robbin's pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

albus.911

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm learning Robbin's Pathology for the first time. Anyone, tips&tricks, what should i focus on, -morphology of a disease or -process.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's been said yet ....

PATHOMA

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with above posters. Used it 2 years ago when it first came out. Wonder if my first edition book will be worth any money down the line.

I occasionally read the morphology boxes (orange.. maybe blue) in Robbins during M2 when I felt the disease wasn't covered well in Pathoma/Goljan. Typically they're really short (a couple of paragraphs) and are worthwhile. The images in Robbins are gold too.

Pathoma was all that was needed for both my path course and for step 1. I occasionally would read baby Robbins for certain topics I wanted more detail about (I think I read the chapter on pneumoconioses, etc.) and it was good but probably unnecessary. Big Robbins was strictly a reference for presentations I was doing.

1. Pathoma
2. Lecture
3. Robbins
4. Pathoma again
5. Robbins question book

Takes time but its worth it if you're going for high grades.

Reactions: 2 users
how does one know when to use pathoma or robbins? It sounds like you guys selectively read only certain portions of each.

1. Pathoma
2. Lecture
3. Robbins
4. Pathoma again
5. Robbins question book

This is the exact same order I've been doing and it's worked fantastically so far. I always hear people complaining about how long it takes to read Robbins, but the sections really aren't that long. We're about halfway through musculoskeletal now, and I've just been reading each respective section in Robbins as we get to it in lecture (e.g. osteomyelitis, RA, gout, etc.). Each of the sections are like 4-5 paragraphs and it really doesn't take that long to read. Maybe the sections get longer once we get to cardiovascular??

Edit: I'll also add that I look usually look through FA right before/nearing the exam. It pretty much contains everything that's in Pathoma, but I like the format of Pathoma much better.

Last edited:
I'm learning Robbin's Pathology for the first time. Anyone, tips&tricks, what should i focus on, -morphology of a disease or -process.

If your school is like mine and you get tested on minutiae from Robbins that isn't in Pathoma or Goljian, then I'd focus on Morphology, clinical presentation, and unique demographics (i.e. this is a cancer which typically affects Asian children from 1-5 years old). Other than I only focus on things which are unique or characteristic to the disease. He will literally say "characteristic features of ___ are ___, ___, and ____". My approach on what to know:

1. Demographics effected
2. Morphology
3. Clinical presentation
4. Anything unique to the disease

5. Use the Questions book to review (this is gold for anyone with a curriculum firmly based off big Robbins)

how does one know when to use pathoma or robbins? It sounds like you guys selectively read only certain portions of each.

You'll figure out how your professors test pretty quickly. For boards, Pathoma is essential for high yield and basic understanding. Robbins is waaaaaay too in depth as a boards review, but some schools go into way more depth than the boards during path. Baby Robbins and the question book are far better for reviewing if you're going to use any Robbins for boards studying.

5. Use the Questions book to review (this is gold for anyone with a curriculum firmly based off big Robbins)

We actually had 3 questions on our last exam that were literally word for word questions out of the Robinns question booklet. That book is gold.

You'll figure out how your professors test pretty quickly. For boards, Pathoma is essential for high yield and basic understanding. Robbins is waaaaaay too in depth as a boards review, but some schools go into way more depth than the boards during path. Baby Robbins and the question book are far better for reviewing if you're going to use any Robbins for boards studying.
im pretty ignorant on this subject, but why would one use baby robbins question book for reviewing for boards when there are qbanks specific for boards? Is it for when you are very week on a subject?

My curriculum is based off of Robins, I would recommend using Goljan if you don't want to read Basic Pathology. Goljan is basically a summary of Robbins with extra clinical correlates and high yield notes added in. Also there is a good bit of review in there from other subjects. Since the same company which owns the rights to Robbins makes Rapid Review, all of the pictures are the same between Goljan and Robbins which is a plus. Goljan has all of the details that are tested at my school, but YMMV.

If your school is like mine and you get tested on minutiae from Robbins that isn't in Pathoma or Goljian, then I'd focus on Morphology, clinical presentation, and unique demographics (i.e. this is a cancer which typically affects Asian children from 1-5 years old). Other than I only focus on things which are unique or characteristic to the disease. He will literally say "characteristic features of ___ are ___, ___, and ____". My approach on what to know:

1. Demographics effected
2. Morphology
3. Clinical presentation
4. Anything unique to the disease

Actually this one makes sense, thanks a lot. My native language is albanian so it takes time to translate Robbins. And somehow the education program is a type of USSR system , with no practice at all.

im pretty ignorant on this subject, but why would one use baby robbins question book for reviewing for boards when there are qbanks specific for boards? Is it for when you are very week on a subject?
You probably wouldn't when reviewing for boards. I think the poster was saying that, depending on your curriculum, it can be helpful to answer those questions in preparation for your exams (as most professors teach directly out of Robbins).

1. Pathoma
2. Lecture
3. Robbins
4. Pathoma again
5. Robbins question book

I'm in PBL so things are a little different (no lecture), but this is essentially what I do as well. Pathoma sets the stage for reading for me.

If you're struggling to get through Big Robbins, Baby Robbins can help. Plus it's tiny and you can take it everywhere. I hear good things about Basic Robbins but haven't used it yet.