RN to MD Progress/Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ain't that the truth.

There comparing MCAT to USMLE success but its correlation not causation. I failed my HESI EXIT 2X, still graduated with my BSN Degree and passed NCLEX-RN the first time.

Members don't see this ad.

Its all about correlation with MCAT and USMLE. Just like HESIs and NCLEX-RN but their only correlations and not causations. I failed my HESI Exit 2x and ended up passing the NCLEX-RN my first time. Just because ur MCAT Score is so low, that does not mean you wont get admission from what I have heard from my family friends but I will try my best to reapply nx year and get a higher score from what you guys said.

Its all about correlation with MCAT and USMLE. Just like HESIs and NCLEX-RN but their only correlations and not causations. I failed my HESI Exit 2x and ended up passing the NCLEX-RN my first time. Just because ur MCAT Score is so low, that does not mean you wont get admission from what I have heard from my family friends but I will try my best to reapply nx year and get a higher score from what you guys said.
Chinleo,

I'm a RN in with an ADN, and starting my BSN in January at UT-HSC, but want to eventually do medical school instead of NP. I'd prefer to spend the money obtaining a master's degree while finishing gen chem/org chem/physics at CC over obtaining pre-reqs or doing a post-bacc at a university with no master's to show in the end. I'm curious where you took the science courses not required for nursing school?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
MD Programs are so hard to gain admission to because of the MCAT. But when you get in as an RN, it is much easier in the program than Nursing School because we have been thru a professional program before. On the other hand, it was much easier to gain admission to Nursing School but much harder to stay in and keep up with the program.

Chinleo,

I'm a RN in with an ADN, and starting my BSN in January at UT-HSC, but want to eventually do medical school instead of NP. I'd prefer to spend the money obtaining a master's degree while finishing gen chem/org chem/physics at CC over obtaining pre-reqs or doing a post-bacc at a university with no master's to show in the end. I'm curious where you took the science courses not required for nursing school?

I took all my science prereqs at HCC. It is cheaper, the classes are smaller and you are more able to comprehend what your professor is saying. The only science class that I did not take at HCCS was Biochem. I took Biochem at U OF H and it was hell. Over 115 students in my class and over half the students failed the class. I came out with a B but it was a tough course. I recommend taking your prereqs at a Community College. Right now, I am working 2 jobs and getting my MPH at UTHSC.

How does this sound for my goals

Spring 16

Bio 101
Chem 111

Summer 16

Physics 201

Fall 16

Bio 102
Chem 112

Spring 17

Org chem 1

Summer 17

Physics 202

Fall 17

Org Chem 2
BioChemistry

Spring 18

Study MCAT and apply for Fall 18 med admission

If you want to become a physician, I would definitely go for it. I am a Registered Nurse by profession. Here is a little about me.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Chinelo and I am applying for the Fall 2016 Cycle to 23 MD Programs ONLY- 9 in Texas and 14 outside of Texas. I am a Registered Nurse by profession and a graduate of Texas Woman's University- College of Nursing in Houston, Texas with Bachelor of Science in Nursing in May 2014 ( 3.48 cumulative GPA). I currently work for 2 home health agencies part-time. On top of that, I am attending graduate school full-time at UT School of Public Health in Houston since August 2014. I am getting my Masters in Public Health in Community Health Practice. My Graduate GPA is a 3.68 as of the Spring 2015 semester. During the Spring, I worked 6-7 weeks with the City of Houston Department of Health & Human Services on their STRYVE Project, a CDC National initiative striving to reduce youth violence. This summer I have spent 3 months working with Texas Children's Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine doing Public Health Research about Food Allergies in Schools via an Online Educational Tool. Since August 2014, I have been self-studying for the MCAT on and off. I did not start doing practice tests fully until May 2015. On my practice tests, I was scoring between 122-125 on each section and was aiming to score at least a 500 on the new MCAT. I took the MCAT on July 18th, 2015 and got my scores yesterday only scoring a 491 which was in the 23% percentile compared to those who took the exam in April and May of this year. I have opted not to retake and just continue with my application process. My common applications have been submitted and processed with all my transcripts, scores and letters and now I am completing 20 secondary applications. 5 of the 20 secondary applications I have submitted. What do you guys think of my situation? The last day to retake for the current year is September 23, 2015 and I do not want to delay my application. I don't like my score but I am just crossing my fingers and praying to God that my academic background and experiences help me get admitted into medical school.

