbook case of poor leadership. The problems may be caused by a number of things (malignant surgeons, indifferent attendings, poor director, etc. HOWEVER, the real problem lies at the top of the pyramid. The Chairman is letting the inmates run the asylum.
If a majority, or even a significant minority, of the residents feel the way that you do, you should schedule a meeting with the Chairman directly. Off hours, at his home, whatever you need to do. If you lay it all out and he doesn't make significant changes to attempt to solve these issues than your situation is likely hopeless. He/She is the only one that can right the ship when it is that dysfunctional. There is no way that he is not already aware of most of the issues considering your match statistics and presumed board exam problems.
There are also too many people with titles and, likely, no power. Directors, coordinators, all titles and no power to be advocates or do their jobs. This is also a problem for the Chair to fix.
If you are serious about change and you are really manipulating data for the RRC, you all should all sign a letter explaining the real situation and send it to them directly. There is a reason that they meet with residents/fellows alone, if you are not sharing the correct info and legitimate concerns with them, that's your own fault. Their job is to monitor training and help fix problems.
The bunk bed thing is a non issue. They don't have enough call rooms, during construction!, who cares - suck it up. Your inclusion of that in your complaints weakens your argument.

The bunk bed thing is a non issue. They don't have enough call rooms, during construction!, who cares - suck it up. Your inclusion of that in your complaints weakens your argument.

Agree with IlDestriero. Best of luck. I hope your experience improves. Sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better. The hospital's GME may not force the department's hand unless they hit rock bottom or go on probation. Mandates from the RRC carry a lot of weight and can not be ignored.
On the other hand, board pass rate is a major metric on how the program is evaluated during site reviews. I fully understand the PD being very concerned about low ITE scores. Those low scores, if not corrected, lead to failure on the board certification exams. That being said, it would seem they would partner with those residents to find solutions to the problem. Ultimately, it is the resident's responsibility to read and prepare for the exam, but the program should nurture a learning environment and foster an environment that leads to the best chance for success.

Members don't see this ad :)
Downstate Slave, I hope you know that you've made the lives of a lot of future residents better... Thank you for sharing

It's sad but true that places like SDN are one of the few places where medical students have the freedom and power to voice our opinions and stand up for the abuses, manipulation and dishonesty we endure from attendings, coordinators, program directors and department chairs.

The residency coordinator called me for an interview by phone and left a message saying be there in one week for an interview. No e-mail, No eras alert. She never called back and I didn't get the message until 3 weeks later. Only place on the interview trail to not formally invite an applicant through the process. I thought it was bizarre.

I was surprised when I did not receive an interview from Downstate, when I received ones from other big name programs in NYC and had great board scores. In the end, I matched at a program in NYC that I am really happy with. I was shocked when so many spots when unmatched and initially thought it was a mistake. Some people from my school tried to scramble into them and one or two were successful, but they said the process was harrowing. I hope that they make changes because having worked at Downstate and King County in high school, I know how great a place it can be to learn. That being said, I am glad I am not going there.

Best of luck,

Kilosh

I think it takes a lot of guts to stick your neck out there like you did. Good luck.

Is bunk beds really that big of an issue? Animals? Really? Talk like this makes you sound like a whiner.

What is the percentile the prog dir wants you to score above? Its hard to fault them for this because with the way the RRC works with a pass rate of <70% the accreditation gets pulled. So basically your test score = your prog director's job. I'd do the same thing.

So let me get this straight, you can get held back if we do poorly on the ITE or AKT exams? You should get held back, hell you should be dumped from the program!!

Boo hoo, you have to sleep on bunk beds. Don't you think many others before you have had to do the same and not just at Downstate?

The beloved clinical director is leaving because of a law suit by nurses. He is running not being chased out.

The teacher of the year was a years ago. Stay in reality.

I haven't seen anything but assistance and cooperation from the Coordinator. A Director being hard is for your benefit. If you want to breeze through without learning anything then go somewhere else where they will hold your hand and wipe your butt for you.

If you can't handle the stress of residency maybe you should run back to Mommy's skirt. Grow up!!!

So let me get this straight, you can get held back if we do poorly on the ITE or AKT exams? You should get held back, hell you should be dumped from the program!!

Boo hoo, you have to sleep on bunk beds. Don't you think many others before you have had to do the same and not just at Downstate?

The beloved clinical director is leaving because of a law suit by nurses. He is running not being chased out.

The teacher of the year was a years ago. Stay in reality.

I haven't seen anything but assistance and cooperation from the Coordinator. A Director being hard is for your benefit. If you want to breeze through without learning anything then go somewhere else where they will hold your hand and wipe your butt for you.

If you can't handle the stress of residency maybe you should run back to Mommy's skirt. Grow up!!!
Not exactly debunking what he said ... so ... yeah.
P.S. Airing someones lawsuit dirty laundry is beyond poor form and speaks volumes.
Sounds like students would do well to set their sights higher.

I only know about SUNY Downstate from many years ago when I was interviewing there for residency. I did not have a good feeling about the place. Only a few residents showed up to the lunch and did not really "sell" the program.

It takes guts to post this even if with an pseudonym. The sad fact is that residents will have a difficult time bringing the issue of bad leadership to light because of the very real potential for punishment.

I would advise you not to go to the Chairman. I do not know the relationships of the Chairman and Program Director, but going to the Chairman (if he has a good relationship with the PD) may just lead to you and other disgruntled residents being identified and punished.

Perhaps an outside group like you GME office or Ethics Department (if you have one) would be a better choice to voice your opinions.

Your program is not alone in having unprofessional and unethical leadership. (Although that probably does not make you feel any better).

Good luck. You know you are speaking the truth so don't let the detractors get you down.

I'm currently a PGY-1 in the Downstate Anesthesia program, class of 2015. I know this is an old topic but I'm sure may people still manage to read this thread. As a new resident I have to say my first year has been amazing. I don't now if changes have been made in the program since this topic was originally posted but my first year has been amazing. I think the PGY-1 year is a highlight of this program. I rotate through different departments including ENT, ER, and several different ICU's. I feel I've gained a great deal of experience as compared to friends in other programs. And as far as the leadership being malignant I have yet to experience this. The coordinator and director have been nothing but accomodating. I don't if these changes were made because of the previous bad reviews but as of now, my experience has been excellent and I would definitely choose to come here again. I'm not sure how the next few years will be but my seniors all seem to be happy. I think changes have been made and I'm glad I came at the right time. Good luck to you all.

I'm currently a PGY-1 in the Downstate Anesthesia program, class of 2015. I know this is an old topic but I'm sure may people still manage to read this thread. As a new resident I have to say my first year has been amazing. I don't now if changes have been made in the program since this topic was originally posted but my first year has been amazing. I think the PGY-1 year is a highlight of this program. I rotate through different departments including ENT, ER, and several different ICU's. I feel I've gained a great deal of experience as compared to friends in other programs. And as far as the leadership being malignant I have yet to experience this. The coordinator and director have been nothing but accomodating. I don't if these changes were made because of the previous bad reviews but as of now, my experience has been excellent and I would definitely choose to come here again. I'm not sure how the next few years will be but my seniors all seem to be happy. I think changes have been made and I'm glad I came at the right time. Good luck to you all.

In all fairness there is only 1 month of anesthesiology PGY-1 year. I'm not sure how this speaks for the Ca1 - Ca-3 years. I've heard through the grapevine that the residents just aren't happy and the attendings don't really advocate for them at all. But to each their own, its perfectly possible that some of the residents are okay with the program as a whole.

Just wanted to add my 2c. I graduated SUNY Downstate in 2011. What the original poster wrote was the exact mindset for the students going into anesthesia from Downstate that year. We all went on our "home" interviews but all of us spoke about it and knew that we werent going to rank Downstate highly, if it all. As of last year, no changes had been implemented regarding the issues brought up by the original poster.
20 students matched to anesthesia from the SUNY downstate class of 2011. 18, including myself, went to places other than downstate. Of the 2 that matched to their "home" school, 1 was devastated at his misfortune while the 2nd applied to anesthesia as his backup w/ IM as his primary. That 2nd student matched to zero internal medicine programs ... but towards the bottom of his match list got into SUNY Downstate anesthesia. Let me repeat that. A person with questionable interpersonal skills and garbage board scores goes unmatched in internal medicine but matches to Downstate Anesthesia. If that doesnt tell you how far the program has fallen, I dont know what does.
Downstate was a great medical school. Great experience and great fun. Until further notice, however, there are too many red flags. I would steer clear until word trickles down that some changes have been implemented.

I graduated medical school from SUNY Downstate in early-mid 2000's, I interviewed out of courtesy, but didn't rank it. It was a great medical school experience, can't say much for the residency.

Any new thoughts? I went back for a revisit, but they did NOT allow me to see the OR after I asked. Any thoughts?