RITE score and Fellowship.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medo-neuro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

This is my first RITE experience. I dont know what to expect or what outcome is considered good.

Any Idea what would be the average score of a PGY2 in general ?
If the RITE score affect my fellowship application what is the reasonable score end up in a very good (vascular Neurology ) fellowship?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You will get a report of the average of your program and of those in your year (PGY2) nationally after you take the exam. RITE has no bearing on fellowship applications.

To answer your question about RITE scores in fellowship app, I'm not sure about all fellowships but for sleep medicine fellowship which is through ERAS, RITE scores were not reported and were not part of the application. None of the interviewers mentioned about RITE/STEP scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody outside your residency cares about your RITE score. It has less bearing on your ability to be a good fellow than whether or not you can beat me in arm wrestling.

I arm wrestle all applicants.

Back whenver I had applied to fellowship, I believe that the only program that even asked for copies of my RITE scores was Mayo. For all others, they wanted solid CV and LOR.

I will echo the above statements if you needed additional reassurance.

Nobody really cares about your RITE exam beyond your own program. Certainly for fellowship. Nor should they. Arm wrestling an applicant has more value. I am only half joking. Maybe some random elite programs like to see your RITE for one reason or another, but I would suspect this has less to do with your application and perhaps more to do with them capturing the information for their own internal metrics. I was asked by one or two strong fellowship locales for USMLE scores (!) but this was rare (and with all due respect probably of nil value for the programs).

Applying for fellowship and earning a position for fellowship has more to do with actually being prepared for that particular fellowship. Is it competitive? If so, did you groom your CV for this by trying your hand at relevant rotations, attempting some research maybe, or securing strong LOR's? In my opinion, the LOR's and your interview itself are by far the most valuable things you can bring to the table for a fellowhsip. Research, or the attempt to do research, enhances an application further and can make you stand out among other strong applicants.

While perhaps not applicable to most Neurology fellowships - if you are planning on applying to a pain fellowship, nearly all asked for ite and board scores. That said, I have no idea how much they counted.