RNA and the genetic code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladysmanfelpz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is from Kaplan materials concept check 7.1 in biochem. Question #2 states the three base sequences listed below are DNA sequences. Which amino acid is encoded by each of these sequences, after transcription and translation?

GAT:

Now I feel like I've confused myself after reviewing the chapter. I used to just take the DNA sequence (usually listed 5' to 3') and reverse it with U where T should be. Now after review one thing stuck in my mind. mRNA is identical to coding strand of DNA with U for T. No directionality is listed with this sequence nor if it is the coding or template strand.

The answer is mRNA codon = AUC; isoleucine.

So then this sequence was based off the template strand which forms the mRNA sequence which by the genetic code codes for ile? This simple question has me rethinking all central dogma type questions. Please help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

The strand is read from 3->5 and translated 5->3. Do you mind sharing your specific issues with this topic ?

The directionality and what constitutes codon and anticodon.

Like I said after review I understood what you said and also that mRNA is the same as coding DNA. I also understood that mRNA is the codon. I got confused if I was looking for anticodon for translation and directionality of the original (still not sure coding or template) and think I flipped around the sequence twice.

I think I was just overthinking it at the time.