RN to MD Progress/Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Straw Hat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm stealing someone else's idea and making a progress thread for all us RN to MD/DO hopefuls. Feel free to post a little about yourself, where you work, your progress / timeline, interests, or anything else pertaining to nursing.

Myself: 27, male, Florida / St. Pete area, I've worked on a Medical Respiratory floor for almost two years now. I'm sure I could make myself content for a little while if I went to the ICU or ED but eventually I'd want more.

I have a few C's in sciences prior to starting this journey. Never figured they'd hurt me down the road. I started my post bac with Chemistry II and Anatomy and Phys since I never had to take it as a prereq. I finished Organic Chemistry I and Trig this Spring, Organic Chemistry II this Summer B session (I need to ask this professor if he's willing to write a strong LOR since I spent a decent amount of time in his office hours). All A's so far but now I have Physics I this Fall (I was horrendous at Physics in high school like 11 years ago), and I guess Physics II and Biochemistry in the Spring. I'm not sure if I should take those two together. Especially since I'm getting married in January and will likely miss a week of class for the wedding / honeymoon.

Interests: PM&R (SCI, Musc, TBI) is probably my top choice even though I don't have exposure to it at the moment. The idea of working with people who can actually get better and gain some functionality back really excites me. Whereas my floor the majority of these people are never going to stop abusing alcohol, drugs, smoking etc and thus will never get better. It's a pretty decent lifestyle speciality too. Primary care in theory sounds good (working on prevention and managing chronic illnesses as necessary). I played baseball in college for a couple of years until I was basically too injured to give it my best so Sports Med seems appealing too and there are a few routes to that.

Timeline: Finish Physics I, II, and Biochemistry by Spring. Study a few months for MCAT, take in the Fall and eventually apply.

So there's a bit about myself. Feel free to post if you're a nurse or if you're not but have some advice for us.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Awesome thread, I'll copy and paste what I've wrote to a fellow SDN member about my life story due to sheer laziness :p.

Well for my story. I’m currently 27 years old, considered by some areas as a URM (Cambodian though classified as “Asian”) I Had a rough first year in college, my mom was a single parent of three and by all means she's no superwoman, but she pushes herself to the limit every single day just to provide for her family. Though she had great work ethic, she was also hindered due to physical/psychological limitations. (She suffered PTSD & chronic pains from torture during her childhood years during the "Cambodian Genocide" <--- google "Killing Fields" ). For my part, I would often sacrifice school with working extra days to help pay for housing expenses (It’s kind of like a cultural role, if you are the oldest, you are expected to be the breadwinner if your parents are unable to). Still I didn’t think that was an excuse to sacrifice school as many people have completed both feat., I guess you can blame my immaturity at the time.

I decided to get back to school and get into nursing per a recommendation by one of the staff nurses who was caring for my mom when she fell ill. I was sold easily after being exposed to the work environment of the health field and the role of nurses. With the help and support of family and friends, I got my act together, applied/got hired as a dishwasher at a local community hospital while working full-time nights while filling in my prerequisites. I would gradually move up by working as a PCA, Phlebotomist and eventually Nursing once I've completed my coursework. I graduated from my BSN program w/ an overall GPA of 3.67. Factoring in all of my previous college coursework, I've accumulated a cGPA of 3.06 and sGPA of 3.65.

I decided to pursue in medicine after realizing that so many people within the underserved community, especially Southeast Asian's in my area are repeatedly being readmitted for complications that can be most definitely be prevented had they go see their primary care doctor. Part of the issue, is that the within the Southeast Asian community, not many area really exposed to the western style of medicine as compared to their eastern counterpart. A classic example can be those who present clinical symptoms of fever. We know that there may possibly be an infection, as the body is trying to fight it off. Worst case scenario, we think of sepsis which can lead to organ failure and possibly death. In eastern medicine, in most cases when someone is feeling sick and/or having a fever, immediately "coining" would be the ideal choice for therapy. The belief is that, when an individual is sick, there's an imbalance in the body. With coining, it will allow the body to find a natural balance between their yin and yang, resulting an improvement of health. With the disconnect between two idealistic beliefs of medicine, it can be crucial if the person mistaken clinical signs of sepsis for a simple fever that requires no immediate medical treatment. I want to help fill in that gap between the two and create an access for those who are unaware of modern style medicine in the U.S. You can say if I get into medicine, primary care or perhaps emergency would be my choice.

