Rheumatology Fellowship Application Thread: '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all. New here. It's good to see that the interviews are slowly starting to come in for everyone. I have a few so far. Has anyone heard anything from Pittsburgh or Denver? Looking forward to an active thread and an exciting interview season.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all - also new to this forum but glad to join you as future Rheumatologists. I have heard from 3 places, but in answer to your question "I heart TNF" I have note heard from denver yet. I did not apply to the other program you listed. Has anyone heard from Wash U, NW, Duke, JHU, or the boston programs yet?

Hey all. New here. It's good to see that the interviews are slowly starting to come in for everyone. I have a few so far. Has anyone heard anything from Pittsburgh or Denver? Looking forward to an active thread and an exciting interview season.

Hi there, what are the programs that you have heard from?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Rheumat. Heard from UCSD, UCSF, Univ Chicago, Miami, and BWH. Haven't heard from UPENN and many others yet. I've heard that some programs don't even send rejection letters - only silent disregard!!

that's not very nice not to send a rejection letter!
i'm interviewing cleveland and uva

Sent 50 email to the program i applied to here is what they say Rejection from UCSF, Miami, Georgetown but then interview mid feb contact via email, rejection washigton u st louis.

University of Alabama Review, UCLA review, UF review invites last week Jan 08, emory invites email next week, New England medical center invites feb 08, john hopkins review if interview email, NYU interview rolling basis, SUNY stony brock review invites feb 08, cleveland clinic review but some of you have received invites may be the first wave of invites, drexel use eras system only?, geisinger review contact if choosen, pitt review application, u tenn review application contact feb 08, u texas southwestern extended all invitesfor interview until further notice.

If not invited programs will not send email of diseregard. to the people who got invites please post some of you creds. Thank You and GL

Received and email from NY program Hospital for Special Surgery telling me my application was incomplete that I needed to send Medical School Performance Evaluation. Is that only for International Medical Graduates. Has anybody sent this document. Please post reply as soon as possible.

I didn't send one...thats weird. I hope we don't have to do this MSPE deal. What does everyone else think? Anyways, my interviews so far are at UCSF, UTSW, BWH, UAB, and U of Chicago. US grad, average step scores, have done well in residency at a strong university program. Still waiting for several.....

congrats on the ucsf invite! i haven't heard from them...i guess they are one of the places that dont send out rejection letters....that's really rude.

got cedars-sinai today.

i ended up sending the MSPE b/c some did ask for them...it's not too much of a hassle to get it b/c you can go up to the PD's office at your program and they have it on file.

GL all.

I sent out everything.... MSPE, USMLE scores, transcripts- mostly becuase I didnt want anyone to think that I had anything to hide...

So far I've heard from Rush, Einstein, U of C, Univ of Washington, NYU,, Mt Sinai... waiting for a bunch more

Thanks all! Do you think it is too late to send it in (MSPE)? Congrats to everyone on the incoming interviews! Phinicky, when did you hear from UofW? Are you from the west coast area? I don't like waiting....

sunny-
I heard from UW about 2 weeks ago... no, not from the west

Has anyone heard from Vanderbilt or MUSC? It's been so quiet this week I've been hearing crickets. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Rheumat. Heard from UCSD, UCSF, Univ Chicago, Miami, and BWH. Haven't heard from UPENN and many others yet. I've heard that some programs don't even send rejection letters - only silent disregard!!
Can you please post your credentials? I am dying to hear from Cali programs, but only rejections so far, even though I got 12 interviews in other areas. Thanks a lot and congrats.

Hi all - also new to this forum but glad to join you as future Rheumatologists. I have heard from 3 places, but in answer to your question "I heart TNF" I have note heard from denver yet. I did not apply to the other program you listed. Has anyone heard from Wash U, NW, Duke, JHU, or the boston programs yet?
Only from Boston Univ, 3 days ago.

Yes, I have heard from Vandy. also heard from MGH and UDUB since last post. Has anyone heard from Duke or Wash U? Also, how many interviews should we go on? Good luck all! :)

Hi everyone,
Has anyone heard from any of the Pennsylvania or NY programs?

It has been quiet! Heard from Emory today. Haven't heard anything from NYC or Penn. I don't know how many of these things to go on. Maybe because I'm not sure exactly what I want. It's starting to get expensive! Good to hear everyone is having a little success so far. Good luck to all.
:luck:

By the way ASA, creds = USMLE 230s, average residency, some research, no publications, CMR. And thanks! Keep your head up - no news in this is definitely better than bad news. And I've heard nothing from UCLA or Stanford.

