Rising Junior: What should I do next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muohio14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a few specific questions regarding what I should do before applying to dental schools next summer. I am a rising junior at Miami University double majoring in Chemistry and Mathematics. I have a 3.94 GPA and a 4.0 in my science and mathematics classes. The only blemishes on my transcript are the two piano classes that I took this year (currently a piano performance minor but now reconsidering) where I received an A- the past fall and a B- the past spring. The more noteworthy courses that I have taken include o chem (as a freshman), calc-based physics, diff eq, and mathematical optimization. I plan to take biochem, p chem, intro to complex variables, and cell bio this fall. I am also considering adding a course covering probability or a philosophy class (my non-science classes are lacking a bit because I came in with a lot of high school credits). I plan to take the DAT this coming spring.

As far as things outside the classroom, I began working in a biochem lab this past year, and I am being paid to continue my research this summer. Both of my parents are dentists, but I plan on doing formal shadowing this summer after finishing up with my research work. I am also part of a social fraternity. I plan to become involved in the pre-dental club on campus this coming year as it is geared more towards juniors and seniors preparing for the DAT and the application process. However, I feel that I am lacking a bit in this area and don't really know what I should look into to improve this part of my application. And as far as my one glaring weakness, I was arrested in the fall for underage drinking, public intoxication, and possession of a fake ID. This blemish on my record will be sealed this coming September. Definitely a negative event in my life, but also extremely helpful to changing many aspects of my life, most obviously reducing my need to socialize with alcohol.

So now to the questions. Do I need to do anything else differently when it comes to my academic courses? How negatively would the piano grades be viewed by admission committees? What other extracurriculars should I consider being involved in? And finally, with my legal record, can and/or should I deny being convicted for a misdemeanor when asked on applications? Thanks for any opinions and any advice.

Members don't see this ad.