That pretty much sums of my whole story of becoming an RN, aspiring to become a Doc. :). I would hope more RN's would participate and include their life story as to why they became a nurse and eventually wanting to become a Doc.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'll post too!
I'm 23 years old and I'm a NICU/PICU nurse. I thought about taking classes for medical school in undergrad, but unfortunately I let my insecurities get the best of me. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to pass chem/ochem/physics so I went nursing instead. Although I wish I had gone straight to med school time-wise, I don't think I would change anything. I really feel like I needed the time after graduation to grow up a little bit. I thought I would be happy with pursuing a CRNA/NP degree, but I'm right back to wanting to go into medicine. I just finished Chem I and received an A in the class. I've got my confidence back and I'm not going to let anything else stop me. I've worked in adult ICU and NICU/PIC, and I've really fallen in love with the pediatric population. I don't necessarily think I'd go into neonatology, but I'm interested in pediatric genetics, genetics, and oncology. But as we all know from nursing school, what you think you want to do and what you actually end up doing can be two completely different areas.

I've told a few people of my plans, and I've gotten a 50/50 response. Some are supportive some give me this ---> :wtf:. Working full time nights and going to school has had it's challenges but I know the sacrifices I make now will pay off in the end. I'm worried about spring semester though because I'll have to take orgo 1 and physics 1 with classes 3 days a week all day, so I'm not sure how I'm going to work that around my schedule without going to part time.

@cherubb3 congratulations!!! You give me hope that it can be done. I wish all the best to you and hope that you get acceptances!

Let's definitely keep this thread going with our progress and frustrations. It'll be nice to have an outlet with other people who are going through the same process.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello,

This is a great thread and I think we will be able to help each other out.

I am 26, new grad, just started a new job on a cardiac med/surg floor. I worked in EMS outside of the US for a few years and decided to come back and study to get a degree in the medical field. Life took me to nursing school with the idea of going to NP school after but about half way through I new I wanted to go to medical school (dropping out was not an option I had as I did not attend a traditional RN school). Now I am just hoping I can get a weekend or night schedule so that I can finish the necessary pre-reqs.

@MadHatter013 I get the same reaction, although mine is about 5% supportive and 95% WTF!! LOL.

I won't lie, the financial aspect of all of this has me very nervous. Well, the toll it may take on my marriage, RN job, finances, etc all have me scared but deep down I have a enormous desire to go to medical school...I am sure many of you feel the same way.

I have a lot of work to do: Chem 122, O-chem, physics, various biology courses....a long list at this point! I'm hoping to be in medical school by age 31, 32.

If I can help in anyway please let me know. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
^You won't have a problem scheduling weekends. Most places rotate weekends and they'll gladly have a dedicated weekender. Try to get weekend days if you can, nights won't be conductive to learning.

Mid-thirties RN (ADN), born into med-surg and delivered unto a small rural ED. Second job as a county EMT, also a longtime town EMS volunteer.

Prior to nursing I was a professional actor, director, and stage manager (no, I'm not kidding), then an English teacher overseas for several years, and somewhere in the middle an AmeriCorps volunteer. The path's been long, kind of strange, and completely worth every moment. When I finally sat down and made a commitment to this road to this I first had to dig myself out of a ~2.7 GPA (I'd done very well in nursing school but poorly on my former liberal arts track) from over a decade ago, so I went back to undergrad and did a Biology degree from the ground up.

