Robbins Review of Pathology (2004) and Goljan Notes - Official Errata Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chandler742

Removed
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am initiating this thread because of errors in Robbin's Question Book and Goljan Notes. If anyone else finds errors from these two books post them here to help out other students on SDN.

1. Goljan claims in his rapid review book page 239, "Creatinine is not reabsorbed or secreted". Correct Answer: Creatinine is secreted. He is confusing Creatinine and Inulin.

2. Robbins Review page 17, 2004 Edition. Question 6. Klatt is confusing Phospholipase C and Phospholipase A2. Phospholipase A2 catalyzes release of arachidonic acid NOT Phospholipase C.

3. Robbins Review page 97, 2004 Edition. Question 45. Klatt claims HSV2 is responsible for herpetic gingivostomatitis, and HSV1 causes most genital infections. The right answer is reversed. HSV2 is the most common HSV that causes genital infections.

Members don't see this ad.

chandler742 said:
I am initiating this thread because of errors in Robbin's Question Book and Goljan Notes. If anyone else finds errors from these two books post them here to help out other students on SDN.

1. Goljan claims in his rapid review book page 239, "Creatinine is not reabsorbed or secreted". Correct Answer: Creatinine is secreted. He is confusing Creatinine and Inulin.

2. Robbins Review page 17, 2004 Edition. Question 6. Klatt is confusing Phospholipase C and Phospholipase A2. Phospholipase A2 catalyzes release of arachidonic acid NOT Phospholipase C.

3. Robbins Review page 97, 2004 Edition. Question 45. Klatt claims HSV2 is responsible for herpetic gingivostomatitis, and HSV1 causes most genital infections. The right answer is reversed. HSV2 is the most common HSV that causes genital infections.

looks like u know ur path! i'm starting to do the robbins review questions and I think i'm getting like 40% of the questions right...argghh. :mad: u having better luck?

chandler742 said:

good thread. Goljan also makes that statement in his Saunders review book on page 367

And just to add in a point. You are correct, creatinine is secreted, but for all practical purposes, the secretion is minimal, hence why creatine clearance can be used as an excellent approximation of GFR.

Hernandez said:
good thread. Goljan also makes that statement in his Saunders review book on page 367

And just to add in a point. You are correct, creatinine is secreted, but for all practical purposes, the secretion is minimal, hence why creatine clearance can be used as an excellent approximation of GFR.

Only half the story, the reason creatinine is a good approximation is because the plasma Creatinine concentration is OVERESTIMATED. There are nonspecific chromogens that appears as "creatinine". Thus, there is an overestimation of filtration (due to secretion) and an increase in plasms creatine (due to nonspecific chormogens). Mathematically, two overestimations cancel. To say secretion is minimal is FLAT wrong. Ask any nephrologist. Do me a favor and tell Dr. Goljan about this so he won't make the same mistake in future books or lectures.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tedebear said:
Only half the story, the reason creatinine is a good approximation is because the plasma Creatinine concentration is OVERESTIMATED. There are nonspecific chromogens that appears as "creatinine". Thus, there is an overestimation of filtration (due to secretion) and an increase in plasms creatine (due to nonspecific chormogens). Mathematically, two overestimations cancel. To say secretion is minimal is FLAT wrong. Ask any nephrologist. Do me a favor and tell Dr. Goljan about this so he won't make the same mistake in future books or lectures.

now this is interesting, and is also not what my phys books say, do you have any references? I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying this is the first I've ever heard of chormogens. Mine are Goljan (obviously) Costanzo (2nd edition Physiology), and Harrison's. I don't have anything more indepth than that handy.

Hernandez said:
now this is interesting, and is also not what my phys books say, do you have any references? I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying this is the first I've ever heard of chormogens. Mine are Goljan (obviously) Costanzo (2nd edition Physiology), and Harrison's. I don't have anything more indepth than that handy.

Is the Annals of Internal Medicine reliable enough?

http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/131/8/630

Yogi Bear said:
looks like u know ur path! i'm starting to do the robbins review questions and I think i'm getting like 40% of the questions right...argghh. :mad: u having better luck?

Those questions are actually physiology, biochemistry, and microbiology twisted into the meshwork of pathology...even better. Well done!

Pox in a box said:
Those questions are actually physiology, biochemistry, and microbiology twisted into the meshwork of pathology...even better. Well done!

This gal is trying to instigate. Only a sarcastic person would say 40% is any good. :thumbdown: :smuggrin:

Pox in a box said:
I was talking about Chandler742's error discoveries. Why is it every time I post, you post something right after it? Are you obsessed with me? You're not going to get any from me. :laugh: :sleep:

Real Believable. That's why you copied Yogi's post. :laugh: :rolleyes: :laugh:

p53 said:
This gal is trying to instigate. Only a sarcastic person would say 40% is any good. :thumbdown: :smuggrin:

I was talking about Chandler742's error discoveries. Chandler742's posts were copied so I was commending him like the poster I quoted. Why is it every time I post, you post something right after it? Are you obsessed with me? You're not going to get any from me. :laugh: :sleep: