Rising up to the challenge of our rivals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qtpai

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrOawFUdFfU

It's finals time.

This video is getting me all pumped up to rock my developmental neurobiology exam. I have no choice but to defeat the metaphorical Mr. T through my flawless knowledge of the experiments that to date have established our understanding of synaptogenesis.

I will share the inspiration with my fellow premeds. Do you have the guts, got the glory?

"YOU TELL HIM. NOBODY GONNA STOP ME. I'M GOIN' AFTER BALBOA. YOU TELL HIM."

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrOawFUdFfU

It's finals time.

This video is getting me all pumped up to rock my developmental neurobiology exam. I have no choice but to defeat the metaphorical Mr. T through my flawless knowledge of the experiments that to date have established our understanding of synaptogenesis.

I will share the inspiration with my fellow premeds. Do you have the guts, got the glory?

"YOU TELL HIM. NOBODY GONNA STOP ME. I'M GOIN' AFTER BALBOA. YOU TELL HIM."
Man that song is so inspirational. ::teardrop::

GL!

I wish I had an old crinkly white dude in my corner pushing me to fulfill my potential.

Ehhhh you're nothing but a bum, Drogba, a bum. Geet outta my library. You got so much talent, it ain' nothin cuz you're wasting it Drogba, WASTIN it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ehhhh you're nothing but a bum, Drogba, a bum. Geet outta my library. You got so much talent, it ain' nothin cuz you're wasting it Drogba, WASTIN it.

You are my crinkley old white dude. Can I call you mickey from now on?

bwahahaha...

sorry its danish. it's stuck in my head i figure SDN needs it as well.

Plus it actually puts me in a better mood after getting a rejection letter... :rolleyes:

bwahahaha...

sorry its danish. it's stuck in my head i figure SDN needs it as well.

Plus it actually puts me in a better mood after getting a rejection letter... :rolleyes:

Its danish?! How can you tell. Looks like j-pop to me. Only thing worse than j-pop is k-pop. Actually k-rap is worse.

Don't get me wrong there is a lot of good music in anime. I think Yoko Kanno is a genius.

Well people say its danish in the comments...plus the the name is hardly Japanese at all...there are no L's in Japanese or something

im no linguist though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh oh. I hope its not a caffeine related heart attack that got you.

It was related to my frustration of you being a bum. :mad:

I'm gulping down a venti right now. It's splendid.

Random fact: caffeine consumption transiently increases dendrite arborization. Though I'm not sure what this really means in terms of cognition.

Random fact: caffeine consumption transiently increases dendrite arborization. Though I'm not sure what this really means in terms of cognition.

wouldn't it mean that it facilitates the outgrow of dendritic processes thereby increasing the number of function synapses?

basically it helps you think good :p

I have no idea but thats an awesome phrase "dendrite arborization." YAY greek and latin etymologies.

I killed you with my bumness? Man I better turn things around before anyone else gets hurt. What a wake up call. Thanks Mickey.

wouldn't it mean that it facilitates the outgrow of dendritic processes thereby increasing the number of function synapses?

basically it helps you think good :p

I think increased dendrite arborization wouldn't actually increase the number of axons innervating the neuron (e.g. increase the number of synapses)...unless there are non-functional synapses, somehow, whereby the axons have no corresponding dendrites that they innervate, but I am wondering how these synapses might be maintained. If an axon doesn't have a corresponding synapse, the axon will be pruned since there is no activity, right?

Anyway, I think increased dendrite arborization might increase the surface area of the innervated fraction of the postsynaptic cell, thereby facilitating neurotransmitter reception, and therefore sensitivity to neurotransmitter? So maybe it makes synapses with marginal or moderate functionality (enough to be maintained) more functional.

This still cannot necessarily be translated to discussions about cognition. Just because you have higher transmitter sensitivity doesn't mean your cognition is improved; the sensitivity has to be increased in a way that is functionally meaningful in terms of cognition.