It sounds like you have been a very active professional and in your community, this will be very good for your application. However, unfortunately, your MCAT is an app-killer. If your score was in 55 percentile plus, you would be competitive DO schools. I would recommend a re-take. I don't think you will have time to study and get scores for this cycle. I recommend taking time off from classes, and if possible limiting your work schedule. A solid 3+ months of full time studying are needed to ace the MCAT. There are a lot of resources out there. Personally, I liked Khan and Exam Krackers. Also, what was the score breakdown of your MCAT?

Are you URM? It won't help a score in the 23 percentile, however you can expect to have more leniency with an otherwise good application.

I am sorry if this sound harsh, I know the hell that the MCAT is.

How does this sound for my goals

Spring 16

Bio 101
Chem 111

Summer 16

Physics 201

Fall 16

Bio 102
Chem 112

Spring 17

Org chem 1

Summer 17

Physics 202

Fall 17

Org Chem 2
BioChemistry

Spring 18

Study MCAT and apply for Fall 18 med admission

Are the Physics courses over the whole summer? I would recommend taking them back to back if you can, so you are in the proper mind-set before taking Physics II.

Taking Biochem before the MCAT is a great idea, it is heavily emphasized on the new exam.

Are you taking these at a University or CC? If a CC be sure you are taking some upper level classes at a University.

I am a year into my nursing career. ICU RN at an academic center that is in the top 10 of the nation. I just registered for classes at a CC for Chem 1 and precalculus... awaiting acceptance to a formal post-bacc premed program. I also just got on with a research project with a few physicians on my unit. I've been discouraged by some interns/ residents when I tell them I'm going to med school. I'm very interested in the conversation amongst fellow RN/ MD hopefuls!

I am a year into my nursing career. ICU RN at an academic center that is in the top 10 of the nation. I just registered for classes at a CC for Chem 1 and precalculus... awaiting acceptance to a formal post-bacc premed program. I also just got on with a research project with a few physicians on my unit. I've been discouraged by some interns/ residents when I tell them I'm going to med school. I'm very interested in the conversation amongst fellow RN/ MD hopefuls!

Hey welcome aboard. Any reasons as to why the interns/residents are discouraging from pursuing medicine?

Hey welcome aboard. Any reasons as to why the interns/residents are discouraging from pursuing medicine?

Thank you!
I would say 85% of the people I talk to (interns and residents, nurses, others) immediately say "why not NP/PA?". I give them my reasons, but I think their attitude may be due to them being under stress and making judgment based off of their current situation as a resident in a tough internal med program. I spoke with a pulm/CC fellow last night about whether he felt it was worth the long haul and he said yes, that he would do it again if he had to. I guess I shouldn't get discouraged by what some say, they may not understand my motivation for MD vs NP/PA and I think you'll find people who are unhappy with their career choice no matter what career that is.

Thank you!
I would say 85% of the people I talk to (interns and residents, nurses, others) immediately say "why not NP/PA?". I give them my reasons, but I think their attitude may be due to them being under stress and making judgment based off of their current situation as a resident in a tough internal med program. I spoke with a pulm/CC fellow last night about whether he felt it was worth the long haul and he said yes, that he would do it again if he had to. I guess I shouldn't get discouraged by what some say, they may not understand my motivation for MD vs NP/PA and I think you'll find people who are unhappy with their career choice no matter what career that is.

