Rising Sophomore, What I need to work on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedChillz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All! I'm from Florida
Okay so I came in freshman year not doing much but working on my GPA and it started kinda mediocre. So far my science GPA is 3.0 with only Bio1 & 2 so I haven't done any of the other courses yet and I will aim to get higher and raise my GPA. As for E.C. I've started doing a lot:
-Intern American Red Cross, Will move to medical part when I get my EMR
-EMR Course this summer
-Possibly Interning at a Department of Epidemiology
-Volunteering for and attend workshops for AMSA, thinking about joining and pledging Alpha Epsilon Delta
-Aiming for Phi Kappa Phi, and Phi Beta Kappa.
-Member of HEAL(Health Educated Asian Leaders) and planning to aim for officer role, should I focus more on AMSA and AED?
-Will volunteer and attempt internships at my two local Hospital
-Thinking about participating and getting more heavily involved with APIA Affairs to show leadership and work ethnic
With all that said, I can balance my grades with the work. The only reason my GPA slacked was because I didn't study enough, I know better now and have shaped up and study gradually and practically everyday. Many of my professors have agreed to write me letters of recommendations into honors. Should I ask these same professors later on when I apply to med school about another LOR?
The MCAT change in 2015 is a little frightening but I think I can score decent as long as I prepare and study hard. I'm thinking about entering a Kaplan or some other prep course during my Junior year before taking the MCAT.
Any and all knowledge is MUCH APPRECIATED!!!
My brother is a pharmacist so he tells me etc. etc. info but I would like feedback from other Pre-Med Students or already established professionals!
Thank you everyone for your time and consideration!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would focus on raising that gpa before diving into so many ECs

Reactions: 1 users
In order of importance in the application:

1. GPA = MCAT (tie for 1st)
2.Depth of clinical experience
3. Other ECs, clubs, sports, research etc.......

This is a loosely defined list, but seriously get your GPA in order right now (i.e. 3.4-3.5 minimum). Focus on clinical/ECs after that, then junior year focus on MCAT and ECs while maintaining GPA. Low GPA could net you auto-rejects from a lot of medical schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I retake Bio 1 & Bio 2? I mean I still have Chem1-2, Orgo1-2, Biochem, Physics1&2, Calc1&Stat, and other classes I'm not immediately aware of.
Most of those classes I know I can get an A if I put in diligent and hard work which puts my GPA around a 3.4-3.6 with potential mishaps.
BTW Does DO school accept lower MCAT/GPA scores?

Should I retake Bio 1 & Bio 2? I mean I still have Chem1-2, Orgo1-2, Biochem, Physics1&2, Calc1&Stat, and other classes I'm not immediately aware of.
Most of those classes I know I can get an A if I put in diligent and hard work which puts my GPA around a 3.4-3.6 with potential mishaps.
BTW Does DO school accept lower MCAT/GPA scores?

I don't know what you got in bio1/bio2 so I can't say if you should retake them. Generally speaking, because you are closer to the beginning of your undergrad career than the end, I'd say forget about retaking bio1 and bio2, but rather grind out over the next 3 years and get A-/A in all science classes.

DO school averages I'd say ~3.45 GPA, ~26MCAT

I got a B in both that's why my science GPA as of right now is 3.0
Okay thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated!

AMSA, Phi Delta Epsilon, and AED as well as your other run of the mill premed clubs are so useless, in my opinion. Join meaningful clubs that focus on a particular mission or goal that you are invested in rather than looking for leadership roles in clubs that only seek to entertain the premed population.

Hi All! I'm from Florida
Okay so I came in freshman year not doing much but working on my GPA and it started kinda mediocre. So far my science GPA is 3.0 with only Bio1 & 2 so I haven't done any of the other courses yet and I will aim to get higher and raise my GPA. As for E.C. I've started doing a lot:
-Intern American Red Cross, Will move to medical part when I get my EMR
-EMR Course this summer
-Possibly Interning at a Department of Epidemiology
-Volunteering for and attend workshops for AMSA, thinking about joining and pledging Alpha Epsilon Delta
-Aiming for Phi Kappa Phi, and Phi Beta Kappa.
-Member of HEAL(Health Educated Asian Leaders) and planning to aim for officer role, should I focus more on AMSA and AED?
-Will volunteer and attempt internships at my two local Hospital
-Thinking about participating and getting more heavily involved with APIA Affairs to show leadership and work ethnic
With all that said, I can balance my grades with the work. The only reason my GPA slacked was because I didn't study enough, I know better now and have shaped up and study gradually and practically everyday. Many of my professors have agreed to write me letters of recommendations into honors. Should I ask these same professors later on when I apply to med school about another LOR?
The MCAT change in 2015 is a little frightening but I think I can score decent as long as I prepare and study hard. I'm thinking about entering a Kaplan or some other prep course during my Junior year before taking the MCAT.
Any and all knowledge is MUCH APPRECIATED!!!
My brother is a pharmacist so he tells me etc. etc. info but I would like feedback from other Pre-Med Students or already established professionals!
Thank you everyone for your time and consideration!!!

LOLOLOL "pledging" Alpha Epsilon Delta; how about you focus on improving GPA above all else.

Well I can't even start rushing AED if my GPA isn't 3.5
But yeah I got the idea, focus on GPA.
BTW I'm thinking of doing EMR/EMT on top of clinical experience. I heard it is kinda useless but it will help me get an idea of where I want to go with medical in terms of the field.

At my UG, you didn't "rush" AED. I'm a member but it's not treated like a frat...none of that stupid initiation crap