Revoked Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future AZ DDS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have had a recent turn of events in my life and am desperate need of any advice (I have received some from advisors). I was accepted into a dental school (I can't say where) in the spring, paid deposit, and was planning on starting this fall. I received a letter about a week ago removing me from the class due to bad last semester grades. I also might add I declined around 4 interviews in the spring. My GPA has plumented about 0.2 due to these bad grades.

I now need to either apply now or wait a year. I will be taking classes this fall at the same university the dental school I was accepted for at least one semester. I was wondering if this is the best plan or if I should enroll in a master's program in January. Any advice is much appreciated.

My stats:

B.S. Biology, Top 25 School
GPA Before Last Semester: 3.25
GPA After Last Semester: 3.04
DAT: 20/16
Great reccs and volunteer experience

Members don't see this ad.

What college in Arizona is a Top 25 school? Also, why can't you name the college you applied to?

I didn't go to school in AZ. And I would rather not say what school I applied for. I am just looking for advice as I deal with this tough situation. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Future AZ DDS:

My advice to you would be to not enrol in a masters program in January. I think the best thing to do is to wait a year and apply again. You need to show the school that you want to get into that that one semester drop does not say anything about your ability to get into dent school. Just improve your grades and you'll have a much higher chance of getting in the second time. Just don't screw it up, seeing how tough they are on a 0.2 drop. Good luck! :cool:

Thanks for your advice. So, you think taking classes for a year is the best move? And I should not look into any psot-bacc or masters programs? I am thinking about taking Medical Micro, Immunology, Cell Bio, etc. Any other suggestions? And does anyone have any ideas about how I should address yhis semester (actually, my entire senior year was pretty bad) in my apps? Thanks guys.

Thanks for your advice. So, you think taking classes for a year is the best move? And I should not look into any psot-bacc or masters programs? I am thinking about taking Medical Micro, Immunology, Cell Bio, etc. Any other suggestions? And does anyone have any ideas about how I should address yhis semester (actually, my entire senior year was pretty bad) in my apps? Thanks guys.

I assume the reason for your drop off in academic performance was simply due to the fact that you failed to stay focused. If that is the case, I think a heart to heart talk with the dean of admissions of the school that recended your acceptance would be in order. At the meeting admit your error, accept the consequences, and explore your chances for admittance next year if you are able to demonstrate superior academic achievement during an additional year of schooling.

Yeah,

I'd have to agree with Groundhog on this one. If I was accepted to dental school and they later rescinded my admission, I'd definitely make an appointment to see the dean at the very LEAST. The world is very political, and if you show up at the dean's office with a happy face and an optimistic personality, show some serious ambition and determination, who knows...maybe you might be going to dental school this fall.

Just my advice,
Racerdude

That great a drop in GPA over one semester is more than a "loss of focus" and doesn't speak well to your commitment to learning. Re-evaluate the grades you got and the courses they were for, as well as the requirements of your school for your academic success until graduation. Likely the rules were there, and you broke them. Unless you have exceptional circumstances, a heart to heart with a dean may not do anything for your current standing. It may still be worth a try, though, to help reorient you and get you back in the right direction for an admission to next year's class.

I have to admit, you're in a touchy situation. I think any dental school, would have done the same----so not telling us the name of your school is insignificant. It is imperative to a professional school to check on their future students last semester grades--- to see how they behave when the pressure is off. It's called maturity. Kinda like the old saying, "What would you do if no one was looking------that is the true judge of character."

I'm sorry you allowed yourself to throw away all that you worked for, but it could be worse. My advice is DO NOT start a Master's program unless you are figuring on completing it! I promise you they will want to see you accomplish what you've started. More importantly----they'll want to see you finish strong. SO----I would do some post-bacc. classes in science, find a professor in the dental school or your school and ask for their guidance on a research project. Investigate something relative to dentistry an produce a thesis at the end of the year. I also agree with the above post----have a one-on-one talk with the Dean. Explain your position---be honest---act mature---take responsibility for your actions----and ask THEM what you would need to do to regain their confidence. Then explain your plan, ask if it is acceptable, and do it.

Every human makes mistakes. Only idiots repeat the same one twice. Therefore you still have a chance.-------Good luck.

R.R.B

Guys, I really appreciate your advice during these tough times. I am ready to move forward. I have met with the Director of Admissions, and set up a plan. They want a successful semester of upper level and/or grad bio courses, and me to retake the DAT to improve my PAT and science scores. Hopefully things will work out, and I hope none of you take for granted an acceptance letter like I unfortunately did. I have learned from my terrible mistake. Thanks guys.

I THINK THAT EVERY ONE HAS GIVEN YOU GREAT ADVICE THE ONLY THING THAT I HAVE TO ADD IS THAT I HOPE YOU LEARNED I LESSON. AND I HOPE THAT OTHER PRE-DENTS THAT READ THIS TREAD WILL SEE THAT JUST BECAUSE YOU GET ONE ACCEPTANCE LETTER YOU SHOULD TURN DOWN INTERVIEWS. IF YOU WOULD HAVE WENT THROUGH WITH THEM YOU MIGHT PACKING FOR SCHOOL RIGHT NOW. GOOD LUCK NEXT YEAR

I don't exactly know what is listed on the acceptance letter but if that happened to me I probably will sue the damn school.
If the letter specifically said term of admission binds only if you completed the last semester with with specific gpa then they have right to terminate the contract.
However, if above term is not listed and they claim it is implied with the contract then you have right to ask for damage. You are in great situation since you paid deposite.
The contract law states that if offeror(school) made an offer and offeree(you) took the offer and gave consideration(deposite) then contract is binding as long as offeree(you) don't terminate the contract.
If they have specifically stated in the letter that certain gpa have to be maintained then that's considered conditional contract and they have right to terminate the offer since you in your part did not complete the term of the contract.
Seek more professional legal help if your case is the first situation.

Don't waste year of your life trying to earn back what you are entitled to.

Time is too valuable for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow..

i'm interested in seeing how this unfortunate situation pans out..

shoopoonk,
I bet that offer of acceptance was conditional. Universities do retain and utilize legal counsel.

shoopnook,

You have made a good point but unfortunately it is an invalid one. All professional school systems leave a clause that states, "Congratulations on your acceptance... As you know, your admission is tentative and contingent upon completion of academic requirements and MAINTENANCE of your current level of academic achievement."

Schools are too smart to fall prey to ridiculous and frivolous lawsuits.

R.R.B

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, indeed the admission was conditional. I am doing much better, have met with the admissions director and dean, and have set up some courses to take. I am applying to other schools (all new schools except the school I got accepted/revoked from), and have a couple questions.

How do you all think I should address my situation to other schools?

Should I change my personal statement or simply send an addendum to my app explaining my situation?

Any other ideas/suggestions to help improve my credentials/reputation?

Thanks!

FAZDDS

Almost 16 years later, I wonder what this guy is doing.

Reactions: 7 users