It's been rough with an extremely long school commute and two jobs to juggle, but here I am. I expected the worst given my GPA (cum 3.28, sci 3.86), but I have six IIs so far and believe me when I say I'm completely stunned. If anyone wants the much more long-winded version of my story thusfar, feel free to PM me.

My ED sisters and brothers know what I'm doing and I'm happy to say they've all been intensively supportive. Breaks my heart when I see stories of people who've been sniffed at when they've confided in their co-workers. Glad to see those folks getting support here. Best of luck to all of you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hello everyone! I would love to share a little about myself. I'm new to SD forums. I'm a 23 year old female, RN, BSN in the ED (trauma level 1). I did an accelerated program and realized half way through that I wanted to pursue medicine definitely. My first degree was in English. Overall cGPA 3.3 and I will need to take all of my prereqs but I feel really optimistic!!! The attendings at my job have been super supportive and I shadowed one while I was still in school. I know of two MDs and one DO who would write me stellar LORs. I plan to do a DIY postbacc all of next year, take my MCAT at the end of next year and apply to as many schools as I can.

Reactions: 3 users
^You won't have a problem scheduling weekends. Most places rotate weekends and they'll gladly have a dedicated weekender. Try to get weekend days if you can, nights won't be conductive to learning.

True, I feel like I have been working A LOT of weekends for quite some time.

True, I feel like I have been working A LOT of weekends for quite some time.

Same here! I've been working a lot of Tuesdays (classes are m/w) and a lot of Saturdays. I'm in the process now of trying to get to a dayshift position.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, I am new to the site. Here is my story.

My dream, at almost 30, is to be a doctor. I have been a nurse for almost 7 years and recently finished my NP degree in May.

I started out as a Biology Major because I did not know excatly what I wanted to do at age 18. I had a very fun first two years in college and did not do well like I could have. My first years of school I ended up with a GPA of 2.6...blah

I decided to be a nurse and my GPA was like 3.5. Cumalitive undergrade GPA of 3.003. It stinks. My graduate GPA was 3.8, but I know med schools do not look at those much.

I want to go to med school, but I don;t know if i will get in. I know I have to retake my sciences which will boost my overall GPA and hopefully I will walk away with a science GPA of 3.3. I know MD schools average retake classes together.

Any chance it is remotely possible to get in? I know I can do well. i just would hate to put the two years for my sciences and then not even get in. Suggestions?

Hi guys, I am new to the site. Here is my story.

My dream, at almost 30, is to be a doctor. I have been a nurse for almost 7 years and recently finished my NP degree in May.

I started out as a Biology Major because I did not know excatly what I wanted to do at age 18. I had a very fun first two years in college and did not do well like I could have. My first years of school I ended up with a GPA of 2.6...blah

I decided to be a nurse and my GPA was like 3.5. Cumalitive undergrade GPA of 3.003. It stinks. My graduate GPA was 3.8, but I know med schools do not look at those much.

I want to go to med school, but I don;t know if i will get in. I know I have to retake my sciences which will boost my overall GPA and hopefully I will walk away with a science GPA of 3.3. I know MD schools average retake classes together.

Any chance it is remotely possible to get in? I know I can do well. i just would hate to put the two years for my sciences and then not even get in. Suggestions?

From what I've read on this site, if you retake your sciences for better grades you should be a great candidate for DO for sure. I'm not so sure about MD though. @Goro is a great source of information!

From what I've read on this site, if you retake your sciences for better grades you should be a great candidate for DO for sure. I'm not so sure about MD though. @Goro is a great source of information!

Second this^ re: DO. MD schools average all grades; so there is no such thing as grade replacement. You can re-take sciences--get A's and get the cum effect of that; but you'd probably have to do that plus an SMP or some program where you do upper level science courses or a program like Temple ACMS. If you can get into that one, that's a great deal. MCAT will matter too.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i'm a big fan of RNs as candidates for med school. My school will take you!

So I'm stealing someone else's idea and making a progress thread for all us RN to MD/DO hopefuls. Feel free to post a little about yourself, where you work, your progress / timeline, interests, or anything else pertaining to nursing.

