Rising M2, No Research At All Due To Medical Problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbeus

mbeus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a rising M2 at a US MD school. I was a non-traditional student, and was accepted into medical schools without any research experience (except a semester of organic chemistry research). To be honest, I have little interest in research, but I know it is an important part of many residency applications.
I have a lot of health problems, and M1 has been the worst year for me by far. I missed 7 weeks of class total for various hospitalizations. However, I still did very well in school - honored/high passed everything. I was planning on doing research this summer, but decided to take the summer off and try and get myself together physically. I am having major surgery at the end of June, which will hopefully correct one of my issues.

SO, my question is: will this lack of research be viewed very unfavorably on my future residency applications? I have heard of some people being able to do research during 3rd/4th year but, given my health issues, I am not sure if this will be possible. My goal is to match at the Cleveland Clinic, where I am from, but I know that is a ways off.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you made a wise decision to take the summer off to improve your health. Depending on the specialty you have in mind, the lack of research may or may not not be a problem. There is always the option of taking a year off between MS3 and MS4 to do research which might help a lot if you're dead set on a certain location for residency.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
What specialty do you have in mind? The importance of research varies depending on the desired specialty.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What specialty do you have in mind? The importance of research varies depending on the desired specialty.
I'm pretty open to many specialties. But right now I'm really interested in pulmonary and critical care, which would mean matching into internal med.

This is also a trivial worry, but I am afraid that if I ever *do* do research, I'll be so far behind because I won't know what I'm doing. I have no idea what research actually entails.

Sent from my SM-G920P using SDN mobile

Matching into a top internal medicine program certainly requires research. However, many students who successfully match into competitive residencies don't do research between first and second year and end up doing fine. Start by finding a project that you enjoy and that you can publish within a reasonable timeframe. If publishing is the goal, I recommend clinical research vs. bench work. Start by emailing a faculty member in internal medicine who is known to take students on and has a solid publishing record. You still have plenty of time before you submit your residency applications.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm pretty open to many specialties. But right now I'm really interested in pulmonary and critical care, which would mean matching into internal med.

This is also a trivial worry, but I am afraid that if I ever *do* do research, I'll be so far behind because I won't know what I'm doing. I have no idea what research actually entails.

If you take a year off to do research you would be fine. Most places I've done research at you can figure out what you're doing pretty well in a week or two, and your PI should be able to help you out along the way when it comes time to compile data and such. I agree with Findme though, there's no point in trying to start research if your health prevents you from doing it right/effectively. If you're just finishing M1, you've got plenty of time to get some solid research in, so keep your priorities straight. Get yourself healthy, then go for research.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone,

I am a rising M2 at a US MD school. I ... was accepted into medical schools without any research experience (except a semester of organic chemistry research). To be honest, I have little interest in research, but I know it is an important part of many residency applications.

I have always been told by my attendings that research can never hurt you, meaning lack of it will not hurt you, and having it is always a good thing.

You also have had a lot going on with your health. If I were you and research came up as a topic during an interview, I would say that research was not a possibility at the time due to health concerns. I would not mention that you are not interested in research, because most residencies I know of have research components.

Lastly, your preferred location for residency should reflect your interests. If you are not as interested in research, then it may not be in your best interest to attend a residency that is research heavy. I imagine Cleveland Clinic is one of those residencies that highly emphasizes research.

If you are hell-bent on matching integrated plastics or a surgical subspecialty, you can worry about this. IM? Don't stress. Get in on a case report or two during your 3rd year, and focus on killing Step I.

Cleveland clinic is not a top im program and you don't need research to match there. Definitely don't take a year off.

Reactions: 5 users
Is research required to match into a decent radiology residency?

CCF IM is pretty mediocre. It'll be okay.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm shooting for Pulm/CCM or gas --> CC and have looked into this extensively. Unless you're aiming for the absolute top programs, solid step scores, clinical grades, LORs, and having a decent personality should be more than enough to get you where you want. Pulm/CCM has grown slightly in competitiveness, but it's still out-shadowed by Cards, GI, and Heme/Onc.

Last edited:
Can anyone provide insight into the need to do research to match OB/GYN? I am a male, I've been told that will be an advantage. However I'll be coming from a DO school, which I've been told is a disadvantage, lol.

First off the bat,
Regarding residency selection, at your level you "think" you know you what you want BUT you Don't.
what i wanted to be when i was a pre-med changed to when i was an MS1 then changed again at MS2.
it was after finishing MS3 that i have a little certainty of what kind of doctor i want to be.
You really need the clinicals/ clerkship to point you in the right direction.

Second, Internal Medicine residency requires a lot from you... physically.
they have at least 9 blocks of floors (ward, ICU,CCU etc) vs the other specialties, and that's just on the PGy-1 level.

as others have pointed out, research is not that important as most students think they are.
Your USMLE scores and your grades ARE better predictors.

So, just concentrate on being healthy and pick a specialty that is not as demanding to your body as internal medicine or surgery.
may i suggest Dermatology, Physical Rehabilitation or even Radiology.

Can anyone provide insight into the need to do research to match OB/GYN? I am a male, I've been told that will be an advantage. However I'll be coming from a DO school, which I've been told is a disadvantage, lol.

Don't need research
Rules for research are 1) ridiculously competitive field (like ent, derm, rad onc) 2) ridiculously competitive center (like mgh, brigham, ucsf)

First off the bat,
Regarding residency selection, at your level you "think" you know you what you want BUT you Don't.
what i wanted to be when i was a pre-med changed to when i was an MS1 then changed again at MS2.
it was after finishing MS3 that i have a little certainty of what kind of doctor i want to be.

they have at least 9 blocks of floors (ward, ICU,CCU etc) vs the other specialties, and that's just on the PGy-1 level.

as others have pointed out, research is not that important as most students think they are.

So, just concentrate on being healthy and pick a specialty that is not as demanding to your body as internal medicine or surgery.

PMR is much more physically challenging than people seem to think, not sure why they don't get that

all the physiatrists I've known were stacked

the patient demographic they see need plenty of assists and you have to manipulate people quite a bit in your exam and treatment

PMR is much more physically challenging than people seem to think, not sure why they don't get that

the patient demographic they see need plenty of assists and you have to manipulate people quite a bit in your exam and treatment

How stacked were these physiatrists

Stacked = big breasts.

Jacked = big muscles.

Reactions: 3 users
First off the bat,

Wait, why is IM so physically demanding? Because you have to walk a lot on rounds? I think a specialty that requires walking and standing is more favorable for your body and physical health than one where you sit all day.

Wait, why is IM so physically demanding? Because you have to walk a lot on rounds? I think a specialty that requires walking and standing is more favorable for your body and physical health than one where you sit all day.

For most of us, you are right.
but for the OP who missed 7 weeks for being hospitalized, i don't think so.
he/she didn't reveal her diagnosis, which is fine.
for the sake of discussion, if he/she has something autoimmune or is wheelchair borne
THEN all the floors/ward work from internal medicine won't help at all.
i wouldn't cuunt on any surgical specialty too