Robbin Path Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought this was a hard question. Can anyone help me out? Let me first hear your thoughts before I disclose the answer.

A 39 yr old woman sees her physician because of acute onset of severe dyspnea. On physical examination, she is afebrile and has marked laryngeal stridor and severe airway obstruction. The medical history indicates that she has had similar episodes since childhood and episodes of colicky gastrointestinal pain. Her mother and her brother are similarly affected. There is no history of severe or recurrent infections. She does not have urticaria. Laboratory studies show normal WBC count, hematocrit, and platelet count. A deficiency in which of the following plasma components is most likely to produce these findings?

A. B2-microglobulin
B. C1 inhibitor
C. C3
D. 5-Hydroxytryptamine
E. IgA
F. IgE

Members don't see this ad.

B. Hereditary angioedema from C1 esterase inhibitor deficiency.
yes, B is the answer. I was looking for some evidence of periorbital edema or some kinds of edema, so is the dyspnea suggesting that she has edema in the lung?

" laryngeal stridor and severe airway obstruction" is suggesting the edema in the lung too?

yes, B is the answer. I was looking for some evidence of periorbital edema or some kinds of edema, so is the dyspnea suggesting that she has edema in the lung?

" laryngeal stridor and severe airway obstruction" is suggesting the edema in the lung too?
Tbh I just interpreted the dyspnea to be secondary to her airway swelling and obstruction.

Reactions: 1 user