Rf delayed onset pain relief

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it can take 4-6 weeks for max benefit. How often do you see patients with minimal pain relief at 2.5-3 weeks out then go on to obtain good relief at the 4-6 week mark?

Members don't see this ad.

I've never seen this. I know Stryker says this, but it just doesn't make sense. If I ablate the nerve, the pain transmission should stop. But still, I tell patients it can take up to 4 weeks, "which is why I'll see you back in the clinic in a month."

ill see it from time to time. if you get a post-RF neuritis, patient may just say they have back pain or increased back pain. when this invariably resolves is when you see the pain relief. its rare, though

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know it can take 4-6 weeks for max benefit. How often do you see patients with minimal pain relief at 2.5-3 weeks out then go on to obtain good relief at the 4-6 week mark?
Anecdotally, I do see quite a few(15%) patients that come back and tell me, Doc after a month I didn't think this was going to work then 2 weeks later they are doing much better

Infrequent, but it does happen.

I tell patients the usual 4-6 weeks too, but on average it seems to set in around 2 weeks.

I think you probably get pain relief in the facet mbb distribution right away, but then you have the surrounding tissues that are burned which can hurt some for a couple of weeks. Then once the burn pain heals, it all comes together.

On occasion I get a few that get relief in the 4-6 election range, but it's not many.

Thanks. Got a current one with 100% relied on dual mbb, nothing from RF at 3 weeks. Not neuritis, just usual pain. I'm confident in my technique and my success rates been over 90%. Do 3 burns/nerve with 18g. I know literature says only 70-80% successful..... but very disappointing for both patient and doc when it fails....

Thanks. Got a current one with 100% relied on dual mbb, nothing from RF at 3 weeks. Not neuritis, just usual pain. I'm confident in my technique and my success rates been over 90%. Do 3 burns/nerve with 18g. I know literature says only 70-80% successful..... but very disappointing for both patient and doc when it fails....
Funny enough I just had a patient today with almost the same scenario. I am still crossing my fingers

Just got a phone call at 5.5 weeks.... pain now 90% better.... strange but ill take it.

Reactions: 1 user