That's so true. I talked to a GI physician who has his own practice and he said he loves it and would do it again. I asked a resident at our hospital and they basically gave me the 'hell no' face. But I also think it depends on where you're at in your medical career. I remember when I was a student nurse and hospitals would use us as free labor and I hated it. But now that I'm on my own I like it way better.

That's so true. I talked to a GI physician who has his own practice and he said he loves it and would do it again. I asked a resident at our hospital and they basically gave me the 'hell no' face. But I also think it depends on where you're at in your medical career. I remember when I was a student nurse and hospitals would use us as free labor and I hated it. But now that I'm on my own I like it way better.
Agreed. That's been part of my struggle to go this direction, hearing people tell me not to do it. But I've finally decided to do it for myself and not base my career choices off what people say, because I think the lifestyle you have is totally up to you. Sure, school will be tough, residency will be very tough. My boyfriend is a second year resident and he encourages me to do it, and I even get to see how busy he is and how the good rotations vs tough ones affect his personal life. I think he's happy where he is.

Thank you!

"Why not NP?" is a perfectly legit question, and not intrinsically a negative one. I remember struggling with it and I'm glad I took the time to seriously consider all options. I think it made for a more cohesive personal statement, and I fully expect to be asked some version of "Why medicine? Why not X?" in interviews this fall.

Glad you're not feeling discouraged. I encourage you to keep track of your own thinking about "Why?" in a word document somewhere, even your doubts. I wish I'd done that early on, and been able to see on paper my mental progress from then til now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ain't that the truth.

Well, some don't want to hear it, but seriously, the NCEX used be more challenging--in the days where it wasn't computerized and not P/F.
HESI is not big deal. I taught prep for that. CCRN, you have to know A LOT more, and knowing the test question approach doesn't necessarily help you all that much. Of course none of this compares to the sheer volume of stuff required for licensure and boarding in medicine.

MD Programs are so hard to gain admission to because of the MCAT. But when you get in as an RN, it is much easier in the program than Nursing School because we have been thru a professional program before. On the other hand, it was much easier to gain admission to Nursing School but much harder to stay in and keep up with the program.

The volumes, I mean there is more depth, but there is also so much more VOLUME in medical school. I know a number of experienced nurses and NPs that have gone into medicine, and ALL of them say that both depth and volume is beyond challenging as compared with nursing or NP school.

Well, some don't want to hear it, but seriously, the NCEX used be more challenging--in the days where it wasn't computerized and not P/F.
HESI is not big deal. I taught prep for that. CCRN, you have to know A LOT more, and knowing the test question approach doesn't necessarily help you all that much. Of course none of this compares to the sheer volume of stuff required for licensure and boarding in medicine.

I was only agreeing with the original poster about how the HESI felt versus the NCLEX a few years ago. Separate issue from the CCRN and medical boards; there's no need to be defensive.

Thank you!

I also work at an academic hospital, I too get a lot of mixed opinions as to whether going the medicinal route was a good decision made by some, but mostly first/second year residents. My opinions on this matter, is that not many people who decided to pursue medicine, had a full awareness as to how physically and mentally taxing medical school ----> residency ----> working as a full fledge physician may be. These are the guys whom I believe do not carry enough experience to fully understand how draining it can be working in a healthcare setting. I've seen a lot of first/second year guys go in "total freak-out mode" in an event of a situation, but when their third/fourth year, they've learned to adjust to their setting and do exceptionally well as residents. Stress is the key factor in breaking many people, but I believe once you've learn to minimize your stress level, you will last as long as your body can handle in this field.

I was only agreeing with the original poster about how the HESI felt versus the NCLEX a few years ago. Separate issue from the CCRN and medical boards; there's no need to be defensive.

Hahaha, sorry, that was not my intention. I was just stating--no emotion involved. It was a dispassionate statement Ecc. :)

And people say we shouldn't need to use emojis. :)

And people say we shouldn't need to use emojis. :)

Personally I think we should be able to chart solely using emojis.