Myself: 27, male, Florida / St. Pete area, I've worked on a Medical Respiratory floor for almost two years now. I'm sure I could make myself content for a little while if I went to the ICU or ED but eventually I'd want more.

I have a few C's in sciences prior to starting this journey. Never figured they'd hurt me down the road. I started my post bac with Chemistry II and Anatomy and Phys since I never had to take it as a prereq. I finished Organic Chemistry I and Trig this Spring, Organic Chemistry II this Summer B session (I need to ask this professor if he's willing to write a strong LOR since I spent a decent amount of time in his office hours). All A's so far but now I have Physics I this Fall (I was horrendous at Physics in high school like 11 years ago), and I guess Physics II and Biochemistry in the Spring. I'm not sure if I should take those two together. Especially since I'm getting married in January and will likely miss a week of class for the wedding / honeymoon.

Interests: PM&R (SCI, Musc, TBI) is probably my top choice even though I don't have exposure to it at the moment. The idea of working with people who can actually get better and gain some functionality back really excites me. Whereas my floor the majority of these people are never going to stop abusing alcohol, drugs, smoking etc and thus will never get better. It's a pretty decent lifestyle speciality too. Primary care in theory sounds good (working on prevention and managing chronic illnesses as necessary). I played baseball in college for a couple of years until I was basically too injured to give it my best so Sports Med seems appealing too and there are a few routes to that.

Timeline: Finish Physics I, II, and Biochemistry by Spring. Study a few months for MCAT, take in the Fall and eventually apply.

So there's a bit about myself. Feel free to post if you're a nurse or if you're not but have some advice for us.

Thanks

Reactions: 11 users
I guess I'll post too!
I'm 23 years old and I'm a NICU/PICU nurse. I thought about taking classes for medical school in undergrad, but unfortunately I let my insecurities get the best of me. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to pass chem/ochem/physics so I went nursing instead. Although I wish I had gone straight to med school time-wise, I don't think I would change anything. I really feel like I needed the time after graduation to grow up a little bit. I thought I would be happy with pursuing a CRNA/NP degree, but I'm right back to wanting to go into medicine. I just finished Chem I and received an A in the class. I've got my confidence back and I'm not going to let anything else stop me. I've worked in adult ICU and NICU/PIC, and I've really fallen in love with the pediatric population. I don't necessarily think I'd go into neonatology, but I'm interested in pediatric genetics, genetics, and oncology. But as we all know from nursing school, what you think you want to do and what you actually end up doing can be two completely different areas.

I've told a few people of my plans, and I've gotten a 50/50 response. Some are supportive some give me this ---> :wtf:. Working full time nights and going to school has had it's challenges but I know the sacrifices I make now will pay off in the end. I'm worried about spring semester though because I'll have to take orgo 1 and physics 1 with classes 3 days a week all day, so I'm not sure how I'm going to work that around my schedule without going to part time.

@cherubb3 congratulations!!! You give me hope that it can be done. I wish all the best to you and hope that you get acceptances!

Let's definitely keep this thread going with our progress and frustrations. It'll be nice to have an outlet with other people who are going through the same process.

That's the truth. I said out of nursing school that I would NEVER do pediatrics, much less critical care peds. Something came over me after recovering over a zillion adult open heart patients. I jumped in and I realized, I really dig sick kids--of all things. LOL I had to push myself though, b/c I began with much trepidation.

I hope you can keep working in NICU/PICU while going to school. There is so much to learn. There is a ton of stuff with adult critical care too. I waited almost ten years before I took the CCRN certification. I had the hours and experience, but I think I was just overwhelmed with kids, work, life. I studied extra the things that I was exposed to in the unit; but I didn't prepare full system by system until about 3 weeks up to the test date. I had paid the money, and I decided, "What the heck!" Much different from NCLEX, and well beyond ACLS or PALS. Did well. It was a good experience.

