Review Wayne State's BMS program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genessis42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have done this program, what did you think of it in terms of it making you a better applicant? Did Wayne or other med schools look upon this program well?

Did you apply to med schools after this program or before starting it? I heard its not hard to get accepted into it, but it is intense.

Members don't see this ad.

There are 15 people I know who have done this program, and from what they've told me, it's best to finish the program and then apply. All 15 of these students got into MD schools. The Wayne program is highly respected by michigan schools, but I'm not really sure how much further its influence goes.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also applying to this program. From what I've gathered, you should apply to medical school after the program if you want it to have an impact. I know wayne and MSU value this program. After 20 credits in the program, wayne considers your BMS gpa to be science gpa while MSU looks highly upon 15 credits of upper level sciences. If you apply before the program and get accepted somewhere that cycle it will likely be on your accomplishments prior to starting the program, but it wouldn't be a bad idea if you are a borderline med school applicant

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. I think it could be a good program to have another chance at medical school

But would I benefit more from a BMS like Wayne or informal post bad classes? I feel like my sgpa will barely budge because its in the low 3s at the end of college

Yeah I'm also debating on the masters vs post bacc with a little under 3.4cgpa and 3.2x science gpa, taking the mcat late summer. If I did a year of informal post bac my stats would still be below average, maybe I could get in an expensive private do school. With the BMS, I could live at home and the program is relatively cheap. If I do good in one year of classes I have a good shot at wayne and MSU. Most students only take 8cr per semester so plenty of time for ECs.
I would say if your goal is to get into any medical school next year and you have a good mcat score, do an informal post bacc. If your goal is an in state Michigan MD program, BMS might be a better option even if it takes an extra year.

You could probably go DO with those stats, but you're also doing the mcat late summer which could hold it back.

The only problem is that an informal postbacc, would only raise the gpas by 0.1-0.2.

For BMS, can't it be seen as a way of redeeming yourself for some schools even if it doesn't count as ugpa?

I completed the BMS program this last winter, and I'll be matriculating at MSUCOM next month. I only applied DO out of personal preference. Wayne State looks upon the program very favorably, and the classes are taught by the same professors that teach the med students, often using the same syllabuses. I feel that the courses I took prepared me very well, definitely an advantage over classmates who haven't taken graduate level science courses. Interviewers and admissions directors I spoke to all agreed that it gives me a leg-up as an applicant and will serve me well as a student.

I completed the BMS program this last winter, and I'll be matriculating at MSUCOM next month. I only applied DO out of personal preference. Wayne State looks upon the program very favorably, and the classes are taught by the same professors that teach the med students, often using the same syllabuses. I feel that the courses I took prepared me very well, definitely an advantage over classmates who haven't taken graduate level science courses. Interviewers and admissions directors I spoke to all agreed that it gives me a leg-up as an applicant and will serve me well as a student.

can you explain the timeline which you started the program and when you applied to DO school?

if you finished during the winter and took 4 semesters so thats two full academic years?