My charting would be so much more accurate if I could just do this: :welcome::)o_O:confused::eyebrow::eek::wtf::bang::boom::cool:

Reactions: 2 users
Personally I think we should be able to chart solely using emojis.

My charting would be so much more accurate if I could just do this: :welcome::)o_O:confused::eyebrow::eek::wtf::bang::boom::cool:

In some peds places, we use the Wong-Baker FACES scale.

For some adult patients though, :asshat: this might be a good way to document. JK. But ey, you know what I mean. ;)

I love this!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It sounds like you have been a very active professional and in your community, this will be very good for your application. However, unfortunately, your MCAT is an app-killer. If your score was in 55 percentile plus, you would be competitive DO schools. I would recommend a re-take. I don't think you will have time to study and get scores for this cycle. I recommend taking time off from classes, and if possible limiting your work schedule. A solid 3+ months of full time studying are needed to ace the MCAT. There are a lot of resources out there. Personally, I liked Khan and Exam Krackers. Also, what was the score breakdown of your MCAT?

Are you URM? It won't help a score in the 23 percentile, however you can expect to have more leniency with an otherwise good application.

I am sorry if this sound harsh, I know the hell that the MCAT is.

Are the Physics courses over the whole summer? I would recommend taking them back to back if you can, so you are in the proper mind-set before taking Physics II.

Taking Biochem before the MCAT is a great idea, it is heavily emphasized on the new exam.

Are you taking these at a University or CC? If a CC be sure you are taking some upper level classes at a University.
Thank you for your opinions. I was going to take them at a university.

So I'm struggling with where I want to take classes after I'm done with gen chem 2 and precalc/trig. I'm strongly considering continuing at the community college because it'll be so much cheaper ($879 vs. $1689) and I can keep my full time status and health insurance. But I've heard that taking them at the university is best. Anybody have any opinions on this?

So I'm struggling with where I want to take classes after I'm done with gen chem 2 and precalc/trig. I'm strongly considering continuing at the community college because it'll be so much cheaper ($879 vs. $1689) and I can keep my full time status and health insurance. But I've heard that taking them at the university is best. Anybody have any opinions on this?

I honestly believe there shouldn't be any harm taking your pre-requisites at a local community college, especially if you're a nontrad. Most people suggest university level coursework as it is a safe bet to ensure you are receiving the best education as a candidate. If you browse through the forum, you'd come across those who've been accepted going way. Where you are taking your classes is just one part of the whole equation these admission folks use to determine if you qualify for an interview.

Check out the MSAR. Where MD schools are concerned, it will tell you which ones do and do not accept community college credit and online credit. DO schools can be investigated through their websites. If you look around and find that 7 out of the 10 schools you really love won't take your comm college credit down the road, then you have things to think about now.

In general it's best to take them at a 4-year. Especially science pre-reqs. One or two classes at a CC shouldn't hurt (again, reference MSAR), but I strongly recommend the rest at a 4-year if you can make it work.

Hi! I'm also an RN going MD. I want to do the post bacc route. I have everything together ready to be submitted except the essay. It's why do you want to attend this school. Why do you want to be a doctor etc. I've been sitting here like *blink* *blink* Blank stares. I know why I want to change careers. But I dont know how to say it. Most people write some sappy story about how their grandpa died when they were young and they were moved by it. So they became determined to become a doctor. But I'm just not that kind of person. I don't have that kind of story. I have some serious writers block! Has anyone else had this problem?

I know there are hundreds of threads on this but when would ya'll recommend acquiring LORs if I'm looking at applying the summer after next? This stuff seems to get muddled for me when it's nontrad info and I know you want current letters i.e. not written too early. I have two people that said they will for sure write strong LORs (one science and one work). I'm hoping my organic chem professor will write one as well and he's basically the only one I haven't asked yet. I just finished up his class this summer. Should I ask if he'd be interested now or wait till I'm ready for the letter itself?