It does seem though that caffeine does enhance cognition, though it couldn't be said that it does so through increased dendrite arborization; there are a wide range of neurobiological effects of caffeine, which I am not really familiar with.

I know very little about this and wish I knew more.

I think increased dendrite arborization wouldn't actually increase the number of axons innervating the neuron (e.g. increase the number of synapses). Unless there are non-functional synapses, somehow, whereby the axons have no corresponding dendrites that they innervate, but I am wondering how these synapses might be maintained. I actually don't know enough about all this to say, but it doesn't seem that you could increase the number of functional synapses. Either you have a synapse or you don't, and if you don't, I don't think the axon will be pruned since it isn't maintained, right?

Anyway, I think increased dendrite arborization might increase the surface area of the innervated fraction of the postsynaptic cell, thereby facilitating neurotransmitter reception, and therefore sensitivity to neurotransmitter? This still cannot necessarily be translated to discussions about cognition. Just because you have higher transmitter sensitivity doesn't mean your cognition is improved; the sensitivity has to be increased in a way that is functionally meaningful in terms of cognition.

It does seem though that caffeine does enhance cognition, though it couldn't be said that it does so through increased dendrite arborization; there are a wide range of neurobiological effects of caffeine, which I am not really familiar with.

I know very little about this and wish I knew more.

Hm...arborization would be a long term consequence not a short one. I believe that what i was trying to get at was that with each affected neuron it is more likely to sprout dendritic spines which can increase the number of synapses. However, without pulling my primer of drug action off the shelf i can tell you that caff. facilitates dopamine release which allows for increased attention span.

Well, I did say "transient" arborization, though I didn't say what I meant by this, so that may be the cause of confusion. The arborization happens after one consumes caffeine, but the dendrites de-arborize to their previous state when the cell is not exposed to caffeine anymore. I thought that was a really interesting finding, that arborization can be so rapid and also transient. It is certainly new to me, but don't take my word for it; I learned this from a psychology major I dated, rather than first-hand.

Well, I did say "transient" arborization, though I didn't say what I meant by this, so that may be the cause of confusion. The arborization happens after one consumes caffeine, but the dendrites de-arborize to their previous state when the cell is not exposed to caffeine anymore. I thought that was a really interesting finding, that arborization can be so rapid and also transient. It is certainly new to me, but don't take my word for it; I learned this from a psychology major I dated, rather than first-hand.

wow that is an interesting finding...it would certainly explain quite a bit if true.

Risin' up, back on the street
Did my time, took my chances
Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet
Just a man and his will to survive

So many times, it happens too fast
You change your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

Chorus:
It's the eye of the tiger, it's the cream of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge of our rival
And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night
And he's watchin' us all in the eye of the tiger

Face to face, out in the heat
Hangin' tough, stayin' hungry
They stack the odds 'til we take to the street
For we kill with the skill to survive

chorus

Risin' up, straight to the top
Have the guts, got the glory
Went the distance, now I'm not gonna stop
Just a man and his will to survive

chorus

The eye of the tiger (repeats out)...

Hopefully, med school acceptance isn't as rigged as professional boxing! ;)

[YOUTUBE]-m7hxzwW0qw[/YOUTUBE]

No way. You are a manu chao fan? I don't believe it.

Oh wow:laugh: I just brought the whole Rocky collection minus 5 back to school to keep me going.
That song really does help through the tough times

Mr. T was a trip

Me gustas tu.

I saw him in concert over the summer. It was amazing. He is a huge leftist, I'm surprised you listen to him. His original band Mano Negra was insanely political.

I saw him in concert over the summer. It was amazing. He is a huge leftist, I'm surprised you listen to him. His original band Mano Negra was insanely political.

Yeh, I generally dislike it when musician get political. It's usually pretty stupid. But the other stuff is ok.

Yeh, I generally dislike it when musician get political. It's usually pretty stupid. But the other stuff is ok.

