Ridiculous OMT Claims

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jared999

DO Student
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I study for my OMT final, I'm going to post some of the more ridiculous quotes, here goes nothing.

First from an ACOFP Powerpoint:

Somatizing patients who are not manifesting overt psychiatric symptoms before treatment can develop them when their somatic dysfunction is effectively resolved with OMT.

This may result because the somatic symptoms were functioning as a defense mechanism that the OMT has disabled, so that the somatization is no longer effective.

Treating somatic dysfunction may remove or significantly weakens a patient’s defensive position, impelling the patient to try to desperately maintain it.

The physician must be aware that if the patient is not provided with effective alternative methods of coping, in severe cases, they may be left with no other alternative but suicide.

OMT fixes somatic complaints so well that patients might commit suicide. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

At the Still-Hildreth Sanatorium A diagnosis was not established until the patient had been there for 6 weeks.

Is that supposed to be something to be proud of? I understand not rushing to judgement, but there is a balance (possibly involving ligaments and tension) to be had here. Let's just ignore the obvious for 6 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
OMT fixes somatic complaints so well that patients might commit suicide. :laugh:

You obviously did not quite understand the author's point. I suggest you ask an instructor to explain this to you (or your peers, if they understand it). I won't spend time trying to explain it to you here because it would be much easier in person.

Unless you have dealt with true somatizing patients, the quote you're referring to indeed sounds laughable. To me it makes perfect sense (and I've seen it, not with OMT but with other more established treatments - luckily the patient did not succeed with his suicide attempt).

As a medical student (allopathic or osteopathic), you should not completely and quickly dismiss what experienced, practicing physicians are trying to teach you.

Good luck with your OMT finals.

OMT cures the Spanish Flu epidemic.

It is literally a terribly done study and has been ripped apart by many DOs over the years. But its still the schtick every OMM professor brings out to back up their claims. There are plenty of good studies out there (there really are) why tout the terribly flawed one?

No, I completely understand it, but a regard it as ridiculous. Actually I don't dismiss what experienced practicing physicians teach me, which tends to be along the lines of "OMT has little or no place in medicine today."

You obviously did not quite understand the author's point. I suggest you ask an instructor to explain this to you (or your peers, if they understand it). I won't spend time trying to explain it to you here because it would be much easier in person.

Unless you have dealt with true somatizing patients, the quote you're referring to indeed sounds laughable. To me it makes perfect sense (and I've seen it, not with OMT but with other more established treatments - luckily the patient did not succeed with his suicide attempt).

As a medical student (allopathic or osteopathic), you should not completely and quickly dismiss what experienced, practicing physicians are trying to teach you.

Good luck with your OMT finals.

Just want to clarify something I think Shinken was alluding towards. The study involves patients with somatization disorder, which is a psychiatric illness, not a patient with somatic dysfunction.

I won't comment on the efficacy of OMT in these patients. I just wanted to make sure that Jared999 understood the difference, in case he/she didn't know.

OMT cures the Spanish Flu epidemic.

It is literally a terribly done study and has been ripped apart by many DOs over the years. But its still the schtick every OMM professor brings out to back up their claims. There are plenty of good studies out there (there really are) why tout the terribly flawed one?

I've heard the flu study brought up at least a half dozen times this year... Here is a great article debunking it: http://www.jaoa.org/content/108/9/484.full

We were told all about how MFR cures Dupuyten's contracture. The single refrence we were given as evidence turned out to be a case study of one patient who had indeed received MFR... while they were healing from a needle aponeurotomy :rolleyes:

I've heard the flu study brought up at least a half dozen times this year... Here is a great article debunking it: http://www.jaoa.org/content/108/9/484.full

We were told all about how MFR cures Dupuyten's contracture. The single refrence we were given as evidence turned out to be a case study of one patient who had indeed received MFR... while they were healing from a needle aponeurotomy :rolleyes:

The AOA needs to really step its game up. The JAOA website is so weak compared to JAMA. It's like the AOA is stuck in the late 90s

Lymphatic Ducts: Unidirectional flow is under sympathetic control.
Stress (hypersympathetic tone) may cause congestion and hinder lymph flow.

