RN 2 MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flightnurse2MD

I’m just a Maserati in a world of Kias
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a 13-year nurse veteran who decided to go back to school at an allopathic program here in the US. Currently about to wrap up the first-year of medical school. I would like my similar counterparts to chime in on how their experiences have been so far. I am curious to know how you felt the curriculum compared to our nursing school education. Personally, I find the volume of material to be much more significant, but the test questions to be straightforward and less ambiguous. Loving the pass/fail grading system as well... ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey,

I am a a current nursing student in Canada heading into my fourth year and I plan on applying to medical school after working a year or two as an RN. Would you say nursing helped you out with your first year? I've heard mixed opinions and I would think that our clinical knowledge would best aid us during clinical rotations in 3rd and fourth year of medical school. Any tips?

I worked in an patient aide position before going to medical school and it definitely has been beneficial when doing clinical skills. Also during clinical days with my advisor for interviewing patients I find it easier to talk with them than some of my peers.

The somewhat frustrating thing is that old habits are hard to get rid of. I find myself paying more attention to making sure that the patient is comfortable and boosted up in bed than what I'm asked to find out about sometimes. Eventually I'll find a compromise.

@TheShowGoesOn I don't understand why you would do nursing if you want to be a doctor. They are completely separate fields. It's like becoming a mechanic in order to become a race car driver.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I worked in an patient aide position before going to medical school and it definitely has been beneficial when doing clinical skills. Also during clinical days with my advisor for interviewing patients I find it easier to talk with them than some of my peers.

The somewhat frustrating thing is that old habits are hard to get rid of. I find myself paying more attention to making sure that the patient is comfortable and boosted up in bed than what I'm asked to find out about sometimes. Eventually I'll find a compromise.

@TheShowGoesOn I don't understand why you would do nursing if you want to be a doctor. They are completely separate fields. It's like becoming a mechanic in order to become a race car driver.
Right but you can do any major to get into medical. As long as you can explain why nursing helped you to do medicine that is alright. Some people were not sure what they wanted to do. But I think not spending at least a year functioning as a nurse in some capacity before entering medical school is a mistake.

Im a 13-year nurse veteran who decided to go back to school at an allopathic program here in the US. Currently about to wrap up the first-year of medical school. I would like my similar counterparts to chime in on how their experiences have been so far. I am curious to know how you felt the curriculum compared to our nursing school education. Personally, I find the volume of material to be much more significant, but the test questions to be straightforward and less ambiguous. Loving the pass/fail grading system as well... ;)

Hey,

I am a a current nursing student in Canada heading into my fourth year and I plan on applying to medical school after working a year or two as an RN. Would you say nursing helped you out with your first year? I've heard mixed opinions and I would think that our clinical knowledge would best aid us during clinical rotations in 3rd and fourth year of medical school. Any tips?
I think nursing REALLY REALLY helped for the basic sciences. And the basic sciences are important for the MCAT and getting into medical. If nursing helps prepare you for the basic sciences, then it certainly helps indirectly getting into and doing well in the medical sciences.
IMO Nursing really make me a hard worker and a better thinker. These qualities were essential for me to get As in bio 1 2, chem 2 and all the other prerequisites for medical.

I think nursing REALLY REALLY helped for the basic sciences. And the basic sciences are important for the MCAT and getting into medical. If nursing helps prepare you for the basic sciences, then it certainly helps indirectly getting into and doing well in the medical sciences.
IMO Nursing really make me a hard worker and a better thinker. These qualities were essential for me to get As in bio 1 2, chem 2 and all the other prerequisites for medical.

op wants replies from medical students, not premeds

Reactions: 6 users
I have always worked hard and studied religiously, but I am doing better in medical school than I did in nursing school with test scoring. In nursing school (over 10 years ago) I would score in the low-mid 80s where now in medical school, I score 10 points higher on average. Have I gotten smarter? Study more effectively? Who knows? That's why I started this thread to get some insights from those similar to my situation.

Hey,

In the end, everyone's experience is different. I told myself I would go back in two years after I finished nursing school and it ended up being 12 years! HA! Life indeed happens. As far as more prepared, I definitely have my s#@t together compared to 10 years ago and I know how to balance my time effectively between school, study, and social activities.

In the end, it will depend on the person with their individual strengths and weaknesses. If you are contemplating medical school during nursing school. It seems to me there is something about nursing that doesn't mesh well with your liking.

op wants replies from medical students, not premeds
so were your contributing to the forum or just targeting me? :) Why don't you reply to the OP then and help him/her out?

I hope you get some of the replies you're looking for as I think it's really interesting. My last rotation of med school was in an ICU and we had a visiting NP student on our team. Not only was she wickedly smart and incredibly good clinically, but her lingo and structure of her presentations and generally manner of thinking were different from mine and how I was taught to approach it. I know OP has just started, but I'm curious to see what differences you notice as you get to the clinical years too.