Music and the rest of the arts have gone hand in hand with politics since the beginning of time. I'm glad we have social commentators that represent different communities in a form thats accessible.

Music and the rest of the arts have gone hand in hand with politics since the beginning of time. I'm glad we have social commentators that represent different communities in a form thats accessible.

That all well and good, but they usually just repeat whatever same silly tripe is currently popular without adding much to the discussion. I prefer my music without the politics. I've seen it destroy too many good artists.

And when you say he's a huge lefty, what does that mean? Is he your typical celebrity liberal, or is he a Hugo Chavez supporter? Very different.

That all well and good, but they usually just repeat whatever same silly tripe is currently popular without adding much to the discussion. I prefer my music without the politics. I've seen it destroy too many good artists.

I disagree, maybe some artists but not most serious ones. If you are talking about mainstream artists doing so its no surprised. Whether they are talking about politics or not they are more often than not repeating silly conventions without adding much to the artform, especially from a lyrical point of view.

I disagree, maybe some artists but not most serious ones. If you are talking about mainstream artists doing so its no surprised. Whether they are talking about politics or not they are more often than not repeating silly conventions without adding much to the artform, especially from a lyrical point of view.

Take Bono as an example, here is a musician who has made Africa his new personal crusade, but he understands little of politics and less of economics. James Shikwati, a Kenyan economist and my new hero, has pleaded with all wealthy countries to please stop giving aid to Africa. It destroys local markets while benefiting the ruling despots, and then the aid leaves as a new cause celebre become the new vogue, and the region is worse off than before. Did it ever occur to Bono that he is doing more harm than good? Unfortunately, this idea never crosses the minds of the dogooders.

Or, take Neil Young, who, after proclaiming the eternal nature of rock, proved that it does indeed die for old rockers who become mere political pawns. I thought it was a bad career move to team up with Machael Moore, who directed his music video to "rockin in the free world", and included it in his propaganda film Fahrenheit 9/11. But I guess it makes sense for the ex-rocker turned politico, since his last album (which flopped, and deservedly so) was just a bitch session against Bush (again, just repeating the popular tripe without adding to the discussion, as usual).

Perhaps it really is better to burn out than to fade away...

Take Bono as an example, here is a musician who has made Africa his new personal crusade, but he understands little of politics and less of economics. James Shikwati, a Kenyan economist and my new hero, has pleaded with all wealthy countries to please stop giving aid to Africa. It destroys local markets while benefiting the ruling despots, and then the aid leaves as a new cause celebre become the new vogue, and the region is worse off than before. Did it ever occur to Bono that he is doing more harm than good? Unfortunately, this idea never crosses the minds of the dogooders.

There are obviously many concerns with how aid is delivered to Africa, the least of which is not corruption. That doesn't mean significant investment isn't helpful, or even necessary, to spur economic development in the 3rd world. It just means the prevalent model for aid delivery is significantly flawed. Did it ever occur to you that you might be wrong about whether Bono is doing more harm than good? Just because one economist provides a narrative that appeals to your political sensibility does not mean alternative interpretations aren't necessary or valid. Like I said I don't think the problem is aid but how that aid is delivered. It is obviously not a desirable situation for the income of any country to be predominantly aid driven but you can't just stop aid as it is today without providing another form of support or investment.

There are obviously many concerns with how aid is delivered to Africa, the least of which is not corruption. That doesn't mean significant investment isn't helpful, or even necessary, to spur economic development in the 3rd world. It just means the prevalent model for aid delivery is significantly flawed. Did it ever occur to you that you might be wrong about whether Bono is doing more harm than good? Just because one economist provides a narrative that appeals to your political sensibility does not mean alternative interpretations aren't necessary or valid. Like I said I don't think the problem is aid but how that aid is delivered. It is obviously not a desirable situation for the income of any country to be predominantly aid driven but you can't just stop aid as it is today without providing another form of support or investment.

You're not the boss of me!