Risk of getting scooped from application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysicianScientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a first author manuscript about to be submitted and this project was a significant part of my research experience. I really want to list it but should I be worried that someone who reads my application might scoop my work or am I just being paranoid? If I list it I am assuming I would have to go into the details of what the project was about so I risk providing lots of information before the paper has actually been published. Similarly, I have worked on a patent but I probably can't list that either right?

Members don't see this ad.

In this case I recommend wearing aluminum foil to the interview. They will not be able to steal your ideas then!

weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

(Yes, you are being paranoid)

Is your patent submitted? In that case you can freely talk about it. You probably could talk about your idea anyway. It's not exactly a public disclosure. But if it's a really good idea it's probably best to keep it quiet until submitted so nobody steals that. I still think there is tin foil level odds of that happening.

Reactions: 4 users
In this case I recommend wearing aluminum foil to the interview. They will not be able to steal your ideas then!

weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

(Yes, you are being paranoid)

Is your patent submitted? In that case you can freely talk about it. You probably could talk about your idea anyway. It's not exactly a public disclosure. But if it's a really good idea it's probably best to keep it quiet until submitted so nobody steals that. I still think there is tin foil level odds of that happening.

haha I figured I was just being paranoid. My patent is just being written up and has not been submitted yet so maybe I'll keep quiet on that and just talk about my first author manuscript that is about to be submitted. Even if someone tried scooping the idea they would probably still have trouble doing all the work and submitting before me since I am so close to submission.