Revised verbal on Gold Standard FL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arfandada

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
They say that they have revamped the verbal section to make it more like the real AAMC :eek: Does any one have any input on this? How are they vs the AAMC's... Any input would help, I am mainly concerned with the verbal section.

Members don't see this ad.

They say that they have revamped the verbal section to make it more like the real AAMC :eek: Does any one have any input on this? How are they vs the AAMC's... Any input would help, I am mainly concerned with the verbal section.

Well, I know they revamped it because it was previously way too easy, but I think they've now overshot it to the other extreme. After 7 AAMC FLs and completing their Verbal Self-Assessment, my average is a little above an 11. My average on the first 7 GS Verbal sections (I'm not doing the last 3) is less than a 9, which includes two 8s and a 7. A freaking 7.

The passages themselves have the same feel of AAMCs (though a couple are a little hate-filled), but I felt like every other question on GS was a trap not intended to test your ability to comprehend the passage, but to trick you into getting it wrong. Sure, the AAMCs lay traps at times, but I feel like GS is loaded with them, and it gets really frustrating really fast, or at least it was for me.

If you're just looking for some extra practice, they probably can't hurt. Just don't expect any real diagnostic value out of them.

Last edited:
So I have been struggling with verbal, and it is because of verbal that I am forced to retake the mcat. Getting a 11/6/11. So, I have modified the Ek method, instead of predicting the question answers, I have been trying to figure out the "types of questions" what to expect as an answer choice, what is the question really asking. And by compiling a list of question types and making a list of new definitions that I see quite often, I have been able to raise my practice score for both Ek101, GS revised verbal, and on the AAMC practice exams.
As you may all know, ek101 passages are "very un-mcat like," but the ek101 questions are fantastic because they are "mcat like, but sometimes harder." To my surprise, the new GS verbal is very similar to EK101 question types, and what is nice about them, is that you can start a discussion for each specific question.
But No doubt, GS have some difficult passages to read, but they do test your ability to understand and dissect harder passages.
For people who are wondering, I use to get around 4 to 5 on EK 101, and now I am scoring 8 to 9 (1 question away from a 10 =() and when I started with GS verbal I was getting roughly a score of 7, now I am scoring roughly 9s (no 10s yet =(, but I hope I get a 10 on the real thing XD).
I would highly recommend them. They have a ebay deal, 3 month (includes all there online material + video) for 150. I am sharing it with a few friends and what is nice is that you can all use it at once.

So I have been struggling with verbal, and it is because of verbal that I am forced to retake the mcat. Getting a 11/6/11. So, I have modified the Ek method, instead of predicting the question answers, I have been trying to figure out the "types of questions" what to expect as an answer choice, what is the question really asking. And by compiling a list of question types and making a list of new definitions that I see quite often, I have been able to raise my practice score for both Ek101, GS revised verbal, and on the AAMC practice exams.
As you may all know, ek101 passages are "very un-mcat like," but the ek101 questions are fantastic because they are "mcat like, but sometimes harder." To my surprise, the new GS verbal is very similar to EK101 question types, and what is nice about them, is that you can start a discussion for each specific question.
But No doubt, GS have some difficult passages to read, but they do test your ability to understand and dissect harder passages.
For people who are wondering, I use to get around 4 to 5 on EK 101, and now I am scoring 8 to 9 (1 question away from a 10 =() and when I started with GS verbal I was getting roughly a score of 7, now I am scoring roughly 9s (no 10s yet =(, but I hope I get a 10 on the real thing XD).
I would highly recommend them. They have a ebay deal, 3 month (includes all there online material + video) for 150. I am sharing it with a few friends and what is nice is that you can all use it at once.

Same here man...

Just took 6/20 exam...
PS/ VR/ BS
11 / 05/ 11