Thing is, if you work days and rotate, like most day positions in NICU or PICU require, you end up missing labs or classes. So, while 12+ nights are hard, if you get out on time, you can get to class, get home, and get at least 6hrs sleep before going back in, and you don't have worry about missing classes b/c of scheduling.

Good luck.

25 year old ICU RN here (4 years). I have completed all of my pre requisites. Taking Biochemistry and finishing my BSN this fall. My GPA isn't the greatest (expecting 3.3-3.4) but it has come up tremendously since I received my ADN (graduated with a 2.9).

I'm still worried about my family, I have a 2 yr old and a 6 week old. I'm concerned about the time I'll lose in training with them. My wife is also a nurse and is 100% supportive and is ready to move and begin our next phase.

Many of my close physician mentors advise me to choose different paths, including NP. I'm somewhat torn. Will take my MCAT in the spring as well.

That's the truth. I said out of nursing school that I would NEVER do pediatrics, much less critical care peds. Something came over me after recovering over a zillion adult open heart patients. I jumped in and I realized, I really dig sick kids--of all things. LOL I had to push myself though, b/c I began with much trepidation.

I hope you can keep working in NICU/PICU while going to school. There is so much to learn. There is a ton of stuff with adult critical care too. I waited almost ten years before I took the CCRN certification. I had the hours and experience, but I think I was just overwhelmed with kids, work, life. I studied extra the things that I was exposed to in the unit; but I didn't prepare full system by system until about 3 weeks up to the test date. I had paid the money, and I decided, "What the heck!" Much different from NCLEX, and well beyond ACLS or PALS. Did well. It was a good experience.

Thing is, if you work days and rotate, like most day positions in NICU or PICU require, you end up missing labs or classes. So, while 12+ nights are hard, if you get out on time, you can get to class, get home, and get at least 6hrs sleep before going back in, and you don't have worry about missing classes b/c of scheduling.

Good luck.

Yeah I swore I was going to go to CTICU until I did a rotation there and realized that would be a big hell no for me lol. My unit is actually pretty good about giving you days off that you need while you're in school. I have m/w off right now, but it'll be easier if I'm on days once I start taking orgo I and physics I.

25 year old ICU RN here (4 years). I have completed all of my pre requisites. Taking Biochemistry and finishing my BSN this fall. My GPA isn't the greatest (expecting 3.3-3.4) but it has come up tremendously since I received my ADN (graduated with a 2.9).

I'm still worried about my family, I have a 2 yr old and a 6 week old. I'm concerned about the time I'll lose in training with them. My wife is also a nurse and is 100% supportive and is ready to move and begin our next phase.

Many of my close physician mentors advise me to choose different paths, including NP. I'm somewhat torn. Will take my MCAT in the spring as well.

That's awesome that you have the support of your wife through this journey. Why do you physician mentors advise against the MD/DO path?

Hey FCMike I too have a 2 year old and a 4 month old and fortunately have support from my wife who is also an RN. By the time I'm done with my prerequisites they'll be 3 and 5, and hopefully potty trained. I'd say follow your heart and do something that you will not regret in the long run. I've comptemplated many times as to whether choosing a different route will make me happy, but in the end being a physician will always creep up in the back of my mind.

That's awesome that you have the support of your wife through this journey. Why do you physician mentors advise against the MD/DO path?

I'm assuming with the way things are going now with the way things are going with the healthcare reform, it seems that physicians are the ones being screwed over in the end. Some of the physicians i work with feel this way. As nurses we have the luxury to pull in six figures if we find the right job and do OT. This route will definitely take a lot of sacrifices as we are giving up our income and will most likely live like a poor college student. But If your conviction to become a doctor is that strong, it will definitely pay off in the end.

Last edited:
I'm glad I found this thread.

I am a 23 year old male with an associates in nursing. I'm applying this cycle with a 3.79 GPA and the equivalent of a 35 MCAT (96 percentile for new exam). I'm the charge nurse of an ED.

