Rigidity: Different Effects for Alkenes vs. Cell Membranes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justadream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I understand it:
Saturation leads to LESS rigidity for alkenes but MORE rigidity for cell membranes.

However, for both alkenes and cell membranes, saturation leads to HIGHER Melting Points and Boiling Points.

Thus, it would appear that rigidity has opposite effects on MP/BP when comparing alkenes v. Cell Membranes.

Can someone confirm/deny whether my thinking is correct?

Members don't see this ad.

As I understand it:
Saturation leads to LESS rigidity for alkenes but MORE rigidity for cell membranes.

However, for both alkenes and cell membranes, saturation leads to HIGHER Melting Points and Boiling Points.

Thus, it would appear that rigidity has opposite effects on MP/BP when comparing alkenes v. Cell Membranes.

Can someone confirm/deny whether my thinking is correct?
It's sort of confusing the comparison you're making, because at first you mention saturation, then you go on to compare alkenes (an unsaturated hydrocarbon). For membranes though, saturation results in membrane rigidity whereas unsaturation (ie. a kink in the fatty acid tail) allows the membrane to be more fluid (less rigid) at a given temperature. For alkenes, it's a difficult comparison to make, especially when you're considering two different/separate solutions of pure alkenes because in that instance, it depends on a variety of things, namely the branching of the structure, the molecular weight, and the polarity. I'm not entirely sure if it would be reasonable or fair to compare a saturated hydrocarbon and an alkene of similar molecular weights, since the intermolecular interactions would be very similar. A more reasonable comparison I think is the effect of branching on similar compounds. Branching "sandwiches" boiling point and melting point: boiling point decreases and melting point increases; melting point increases because the branching allows for more tight packing, and I believe boiling point decreases because of the reduced intermolecular interactions in the liquid state.

@Czarcasm

Okay so I can think of "branching" similar to how I think of cholesterol (in that it prevents the "extremes")

"I'm not entirely sure if it would be reasonable or fair to compare a saturated hydrocarbon and an alkene of similar molecular weights, since the intermolecular interactions would be very similar."

I thought the only "fair" comparisons in organic chemistry were between compounds of roughly the same molecular weight. Otherwise, you'd have to consider molecular weight (which I believe increases both MP and BP)

@Czarcasm

Okay so I can think of "branching" similar to how I think of cholesterol (in that it prevents the "extremes")

"I'm not entirely sure if it would be reasonable or fair to compare a saturated hydrocarbon and an alkene of similar molecular weights, since the intermolecular interactions would be very similar."

I thought the only "fair" comparisons in organic chemistry were between compounds of roughly the same molecular weight. Otherwise, you'd have to consider molecular weight (which I believe increases both MP and BP)
I'm glad you brought up that distinction. That's only true, particularly when the focus is exclusively on the polarity of molecules/compounds (and their associated intermolecular interactions). For instance, it's only fair to compare a water molecule to an alkane, or any other molecule of similar weight. The testing point here is the strength of intermolecular interactions, given all things equal (in this case, molecular weight). A much larger alkane would have a larger degree of weaker intermolecular interactions that can trump the smaller amount of stronger intermolecular interactions of H2O). This can make the comparison more difficult.

In the scenario you described above, you're comparing molecules with very similar intermolculer interactions - namely, london dispersion forces. In this case, only two things will largely effect the melting and boiling point of the substance: the molecular weight and branching.

It's good that you're trying to relate the concepts together, but I prefer to think of membrane fluidity as mutually exclusive to the independent boiling/melting points of the modulators themselves (ie. cholesterol). Membrane fluidity is largely effected due to temperature. You know from experience, leaving butter on the table will cause it to melt. In the plasma membrane of living organisms, the fatty acids of phospholipids play a role in membrane fluidity (but the fluidity itself is regulated by cholesterol). Unsaturated fatty acids have a kink and promote a more fluid structure, whereas Saturated fatty acids pack more tightly (a more rigid structure). For eukaryotic organisms, changing individual phospholipids to alter fluidity is cumbersome because eukaryotic cells are so large. However, for smaller organisms like bacteria, they can alter these fatty acids to change (ie. from saturated to unsaturated) in a time-appropriate manner due to their smaller size; in addition, they lack the cholesterol .

In some eukaryotic organisms, like humans, cholesterol is the major regulator of membrane fluidity, since this steroid is easily produced by living cells and added to membranes to alter fluidity as needed (in a relatively time-efficient manner). It essentially broadens the spectrum of membrane fluidity: in more hot environments (where membranes become more fluid), it helps phopholipids pack more tightly (less fluid), but in cooler environments (where membrane becomes more rigid), it helps promote fluidity (looser packing). This is why cholesterol is so important for living organisms and their individual cells. When cells become too rigid, they are more prone to mechanical disruption such as lysis, and obtaining essential nutrients become more difficult, if not impossible. Hope this helps.

edit: gosh by typos are horrible

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@Czarcasm

Thanks for that well-written post.

Going back to:

"Branching "sandwiches" boiling point and melting point: boiling point decreases and melting point increases; melting point increases because the branching allows for more tight packing, and I believe boiling point decreases because of the reduced intermolecular interactions in the liquid state."

I just read another thread and got this from post #17:

"This trend (speaking of increased branching = increased melting point) works within branched alkanes, but not if you include the straight chain (or normal) alkane..

i.e.: MP C BP C
hexane -95 69
2-methylpentane -154 60
2,4-dimethylbutane -135 58
2,2-dimethylbutane -98 50

So the trend seems to only work when you compare branched with other branched. The more compact the structure, the higher the mp, and the lower the BP reflecting packing/intermolecular forces. The mp difference fails when you include hexane in the mix."

So it seems the trend for MP holds true except for the straight-chain?

As you can see from that thread (and from my TPR content book - see below), this topic seems to be pretty ambiguous.

tpr1kxk.jpg