Interesting thread -- fingers crossed that it doesn't death spiral from "RN 2 MD" into "RN vs MD"

I hope you get some of the replies you're looking for as I think it's really interesting. My last rotation of med school was in an ICU and we had a visiting NP student on our team. Not only was she wickedly smart and incredibly good clinically, but her lingo and structure of her presentations and generally manner of thinking were different from mine and how I was taught to approach it. I know OP has just started, but I'm curious to see what differences you notice as you get to the clinical years too.

Interesting thread -- fingers crossed that it doesn't death spiral from "RN 2 MD" into "RN vs MD"
RN vs MD

Round 1

FIGHT

Reactions: 6 users

How was it different?

so were your contributing to the forum or just targeting me? :) Why don't you reply to the OP then and help him/her out?
@Psai cannot answer the OP as it specifically asked for previous RN's who are now medical students. To my knowledge Psai was never an RN. Just a med student so there is nothing for them to add.

Members don't see this ad :)
How was it different?

Hard to put a finger on exactly. The order was slightly different; some of the lingo was different. I'm trying to come up with a specific example but I can't; I just remember noticing it and wondering to myself if she was taught a slightly different way or had grown accustomed to it from her time in practice (she had worked ~10 years already). That's why this thread made me think about it again and wonder if anyone else had any thoughts on it.

I'll keep thinking about it and maybe I can come up with something a little more tangible.

Hard to put a finger on exactly. The order was slightly different; some of the lingo was different. I'm trying to come up with a specific example but I can't; I just remember noticing it and wondering to myself if she was taught a slightly different way or had grown accustomed to it from her time in practice (she had worked ~10 years already). That's why this thread made me think about it again and wonder if anyone else had any thoughts on it.

I'll keep thinking about it and maybe I can come up with something a little more tangible.
That surprises me because the education is different.

Our test questions are very clinical since my school uses NBME...

Becoming a nurse will give me plenty of clinical exposure and enable me to get a green card, move to the states and attend medical school. It is a stepping stone and I have reasons for choosing this path that could be presented if the nursing background was ever questioned.

@Psai cannot answer the OP as it specifically asked for previous RN's who are now medical students. To my knowledge Psai was never an RN. Just a med student so there is nothing for them to add.
right, But I think there were some med students who weren't RNs answering the OP. Fyi.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
nursing anatomy and physiology had much less detail and explanation compared to undergrad anatomy and physiology, never mind medical school courses
it helps like precalc helps for multivariable calculus, you get some of the language and the concepts but it's not even close to enough
the pace of medical school is much faster than undergrad bio or nursing and the volume is overwhelming. it's like being on finals week every single day
in medical school, you learn things in excruciating depth and have to put concepts together. then you have to apply them to real patients which is the hard part

i've seen accelerated nursing and the pace was impressive but they touched upon the information rather superficially. basically they just go through the "what" and not the "why"
for example they will say that thiazides are good for keep calcium and loop diuretics are good for getting rid of calcium but don't go in depth into how the glomerulus works or what ion channels are being affected or how the change in ion concentration of the fluid in the kidney tubules affects channel activity in the collecting duct. which is okay because that's not their job

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

We start clinical early at my program. At my first day at a internal medicine outpatient clinic, I meet a FNP student. I wore slacks and a tie with my white coat. She wore a thermal (which accentuated her assets), skinny jeans, and converse shoes. I was floored.

In nursing school, the grading scale is anything below a 75 is failing. 76-84 is a C. 85-92 is a B. 93-100 is an A. The same goes for graduate school too. Here at my program, no grades. Pass/fail below a 70. I find it interesting how nursing education feels they need to impose this scale when most health curriculums are pass/fail not counting physical therapy and pharmacy.

Ive noticed too, the whole "birds of a feather" since doing pre-med and medical school. I always kinda stuck out being a male, but most of my male counterparts were older, married, with kids so I never had anything in common with them. The perspectives and demeanor I have never really gelled with others until now. Guess I am where I am meant to be. All part of the journey.

We start clinical early at my program. At my first day at a internal medicine outpatient clinic, I meet a FNP student. I wore slacks and a tie with my white coat. She wore a thermal (which accentuated her assets), skinny jeans, and converse shoes. I was floored.

In nursing school, the grading scale is anything below a 75 is failing. 76-84 is a C. 85-92 is a B. 93-100 is an A. The same goes for graduate school too. Here at my program, no grades. Pass/fail below a 70. I find it interesting how nursing education feels they need to impose this scale when most health curriculums are pass/fail not counting physical therapy and pharmacy.

Ive noticed too, the whole "birds of a feather" since doing pre-med and medical school. I always kinda stuck out being a male, but most of my male counterparts were older, married, with kids so I never had anything in common with them. The perspectives and demeanor I have never really gelled with others until now. Guess I am where I am meant to be. All part of the journey.

rather unprofessional not that i'm complaining

Maybe it was an isolated event, but I couldn't imagine leaving the house for clinical that day thinking it was cool.

Just FYI (and this very well may be inconsequential to you), medical students don't call their third or fourth year rotations "clinical" or "clinicals" - that's strictly a nursing (or other allied health) term.

Medical students call it "clinical years", "rotations", "clinical rotations", "wards", or "hell", depending on who you ask.