Hi! I'm also an RN going MD. I want to do the post bacc route. I have everything together ready to be submitted except the essay. It's why do you want to attend this school. Why do you want to be a doctor etc. I've been sitting here like *blink* *blink* Blank stares. I know why I want to change careers. But I dont know how to say it. Most people write some sappy story about how their grandpa died when they were young and they were moved by it. So they became determined to become a doctor. But I'm just not that kind of person. I don't have that kind of story. I have some serious writers block! Has anyone else had this problem?

Even someone who says grandpa died and they were moved isn't providing a reason -- just an event.

You're a nurse, so you're around sick and dying people all the time (I presume). You already care for them in a certain way, as do the social workers, RTs, PTs, etc. So what makes you want to be a doctor, as opposed to what you do for them now? You've observed the doctor-patient relationship. How is it different from what you do? Why do you desire that? What things do you feel you can't do for patients now, that you'd be able to as a doctor?

Just some questions to think about to get you started. Take a little bit and just jot down short phrases that come to you when you ask yourself 'why'? Then start building on them.

So I talked to my job today and they won't let me go to part time :(. So either I have to quit and find a part time position somewhere else or figure out how to stay full time nights and still manage to get A's with tutoring and studying. Any advice?

So I talked to my job today and they won't let me go to part time :(. So either I have to quit and find a part time position somewhere else or figure out how to stay full time nights and still manage to get A's with tutoring and studying. Any advice?

Go with the flow. One door closes another one opens, so cliche, but I believe in serendipity. Can you switch units? They don't seem flexible at all. It shouldn't be hard finding a job if you have decent interview skills. I just started my 3rd hospital job in 3 years due to scheduling, but I might just switch back to the 2nd place since management was so good and it was easy. I left each place amiably.

Put your schooling first. Don't end up having work conflicts and extend your cycle as long as I did. If you can afford it, get school and MCAT out of the way and remember how long in your lifetime you'll be a nurse vs a physician.

If any of you end up applying to UNECOM, shoot me a PM. As an RT that's a med student, I'm a big supporter of other clinicians that enter med school and will totally give you the lowdown and try to help you in any way with your app. Also, if you've got any general questions in regard to applying to DO/MD school or whatever, just let me know.

Reactions: 4 users
It won't be a big deal for DO. But for some MD, it might.

Go with the flow. One door closes another one opens, so cliche, but I believe in serendipity. Can you switch units? They don't seem flexible at all. It shouldn't be hard finding a job if you have decent interview skills. I just started my 3rd hospital job in 3 years due to scheduling, but I might just switch back to the 2nd place since management was so good and it was easy. I left each place amiably.

Put your schooling first. Don't end up having work conflicts and extend your cycle as long as I did. If you can afford it, get school and MCAT out of the way and remember how long in your lifetime you'll be a nurse vs a physician.

Generally they are flexible, but since we're short staffed they said they can't afford for anyone else to go part time. I'm looking at switching units, but our hospital is having a problem with nurse retention so we're short everywhere. I'm not sure how much better it'll be anywhere else. I might just have to suck it up and find part time work at another hospital.

^Finding that second job was one of the best thing that has happened to me. I had the best support system there and an awesome team. My manager there will write me a super strong recommendation letter. This is a great opportunity to get a day shift position where you'll rub elbows with a lot of attendings who can lead you to better opportunities and give you great advices. Who knows, maybe you'll find a great fit somewhere else!

If any of you end up applying to UNECOM, shoot me a PM. As an RT that's a med student, I'm a big supporter of other clinicians that enter med school and will totally give you the lowdown and try to help you in any way with your app. Also, if you've got any general questions in regard to applying to DO/MD school or whatever, just let me know.

Noted! I'm taking a bio class through UNE. I'm hoping to do well in that and the following bio 2 class I will sign up for.

