Army Ribbons/Medals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Supposed to get a DA photo sometime soon. Is there somewhere to check what ribbons are on your official record? What should be on there in terms of the gimme awards you get just for joining?

Members don't see this ad.

Check your ORB from the HRC site. As a resident with no prior service, you should have three ribbons: GWOTS, ASR, and NDSM. You get these for breathing Army air for 90 days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to shift to the Navy but ... Is there anything I can try to pick up as a Navy reservist in a civilian residency program? Otherwise I'll be O-4 with 7 or so years in and a National Defense Service Medal/ribbon.

Nope, and no one cares. The only ribbons that matter are sea service and campaign ribbons. Everything else is meaningless (spoken as a guy with 4+ rows before departure).

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Nope, and no one cares. The only ribbons that matter are sea service and campaign ribbons. Everything else is meaningless (spoken as a guy with 4+ rows before departure).

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

That's fairly accurate in my opinion. When I was a young, newly minted Ensign I looked at the highest ribbon (s). Now unless someone is wearing a silver star, or DFC, or similar, or an award with a 'V' on it I only look at how many stars on the sea service ribbon or which campaign medals they are wearing.

Most of the other stuff, including bronze stars without V or Air Medals with strike/flight numerals, are fairly meaningless.

You don't think the tailor at a major training base would be more skilled at it than a civilian?
I've known people (including myself) who got their ASUs tailored at Fort Bliss, Fort Sam, or Fort Gordon and subsequently had to take them to civilians to get fixed. The tailor at FSH made my jacket and pants waaaaaay too tight, then responded to my protests by saying it could be my incentive to lose some weight. (At the time of said tailoring, I was borderline underweight.)

You don't think the tailor at a major training base would be more skilled at it than a civilian?

Heh remember these are government employees we're talking about.

I had my ASUs tailored at Ft. Lewis. They ended up just fine. But, as mentioned, if they screw it up on base there's no incentive to fix them. If the civilian screws it up, it's their reputation on the line.....kinda like everything else in the military......not many people care what kind of job they do.....

Most of the tailors near a base will know how to fit the ASU.