Have any of you guys gotten any research down? That's one area I'm really lacking in. It's too late at this point in the cycle obviously, but I wonder how bad it hurts.

I'm glad I found this thread.

I am a 23 year old male with an associates in nursing. I'm applying this cycle with a 3.79 GPA and the equivalent of a 35 MCAT (96 percentile for new exam). I'm the charge nurse of an ED.

Have any of you guys gotten any research down? That's one area I'm really lacking in. It's too late at this point in the cycle obviously, but I wonder how bad it hurts.

I have some research, though no papers published. It seems to be rather highly school-dependent. If you're applying to Stanford they'll laugh in your face. Tulane, not so much. All goes into that notion of "fit" and paying close attention to which schools emphasize what. You'll be fine at many without research, just apply smartly.

I have some research, though no papers published. It seems to be rather highly school-dependent. If you're applying to Stanford they'll laugh in your face. Tulane, not so much. All goes into that notion of "fit" and paying close attention to which schools emphasize what. You'll be fine at many without research, just apply smartly.
Yeah, most of my schools don't have a huge >95% of people with research-- judging by the MSAR.

I would love to cut my hours to per diem and do research, but alas, the bills need to be payed.

Nice thread! Love seeing my fellow RNs going for medical school. I'm also an ED nurse albeit a new one. Worked on tele for 2 yrs then transferred to ED. I've been taking premed classes for the past year. Planning to take the mcat next spring and then apply. It has been a rough journey so far working friday-sunday night shift for past year but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel so I'm pretty excited.

If I get A's in my last four classes, my cumulative gpa will be roughly 3.55. My science GPA is higher for MD schools because AMCAS does not count nursing classes as science classes (thank god!) -- 3.8ish. For DO schools though my sgpa will be around 3.4.

I would love to do emergency medicine or cardiology.

Generally because of the way reimbursements are changing and the scope of NP's is expanding. Also the work hours, time away from family (I think this can be specialty specific). But this is my biggest concern.

Nice thread! Love seeing my fellow RNs going for medical school. I'm also an ED nurse albeit a new one. Worked on tele for 2 yrs then transferred to ED. I've been taking premed classes for the past year. Planning to take the mcat next spring and then apply. It has been a rough journey so far working friday-sunday night shift for past year but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel so I'm pretty excited.

If I get A's in my last four classes, my cumulative gpa will be roughly 3.55. My science GPA is higher for MD schools because AMCAS does not count nursing classes as science classes (thank god!) -- 3.8ish. For DO schools though my sgpa will be around 3.4.

I would love to do emergency medicine or cardiology.

I thought I would have liked EM, however after working in the field for four years I can easily see how I would get burnt out quickly as an EM physician.

I thought I would have liked EM, however after working in the field for four years I can easily see how I would get burnt out quickly as an EM physician.

Many of my ED buddies who finished school with me moved out of ED after two years of working in the dept. A majority of them were close to experiencing a burnout already, so many had to disperse to other places like cath lab, OR, and ICU.

Many of my ED buddies who finished school with me moved out of ED after two years of working in the dept. A majority of them were close to experiencing a burnout already, so many had to disperse to other places like cath lab, OR, and ICU.
Yeah, it's a different beast... although I have no experience elsewhere. I would rather focus on one patient at a time and really get to take care of them rather than being pulled in twenty different directions.

Hey which physics are you guys taking? Calc or non calc based?

If any of you are staring down organic chemistry I or II, by the way, I have some resources in my dropbox that anyone is welcome to. Just PM me.

How was it?

Frustrating and fairly awful through the first half of Physics I. Better in the second half of Physics I and then most of Physics II after I began to understand the application of vague (to me) concepts.

But I went into it with a lot of self-doubt and having convinced myself that I'd do terribly, which I'm sure influenced me. I got B's in both semesters, but I bled for them. There are plenty of people for whom physics is a breeze. I just wasn't one of them ;)

I'm taking it next semester so I'll probably have to take you up on that

Anytime, just let me know.