Hey all! Really interested in this post to meet fellow RNs going for MD. Here's a little about me.

22 years old with BSN, just got a job two months ago working full time nights at a behavioral health hospital on the adolescent unit. Before this worked for 4 months on a Med-surg/oncology unit. Went from high school straight to college and nursing school with a GPA of 3.7. After about 6 months of working as a nurse I knew that I wanted to pursue medical school. Being that I don't have hardly any of the prerequisite classes done, I'm taking only one this semester BIO 197 (diversity of life) with lab. I plan on taking MCAT in Spring 2018 and applying for fall 2019 cycle if my timing is correct.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I am also worried about getting research and things in and by working night shift I'm worried I don't get a chance to mingle with the docs as much. Also already foaming at the mouth at the thought of writing personal statement and the dreaded "why the switch to med school now?" Looking forward to lots of great feedback on this thread!

Last edited:
Tough times for me gals/girls. I had to amiably quit my new to me ICU job due to fit. I felt I made some powerful enemies at the start who did not want me there. I basically felt berated during my meeting, just not a good work environment in general. I thought a huge teaching hospital would be different, but there are way more politics/bureaucracy.

Good news, back to my sweet sweet tele unit with the most wonderful staff/manager and more time for MCAT studying now. I felt almost wasting these last 3 months in my internship when I could have been studying and taking the september MCAT : /.

Hey all! Really interested in this post to meet fellow RNs going for MD. Here's a little about me.

22 years old with BSN, just got a job two months ago working full time nights at a behavioral health hospital on the adolescent unit. Before this worked for 4 months on a Med-surg/oncology unit. Went from high school straight to college and nursing school with a GPA of 3.7. After about 6 months of working as a nurse I knew that I wanted to pursue medical school. Being that I don't have hardly any of the prerequisite classes done, I'm taking only one this semester BIO 197 (diversity of life) with lab. I plan on taking MCAT in Spring 2018 and applying for fall 2019 cycle if my timing is correct.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I am also worried about getting research and things in and by working night shift I'm worried I don't get a chance to mingle with the docs as much. Also already foaming at the mouth at the thought of writing personal statement and the dreaded "why the switch to med school now?" Looking forward to lots of great feedback on this thread!

Mingling with the docs was a great motivator for me and they always gave me good advice and support. Night shifts will be tough on the body/mind when you start to take on more course load. Research is not necessary, but it is an extra. I personally wouldn't worry much about research unless you want to actually do research. 1-2 years of research with no publications is not as fruitful as rounding out the rest of your application like rocking your pre-reqs, MCAT, and extracurrics.

Tough times for me gals/girls. I had to amiably quit my new to me ICU job due to fit. I felt I made some powerful enemies at the start who did not want me there. I basically felt berated during my meeting, just not a good work environment in general. I thought a huge teaching hospital would be different, but there are way more politics/bureaucracy.

Good news, back to my sweet sweet tele unit with the most wonderful staff/manager and more time for MCAT studying now. I felt almost wasting these last 3 months in my internship when I could have been studying and taking the september MCAT : /.

Sorry to hear about the job not working out! It sucks when you have people who are bitter for no reason. I work at a huge teaching hospital too and the only reason I haven't left yet is because I have a contract with them. Glad to hear you're beack with a unit that actually appreciates you! Study for that MCAT and rock it out!

Really happy about this thread...

I'm a 24 year old nurse who has worked in the Cardiac ICU of an academic hospital for a year now. I work nights. I'm currently taking Gen Chem 1. I'm hoping to start shadowing a neighboring cardiology group/volunteering at a free clinic later in the fall after I take CCRN (trying to gain credential for a PRN job hunt when I move next summer). I'm getting married next summer and I'm blessed that my partner has a stable job and is on board with my plans. I'd love some feedback on my class plans:

Fall 15- Gen Chem 1
Spring 16- Gen Chem 2
Summer 16- move to another state, leave job, get married, take 6 week OChem 1
Fall 16- (hopefully find a new per diem gig) OChem2, Bio 1, Physics 1
Spring 17- Biochem, Bio 2, Physics 2, study for MCAT

When will I have to take the MCAT by to have my result and apply for the Fall 2018 cycle?
I'm worried about studying for it while still taking three of my prereqs.

