Review of rotation sites at TouroCOM-NY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazylilazn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've gone through the forums and the search function trying to find something up to date regarding Touro NY (Harlem)'s rotation sites, but I haven't really been successful. Since it's a newer school, and the fact that the Harlem hospital had previously been taken by the Caribb schools (but isn't anymore?), I'm not sure if what I've read from previous threads is applicable anymore.

With that said, could a current student give me a rundown on the current status of Touro NY Harlem's rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are two big choices:
1. NJRMEC
2. Staten Island University Hospital

There are other rotations with less students:
1. Orange Regional Medical Center
2. Trinitas
3. NYAC
4. Brookdale in BK
5. St. Josephs
6. St Marys
7. A couple others I can't recall

NJRMEC is a consortium of hospitals just across the river in NJ. Some of the hospitals include Holy Name, Palisades, Englewood, Bergen, etc.

Harlem Hospital is currently not an option. I would not count on this, although it is a possibility.

You rank your top choices and order of rotations. A lottery, similar to the match algorithm, tries to place as many people with their top choice in their highest order of preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are two big choices:
1. NJRMEC
2. Staten Island University Hospital

There are other rotations with less students:
1. Orange Regional Medical Center
2. Trinitas
3. NYAC
4. Brookdale in BK
5. St. Josephs
6. St Marys
7. A couple others I can't recall

NJRMEC is a consortium of hospitals just across the river in NJ. Some of the hospitals include Holy Name, Palisades, Englewood, Bergen, etc.

Harlem Hospital is currently not an option. I would not count on this, although it is a possibility.

You rank your top choices and order of rotations. A lottery, similar to the match algorithm, tries to place as many people with their top choice in their highest order of preference.
Thanks Ender. Another question if you possibly have the time, do you know which one of these are ward based vs preceptor based?

Thanks Ender. Another question if you possibly have the time, do you know which one of these are ward based vs preceptor based?

Touro rotations require ward based rotations for a minimum of 50% of the rotation aside from I think FM. That means many will be 100% and is often up to you to decide. For example if your did say internal medicine at NJRMEC you would mandatory have 1 month resident based rotation and the 2nd half could be with preceptors at the teaching hospital, preceptors in office setting (think endocrinology, etc), or potentially resident based again. There's lots of flexibility at NJRMEC (you chose) but less so at Staten or BK. Those will, I believe, never be with individual preceptors.