I'm not completely discounting this one, but I thought the physiologists taught us that skeletal muscle is responsible for most lymphatic flow. I would think the more sympathetics, the more "fighting and flighting" you do, the more lymph flow.

Four basic functions of lymph:

Maintains fluid balance in body
Defense
Purifies and cleanses tissues
Nutrition

First two I'm on board with, not quite sure about 3, and does it get any more vague than 4?

PHP:
Edema ... Affects bioavailability of drugs & hormones
Hampers medical management & effect of pharmacologic treatment

Congestive Heart Failure caused Edema, Congestive Heart Failure affect the bioavailability of drugs therefore Edema affect the bioavailability of drugs???

Members don't see this ad :)
Diagnostic Findings [in lymphatic dysfunction]:
Tenderness to palpation or generalized discomfort from toxic waste product accumulation

The miniature Three Mile Island inside of all of us...

5 Things Dentists Wish You Knew…

1. In trauma, don’t forget the jaw
2. A clicking joint is not normal, and warrants treatment or referral
3. In jaw opening less than 50mm, consider arthritic TMJ or chronic closed lock, even in absence of other symptoms
4. Occlusion counts – watch patients with recent acute onset symptoms following dental procedures
5. Ear symptoms – may be only sign of the jaw problem

Any dentists care to comment? dental students?

Cranial, time, everyone's favorite

4. The inherent rhythmic motion of the cranial bones.

The anatomic perspective that past a certain age all cranial sutures are “fused” has been shown incorrect.
If everything was "fused" how could a disarticulated skull be produced?

That's the same as asking, if the femur is one bone how can it be broken?

(Come over here and I'll show you...):laugh:

the thigh bone's connected to the hip bone - okay

the sacral bone's connected to the head bone(s) - umm

my last ppt said that fixing the sacral dysfunction can help fix Bell's Palsy...I laughed very hard

PHP:
Edema ... Affects bioavailability of drugs & hormones
Hampers medical management & effect of pharmacologic treatment

Congestive Heart Failure caused Edema, Congestive Heart Failure affect the bioavailability of drugs therefore Edema affect the bioavailability of drugs???

Replace bioavailability with volume of distribution and it's a fact.

lol one time we got a question on an OMM exam where the clinical scenario was a woman going into labor but her husband wasn't going to make it in time for the birth. what technique could you use to slow down the labor? ah, yes, CV4... :rolleyes:

lol one time we got a question on an OMM exam where the clinical scenario was a woman going into labor but her husband wasn't going to make it in time for the birth. what technique could you use to slow down the labor? ah, yes, CV4... :rolleyes:

couldnt find CV4 on google (which means it probably isnt a real thing :smuggrin:) what is the proposed mechanism?

Cranial, time, everyone's favorite

That's the same as asking, if the femur is one bone how can it be broken?

(Come over here and I'll show you...):laugh:

We used to believe the land masses were static as well. Your quote has convinced me that migraines are actually small seismic events in our skulls as our cranial "tectonic plates" slide past each other

according to our school notes, CV4 decreases sleep latency:sleep:

We had some speakers come by when we were doing cranial. Initially they were not so bad, & we basically humoured them as they told us this great thing but when one of them claimed to be able to feel a string through a PHONE BOOK, I kind of lost it & started playing games on my phone. Should have called her out on it but didn't want to be too rude :)

We had some speakers come by when we were doing cranial. Initially they were not so bad, & we basically humoured them as they told us this great thing but when one of them claimed to be able to feel a string through a PHONE BOOK, I kind of lost it & started playing games on my phone. Should have called her out on it but didn't want to be too rude :)

I lol'd.