Also, I enjoy the ICU, though it is quite stressful. I'm weighing pros and cons of trying to stay in an ICU PRN when I'm back in school full time next year, or trying to find something else. I like the critical thinking the ICU provides, but I also think a different type of exposure to medicine could be valuable. Thoughts?

Really happy about this thread...

I'm a 24 year old nurse who has worked in the Cardiac ICU of an academic hospital for a year now. I work nights. I'm currently taking Gen Chem 1. I'm hoping to start shadowing a neighboring cardiology group/volunteering at a free clinic later in the fall after I take CCRN (trying to gain credential for a PRN job hunt when I move next summer). I'm getting married next summer and I'm blessed that my partner has a stable job and is on board with my plans. I'd love some feedback on my class plans:

Fall 15- Gen Chem 1
Spring 16- Gen Chem 2
Summer 16- move to another state, leave job, get married, take 6 week OChem 1
Fall 16- (hopefully find a new per diem gig) OChem2, Bio 1, Physics 1
Spring 17- Biochem, Bio 2, Physics 2, study for MCAT

When will I have to take the MCAT by to have my result and apply for the Fall 2018 cycle?
I'm worried about studying for it while still taking three of my prereqs.

Also, I enjoy the ICU, though it is quite stressful. I'm weighing pros and cons of trying to stay in an ICU PRN when I'm back in school full time next year, or trying to find something else. I like the critical thinking the ICU provides, but I also think a different type of exposure to medicine could be valuable. Thoughts?

You can probably go with bio 1 and gen chem 1 for your fall semester, won't be that hard of a load at all. Use ratemyprofessor to check things out at your institution. If you get a job in a hospital system that does prn work, you can float to ICU or medsurg/tele floors so you can enjoy both. It might be hard getting into a medsurg mindset going from 2 patients (I know the acuity is greater) to 6 patients.

You can probably go with bio 1 and gen chem 1 for your fall semester, won't be that hard of a load at all. Use ratemyprofessor to check things out at your institution. If you get a job in a hospital system that does prn work, you can float to ICU or medsurg/tele floors so you can enjoy both. It might be hard getting into a medsurg mindset going from 2 patients (I know the acuity is greater) to 6 patients.

I'm doing Chem 1A and BIO 1 at the moment while working full time NOC. It can be quite a challenge, but so far I'm doing okay.

This would be great but the add drop date at the university I'm attending is already past. Were two and a half weeks in.

Of that last semester, biochem, bio 2, and physics 2, which would be best to manage to finish before that semester? I'm assuming biochem but it's part of the Chen sequence I'm already doing during the summer

This would be great but the add drop date at the university I'm attending is already past. Were two and a half weeks in.

Of that last semester, biochem, bio 2, and physics 2, which would be best to manage to finish before that semester? I'm assuming biochem but it's part of the Chen sequence I'm already doing during the summer

Biochem is tested most on the new MCAT and also the most intensive class you'll have unless you struggle a bit with math, in which case physics will be a drag. You don't necessarily need great ochem knowledge to ace biochem, just really basic ochem1 stuff and good memory. I couldn't recall one ochem mechanism and aced biochem, which was mostly basic concepts and a ton of memorizing. I did have good sound concepts of ochem though.

You'll have your finals in May, right around application season, so you either gamble on a May MCAT and hoping you kill it, apply in June (not late, but not early either), and go from there. Alternatively, if you take the MCAT in April, you risk messing up your gpa for that last semester. It's going to be tough fitting in the MCAT for you and I have no solutions for you besides go with the flow, maybe even apply a year later. See it as a gap year to enjoy life a bit and less pressure on the mcat.