Remember guys, get a private tutor or utilize your institution for cheaper tutors if you can afford it. You can ask all the stupid questions you have in private and get a quick and correct response! My personal tutor was worth his weight in gold.

Anyways, anybody a bit sad when you see these early 20s year old medstudents/intern/residents doing rounds? Can't help but to think 'what if,' but I'm glad I still have a sliver of hope for med school at least.

Remember guys, get a private tutor or utilize your institution for cheaper tutors if you can afford it. You can ask all the stupid questions you have in private and get a quick and correct response! My personal tutor was worth his weight in gold.

Anyways, anybody a bit sad when you see these early 20s year old medstudents/intern/residents doing rounds? Can't help but to think 'what if,' but I'm glad I still have a sliver of hope for med school at least.

Haha, we have quite a few of those youngster resident docs running around the whole area. I am, however are starting to see more of mid-30's to 40's residents flocking around as well. To be honest I've had a much better experience with the older residents compared to their younger counterparts. Not that the young bucks are anyway bad, but the older ones I see spend much more time with the patients and actually sit down face to face with us nurses asking about the patient, rather than just skimming through our notes.

Yeah I have those thoughts sometimes. I think "man, if only I had done this in the beginning I'd be where they are right now". But honestly, I don't think I was anywhere near ready to do med school at 20/21 years old. I think working has given me some time to get myself together and now I'm ready!

i'm a big fan of RNs as candidates for med school. My school will take you!

Oh I'd love to apply but unfortunately I'm limited based on my fiancés job as well. She's a news reporter and is finally in a top 20 market. She's definitely willing to work with me but in a perfect world I'd wind up somewhere in Florida. But who knows, maybe I'll broaden my horizon in the future :p

Good to see all these other nurses on the same path!

Last edited:
Yeah I have those thoughts sometimes. I think "man, if only I had done this in the beginning I'd be where they are right now". But honestly, I don't think I was anywhere near ready to do med school at 20/21 years old. I think working has given me some time to get myself together and now I'm ready!

That's exactly my mentality, as I was never a good student (pretty good now though).

I don't feel sad, per se. I had amazing experiences in my 20s, including AmeriCorps and living abroad long-term. I don't regret those at all. I know myself, my strengths, my limitations, and my 'why medicine' much more strongly in my 30s than I ever could have in my twenties. :)

Reactions: 1 users

Not one bit. I've experienced wondrous years during my early 20's. Before I even hit 26, I've already purchased my own home, paid off my car, gotten married, and have two children. Going through this, have given me a much better insight on life and helped me determine what I want to do with my life. Had I start out straight out of high school as a pre-med, I would've never met might wife, therefore my children would cease to exist and possibly would not know what it's like to enjoy life to the fullest as a young adult.

So I just started class yesterday and I'm taking 9 credits and working full time nights. Has anyone done this and survived? I'm a little nervous as I've only done 4 credits at a time.

So I just started class yesterday and I'm taking 9 credits and working full time nights. Has anyone done this and survived? I'm a little nervous as I've only done 4 credits at a time.

I'm doing 9 units as well. We'll get through this.

