reviewing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanttocut

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
1st: congrats to all that have matched
2nd: Tr-Owle, please do not respond

Any advise regarding particular review books, or the sort, that would be helpful/necessary before we start our minimum-waged training periods??

Thanks and good luck to all!

PS: thank the heavens i'm out of Newark

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
Granted, I am training at UVa (most of the Recall Series authors are from UVa) and totally biased but I went through the Advanced Surgical Recall by Blackbourne as a quick review before starting my PGY-1 year. I also kept Lawrence around too.

I set a goal to read at least 30 minutes every night. Sometimes it was difficult but I was able to catch up on weekends. UVa Department of Surgery imposed the 80-hour limit last January so I have had plenty of time to read with the new schedule. If you keep up with your reading and read about every patient that you have, you should be in good shape for ABSITE and most of the pimping that you will undergo.

Congrats on the match!

njbmd

I think those malighned "throw away" journals you get for free for being a resident (Surgical Rounds, Contemporary Surgery, General Surgery Times) frequently have excellent summaries of contemporary treatment of many surgical problems. Many residents also get a subscription to Archives of Surgery for free which has good articles frequently so make sure you get in the list for that. I would highly recommend joining the Candidate Group of the Amer. College of Surgery for $20, you get a subscription to the Journal of the American College of Surgeons which is a great clinical-slanted major periodical. I personally rarely read textbooks anymore except to look up something for a talk or presentation, when I do I would start with Cameron's "Current Surgical Therapy" which leaves out the extensive basic science filler that clogs up most of the major texts.

I agree with njbmd that the ADVANCED SURGICAL RECALL book is nice, especially for ABSITE exam minutia (focus on the endocrine, transplant immunology, nutrition, and GI physiology chapters).