RISE score cutoff for boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

santender1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know the supposed RISE cutoff score which correlates with a pass on the boards? Is it 500?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is a 500. But... not cummulative 500. You need to score 500 on each individual section of the RISE in order to make the correlation with passing.

Yes, it is a 500. But... not cummulative 500. You need to score 500 on each individual section of the RISE in order to make the correlation with passing.
Is there actual data on 500 being a significant cutoff? Or is it more a long the lines of "I know a couple of people who have failed boards and they didn't have at least a 500 on each section of the RISE?"

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not entirely anecdotal. Betsy Bennett confirmed it at a CAP meeting one time.

I am familiar with this publication. It would be interesting to be able to look at the raw data and calculate a positive and negative predictive value for participants who either had at least 500 on each section or did not.

What a worthless "study". The correlation was extremely weak, only existed for a subgroup of cherry-picked size, and the majority of people in that group still passed the boards.

The fact that people attribute worth to a report put out by the very group that makes money off of the exam bewilders me.

Reactions: 1 user
a

Last edited:
What a worthless "study". The correlation was extremely weak, only existed for a subgroup of cherry-picked size, and the majority of people in that group still passed the boards.

The fact that people attribute worth to a report put out by the very group that makes money off of the exam bewilders me.

I've been saying this for years. The study's conclusions are very suspect.

I do believe that almost everyone who scores a 500 or better on every section of the test WILL pass the boards. But what does it prove, beyond that good test takers do well on tests? Most people who DO NOT score a 500 or better on all sections ALSO pass the boards. Great. What a waste of time.

Use the RISE as a personal test to find your areas of strength and weakness. It's what its really good for. I feel bad for anyone who is disciplined for not performing well on this test.