If you want to become a physician, I would definitely go for it. I am a Registered Nurse by profession. Here is a little about me.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Chinelo and I am applying for the Fall 2016 Cycle to 23 MD Programs ONLY- 9 in Texas and 14 outside of Texas. I am a Registered Nurse by profession and a graduate of Texas Woman's University- College of Nursing in Houston, Texas with Bachelor of Science in Nursing in May 2014 ( 3.48 cumulative GPA). I currently work for 2 home health agencies part-time. On top of that, I am attending graduate school full-time at UT School of Public Health in Houston since August 2014. I am getting my Masters in Public Health in Community Health Practice. My Graduate GPA is a 3.68 as of the Spring 2015 semester. During the Spring, I worked 6-7 weeks with the City of Houston Department of Health & Human Services on their STRYVE Project, a CDC National initiative striving to reduce youth violence. This summer I have spent 3 months working with Texas Children's Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine doing Public Health Research about Food Allergies in Schools via an Online Educational Tool. Since August 2014, I have been self-studying for the MCAT on and off. I did not start doing practice tests fully until May 2015. On my practice tests, I was scoring between 122-125 on each section and was aiming to score at least a 500 on the new MCAT. I took the MCAT on July 18th, 2015 and got my scores yesterday only scoring a 491 which was in the 23% percentile compared to those who took the exam in April and May of this year. I have opted not to retake and just continue with my application process. My common applications have been submitted and processed with all my transcripts, scores and letters and now I am completing 20 secondary applications. 5 of the 20 secondary applications I have submitted. What do you guys think of my situation? The last day to retake for the current year is September 23, 2015 and I do not want to delay my application. I don't like my score but I am just crossing my fingers and praying to God that my academic background and experiences help me get admitted into medical school.

If you want to become a physician, I would definitely go for it. I am a Registered Nurse by profession. Here is a little about me.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Chinelo and I am applying for the Fall 2016 Cycle to 23 MD Programs ONLY- 9 in Texas and 14 outside of Texas. I am a Registered Nurse by profession and a graduate of Texas Woman's University- College of Nursing in Houston, Texas with Bachelor of Science in Nursing in May 2014 ( 3.48 cumulative GPA). I currently work for 2 home health agencies part-time. On top of that, I am attending graduate school full-time at UT School of Public Health in Houston since August 2014. I am getting my Masters in Public Health in Community Health Practice. My Graduate GPA is a 3.68 as of the Spring 2015 semester. During the Spring, I worked 6-7 weeks with the City of Houston Department of Health & Human Services on their STRYVE Project, a CDC National initiative striving to reduce youth violence. This summer I have spent 3 months working with Texas Children's Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine doing Public Health Research about Food Allergies in Schools via an Online Educational Tool. Since August 2014, I have been self-studying for the MCAT on and off. I did not start doing practice tests fully until May 2015. On my practice tests, I was scoring between 122-125 on each section and was aiming to score at least a 500 on the new MCAT. I took the MCAT on July 18th, 2015 and got my scores yesterday only scoring a 491 which was in the 23% percentile compared to those who took the exam in April and May of this year. I have opted not to retake and just continue with my application process. My common applications have been submitted and processed with all my transcripts, scores and letters and now I am completing 20 secondary applications. 5 of the 20 secondary applications I have submitted. What do you guys think of my situation? The last day to retake for the current year is September 23, 2015 and I do not want to delay my application. I don't like my score but I am just crossing my fingers and praying to God that my academic background and experiences help me get admitted into medical school.

Hey Chinelo, welcome to the official "RN to MD/DO Progress/Support thread :D. Your grades, clinical experience, and extracurricular activities you've vested in puts you as a solid candidate I believe for MD schools in Texas. But the main problem here is your MCAT score. I really do hope you get an invite from one of the Texas schools, but do consider retaking the MCAT at a much later date if you do not get in this year.

Hey Chinelo, welcome to the official "RN to MD/DO Progress/Support thread :D. Your grades, clinical experience, and extracurricular activities you've vested in puts you as a solid candidate I believe for MD schools in Texas. But the main problem here is your MCAT score. I really do hope you get an invite from one of the Texas schools, but do consider retaking the MCAT at a much later date if you do not get in this year.

Thanks for the advice. That is my Plan B. If I do not get in for Fall 2016, I would reapply next year for Fall 2017, then, I would retake the MCAT in April/May/ June 2016 which is the time I will be graduating with my MPH from UT. But since my common applications have been processed and transmitted to schools, I am gonna go ahead and continue with my ALL secondary applications. Now, this is a life lesson to learn from. Its similar to all the HESI Exits they made us take in Nursing School but at the end of the day NCLEX-RN was so much easier!!!!