Rocky UG start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitzm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently turned 26 and am restarting my undergrad education after 7 years with the intention of applying to med school (hence why I'm posting here) ;)

I went into an ambitious engineering program immediately after HS when I was 18 and was severely unprepared. The school used a 10-week quarter system which was quite accelerated, combined with my immaturity, lack of solid study habits, etc. resulted in my academic termination from the school.

Since then, I've gone to massage therapy school and have been working as a therapist which was my first real experience in a clinical setting working with patients.

Rutgers University required me to do the last two semesters at CC where I took Chem and Bio along with retaking calculus courses since it had been 8 years. I achieved managing a 4.0 for both semesters.

I will be doing my best to maintain this through the next 2-3 years but is my termination 8(10 by the time I apply) years ago going to be a big red flag? Thank you for any advice you can provide!

Members don't see this ad.

keep up the good work and your previous stint won't be held against you. your grades from back then will need to be reported and will bring down your overall gpa a little bit but if you can maintain the track you're on, you'll get in. you'll also have a good story for personal statement and secondaries

Members don't see this ad :)
Not for my school; many of my students were exactly in the same boat as you. Not all people are meant to go to college at age 18! We recognizze that people do grow and mature.

good luck!

I
I will be doing my best to maintain this through the next 2-3 years but is my termination 8(10 by the time I apply) years ago going to be a big red flag? Thank you for any advice you can provide!

Great question, but I am with these guys. I would keep up the hard work and take advantage of having learned those lessons early on. Don't take for granted that those experiences taught you a degree of maturity not had by students who may have breezed through a less demanding undergraduate experience without studying. Learn from it, and capitalize on it; what a great origin story!