A small point, but you will stick out like a sore thumb.

Reactions: 2 users
Just FYI (and this very well may be inconsequential to you), medical students don't call their third or fourth year rotations "clinical" or "clinicals" - that's strictly a nursing (or other allied health) term.

Medical students call it "clinical years", "rotations", "clinical rotations", "wards", or "hell", depending on who you ask.

A small point, but you will stick out like a sore thumb.

Noted!

At my school the med students call it clinicals. It may be school dependent.

It's when one is in med school one can understand how watered down these nursing classes were...

Reactions: 2 users
This is untrue. While your school may be a true pass/fail (and I emphasize the word 'may' as your institution may still track rankings internally and report it on your MSPE despite awarding a pass/fail on your transcript), most medical schools are not.

This is untrue. While your school may be a true pass/fail (and I emphasize the word 'may' as your institution may still track rankings internally and report it on your MSPE despite awarding a pass/fail on your transcript), most medical schools are not.

According to our faculty, we are ranked during Phase II of our curriculum- clinical rotations. The only distinction on our transcripts and our residency application is whether or not we achieved honors, above a 90 in each block during our Phase I didactics, and if we failed a class.

3530eb495c1931e08d227d2de4ed7fd4345d43fcbdc9c39800a8fe0be32afa3d.jpg
It's not really a dream, i'd say it's a plan backed by facts and previous experiences. As a Canadian looking to move to the States for medical school there are green cards specific for nurses. But thanks for the image, I totally forgot there were that many Disney Princesses.

Lets also not forget the op is not an average RN.

And still has a long way to go.

Comparing grading systems is like comparing apples to oranges. Completely different caliber of students and education.

When op is completely done with all medical education and residency lets see if he says RNs should be 'working at the top of their license' and what that exactly means.

What med school is op in that at the end of med school the students aren't stratified?

Lets also not forget the op is not an average RN.

And still has a long way to go.

Comparing grading systems is like comparing apples to oranges. Completely different caliber of students and education.

When op is completely done with all medical education and residency lets see if he says RNs should be 'working at the top of their license' and what that exactly means.

What med school is op in that at the end of med school the students aren't stratified?

There is no comparison- just stating the different evaluation systems between a nursing and medical education. I find it interesting that I am doing better as a medical student than I ever did as a nursing student. Wanted to know if this is the case with my counterparts. I have always done average along the the way and now I am consistently above my class average. I study and put in the time, but by no means am I anything special.

And yes, I do have a long way to go. But it is truly the journey and not the destination... ;)

There is no comparison- just stating the different evaluation systems between a nursing and medical education. I find it interesting that I am doing better as a medical student than I ever did as a nursing student. Wanted to know if this is the case with my counterparts. I have always done average along the the way and now I am consistently above my class average. I study and put in the time, but by no means am I anything special.

And yes, I do have a long way to go. But it is truly the journey and not the destination... ;)
And you are coming into med school with an RN degree and 13 years of experience.

Grasshopper

I had a crna in my med school. Went into im.

Doesnt mean I should have an advantage during didactics. I think it will help me more during my clerkship rotations.

It should help in both. You are familiar with medical terminology. Once again, long way to go.
I hope you are in the top tier for everything.

According to our faculty, we are ranked during Phase II of our curriculum- clinical rotations. The only distinction on our transcripts and our residency application is whether or not we achieved honors, above a 90 in each block during our Phase I didactics, and if we failed a class.

Ask the dean of students to find out the real skinny on this. I don't know of any medical school that doesn't stratify into 4-5 segments at the end.

Ask the dean of students to find out the real skinny on this. I don't know of any medical school that doesn't stratify into 4-5 segments at the end.

We are ranked during Phase II of 3rd year based on shelf exam scores and performance evaluations.

We are ranked during Phase II of 3rd year based on shelf exam scores and performance evaluations.

I would double and triple check this. This board is littered with posts from frustrated 4th years exclaiming "they told us we weren't being ranked!!!" after realizing everything they've done has contribute to their class rank thus far.

What can I say? This is what my advisor, Dean, and upper classmen have told me. Sorry. Guess I will do the same come 4th yr. Regardless, I study and try to do the best I can. Let the chips fall as they may.

What can I say? This is what my advisor, Dean, and upper classmen have told me. Sorry. Guess I will do the same come 4th yr. Regardless, I study and try to do the best I can. Let the chips fall as they may.

Good. You should always try your best. And I'm really glad you are in med school. Congratulations!
If you do an sdn search you may find other threads with nurses who are medical students.

Good. You should always try your best. And I'm really glad you are in med school. Congratulations!
If you do an sdn search you may find other threads with nurses who are medical students.

Thanks! I am too. So far the struggle has been worth it.... ;)

Deleted, unnecessary.

Last edited:
Just heard this from a nurse manager this etiology suggestion. Background pt has recent pacemaker placement and is c/o dizziness. Doc is working it up and nurse tries to contribute and says well it says here he has peripheral neuropathy, what about that?

This person has been a nurse for >25 years.

I don't see why this is an unreasonable suggestion