Congrats on Emory "I heart TNF" :) I bet things pick up for everyone next week. How many peeps do you think these places interview? I am guessing maybe 30ish? 3-4 people on about 6-7 interview days for those that do group days....That may help us figure out how many interviews to go on. Expensive is right!! I am thinking 6 or 7? Do you think this is enough for the more competative programs? Hope everyone has a good weekend!

anyone heard from northwestern or hospital for special surgery?

anyone heard from northwestern or hospital for special surgery?
Not yet. NW was the last do download apps, though, so it may be a while. I'm a little confused about their program - is it 2 or 3 years? The website is a little confusing. Any has anyone else heard from NYU??

No invites yet only rejections getting worried good luck to all. Will see what happens. Keep posting

I did not apply to NY programs so not sure about NYU. Don't get too down RR, I am still waiting to hear from several. I think some programs will start sending out invites in the next couple of weeks. Good Luck :)

Not yet. NW was the last do download apps, though, so it may be a while. I'm a little confused about their program - is it 2 or 3 years? The website is a little confusing. Any has anyone else heard from NYU??

UAB interview invite today. Called a lot of places, still reviewing applications!???

Does anyone know how Chicago programs are in terms of invites...I have research mostly in nephrology mainly b/c I couldn't find any rheum research to join!

Does anyone know how Chicago programs are in terms of invites...I have research mostly in nephrology mainly b/c I couldn't find any rheum research to join!

Apparently most Chicago programs tend to invite people from the area. So if you are in the area then you may be in luck.

heard from UofW, U of Colorado, U of Chicago, UT Southwestern, UT Houston, Rush, still waiting on DC and Philadelphia programs any luck with those?

Duke and Michigan this week..

Duke, JHU, and U of Mich this week! :) Anyone with NW or Wash U?

I hear that NW is having some issues right now with their program director- that's why things are taking so long

so far I have interviews at rush, uc davis, u of mich...
haven't heard from cleveland, duke, ucsd, stanford, georgetown or GW or anything in philadelphia. rejected from ucsf.
us grad, 80s on the steps, university residency program, minimal non rheum research.
good luck to all!

rejection from my mailboxl from WU at St. Louis, wow, they actually took the time to mail, not Email...only to reject my application hehe. Im just amazed. Goodluck to all.

I hear that NW is having some issues right now with their program director- that's why things are taking so long

Cleveland and U of Michigan this week! Has anyone heard from HSS or any of the Pennsylvania Programs?

Hey all. Heard from Duke, University of Colorado, Emory, and U of Michigan since last post. Still no word from Penn or NY programs. Things are definitely picking up. Start interviews this week! Will let you know how it goes. Congrats and continued luck to everyone!!:D

have seven invites so far, no rejections applied mainly to programs in the south. any recs on how many interviews to go on...things are getting expensive! good luck everyone!

I am probably going on 6-7 total. Very expensive!! I think that 6-7 should be enough as I am interviewing at programs similar in caliber and hopefully the same people will interview among them and each program only interviews about 10-14 and takes 2-4. What do you guys think?

I am probably going on 6-7 total. Very expensive!! I think that 6-7 should be enough as I am interviewing at programs similar in caliber and hopefully the same people will interview among them and each program only interviews about 10-14 and takes 2-4. What do you guys think?

I think most programs interview upto 12 people per spot!

Have any of the other NY programs started sending out invites?

I don't think thats right rheumat...at least not for the places I am visiting...if you look on the FRIEDA website it tells you how many people each program interviewed last year. Of the programs that I am visiting, the majority interviewed 10-14 people last year. The program where I am going to interview that interviewed the most people last year was Hopkins who invited 18 people for 3 spots. I have confirmed some of these numbers with the programs so I think this is correct. Check it out on FREIDA.

Anyone heard from Wash U???

Did anyone got an invite from Jefferson Hospital, Philadelphia?. Apparently they sent out invites last week?

I've heard nothing from Philly yet. Did hear from HSS today. It does seem that places are interviewing about 14 applicants for 2-3 spots on average. There are some exceptions (Colorado), but for the most part this seems to be the case.

Rejection from U south Florida today. They said about 86 people applied for 1 spot. Hoping for better days. GL

Rejection from U south Florida today. They said about 86 people applied for 1 spot. Hoping for better days. GL

Wow! seems like rheum is getting more and more competitive - are they a lot of other resident applying for your program? or anyone else's programs?