Review of manuscript for attending? CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsh1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Advice needed:

An attending I know recently asked me to review a manuscript for him for Cornea (my PhD thesis focused on similar work as in the thesis.). I wrote up my review, sent it to him, and then he submitted it to the journal with minimal changes.

Can I put this down on my CV in some way? Any suggestions for what to call this-- "ad hoc reviewer for Cornea?"

It is challenging because I was not invited to do the review, my attending was, but I would still like to put it on my CV in some way. Any advice people can share would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, peer-reviewers are always anonymous. Authors will never know who has reviewed them, so no, they are never put on a paper as an author or acknowledged.

However though, a journal will publish ~once a year a list of individuals who served as peer reviewers during that past year. But I will NOT be on that list bc I was not actually asked by the journal. Nevertheless, this sort of thing happens often, of professors asking their trainees to review manuscripts for them.

My question is whether I there is an accepted way of getting some sort of credit for it, or whether I'm working entirely for free :)

Did you get your name on the paper or an acknowledgement?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're working for free. Ask for a letter. Even better, write your own and have him review it and sign it. Then you're even, lol

I don't see any problem in mentioning it during your interview, but I wouldn't list it on my CV as research.