So I keep redoing my schedule for classes and I'd like to know what you guys think:

Fall 15 (taking this now)
-Chem 2 w/lab
-Precalc Algebra/Trig

Spring 16
-OChem1 w/lab
-Physics 1 w/lab

Summer 16
-OChem2 w/lab
-Physics 2 w/lab

Fall 16
-Biochem
-Bio 2

Spring 17
-study/take mcat and maybe take extra classes/volunteer

Summer 17-APPLY!

So do you guys think that's a good place for Bio 2 to go? It wasn't a requirement for my BSN and I didn't think to take it with chem 1 last semester so I'm not sure where exactly to put it. Does that sound like a good timeline?

So I keep redoing my schedule for classes and I'd like to know what you guys think:

Fall 15 (taking this now)
-Chem 2 w/lab
-Precalc Algebra/Trig

Spring 16
-OChem1 w/lab
-Physics 1 w/lab

Summer 16
-OChem2 w/lab
-Physics 2 w/lab

Fall 16
-Biochem
-Bio 2

Spring 17
-study/take mcat and maybe take extra classes/volunteer

Summer 17-APPLY!

So do you guys think that's a good place for Bio 2 to go? It wasn't a requirement for my BSN and I didn't think to take it with chem 1 last semester so I'm not sure where exactly to put it. Does that sound like a good timeline?

I like it, but man Ochem 2 and physics 2 for summer will be a killer. Have you consider moving biochemistry to spring '17 and taking Ochem 2 or physics 2 in Fall 16?

I like it, but man Ochem 2 and physics 2 for summer will be a killer. Have you consider moving biochemistry to spring '17 and taking Ochem 2 or physics 2 in Fall 16?

So maybe do bio2 summer of 16 and wait to do ochem2/physics2 in the fall? Do you think that gap in the summer will be a big deal instead of taking them back to back? And is it plausible to study for mcat and take biochem at the same time?

Hey, guys! I am so excited to see they started a thread for those transitioning from nursing to MD!

I am a pre-nursing student who hasn't had started their clinicals and I am taking advantage of the free time I have before I start. My GPA is a 3.6 and hoping to aim for a higher GPA but focusing more school! However, I am concerned with my extracurricular activities, research, internships and shadowing aspect of the medical school application.

I started shadowing a trauma surgeon today and was wondering if this was a good start? Should I find someone else to shadow? If so, how many hours would you need to show you are truly invested.

Volunteering-wise, I have had experience dancing and teaching in various places in the USA, danced for 7 years and given a community commitment in a church and homeless shelter. However, I need something more on the medical aspect and I am in the process of volunteering on the floors of PACU and Neurology with helping nurses. Would this be a valuable opportunity? Again, if so, how many hours would you need to truly show if you are truly invested.

I was wondering if research or internships were absolutely necessary for medical school. I want to get into a top tier medical school and I would assume it would be needed. If you don't have it, would it ruin your chances?

I am debating on doing a summer research/internship but I would be finishing my BSN two semesters later due the next start of their next open cycle.

Last edited:
So maybe do bio2 summer of 16 and wait to do ochem2/physics2 in the fall? Do you think that gap in the summer will be a big deal instead of taking them back to back? And is it plausible to study for mcat and take biochem at the same time?

If you've done well in the previous courses, you can certainly take ochem2 and physics2 together during summer. If you struggled with ochem1, then consider backing off and take that summer bio2. Maybe even take ochem2+bio2 summer, then biochem and physics 2 together in the fall? It's hard to plan it out because for some people ochem or physics is just going to click and you'll cruise.

I wouldn't want to take any courses before my MCAT/Application. You have little things you haven't planned for like a late recommendation letter, that last few hours of shadowing to round out your application, your personal statement needed revising, and just other small things.