Rocky Vista College of Osteopathic Medicine Utah (RVUCOM-SU) 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mack24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it might be nice to have a thread specifically for the Utah Campus. Please post your opinions, concerns, or excitement about interviewing or matriculating to RVUCOM-SU. Hopefully some discussion between us all about the campus will help us think clearly about the pro's and con's of attending this new facility. PLEASE COMMENT :) :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
They seem to be behind compared to CO.

That is all.

They seem to be behind compared to CO.

That is all.
What do you mean by behind? Like as in stats and years in practice, or in the admissions process? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean by behind? Like as in stats and years in practice, or in the admissions process? lol

As in the admissions process. But what do I know lololol I'm just wanting to hear back!

Reactions: 1 user
I thought it might be nice to have a thread specifically for the Utah Campus. Please post your opinions, concerns, or excitement about interviewing or matriculating to RVUCOM-SU. Hopefully some discussion between us all about the campus will help us think clearly about the pro's and con's of attending this new facility. PLEASE COMMENT :) :) :)
If you're in begger's can't be chooser's mode, go for it. If you have a choice, avoid all new schools! ...Unfortunately, that suggestion makes for a long list in the DO world.

Hello everyone! If you had a choice between RV Utah or Touro Nevada what would you choose and why?

I don't know much about Touro, but what are your concerns with RV Utah?

Thanks for your response! Just all of the unknowns, that the school will barely be finished right before we start our first day, the fact that maybe the faculty might not be familiar with all of their responses. I like of things about the school but just the growing pains are what concern me the most.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any interviews yet?

They started interviewing in the beginning of September. There is a RVU thread that is non specific to either Utah or Colorado campus. Most people have been posting on that. I believe this thread was made later so is not as popular, thats just my guess though.

For those that have checked this campus out already, what's the area there like? What are the locals like? Decent amount of stuff to do around town? Will they have the same clinical rotations as the CO campus?

For those that have checked this campus out already, what's the area there like? What are the locals like? Decent amount of stuff to do around town? Will they have the same clinical rotations as the CO campus?

The area is beautiful with the red rock. Lots of hikes and outdoors stuff. Snow canyon park is close but I have not ever personally gone there. There are a lot of senior communities down there, especially right around campus, because a lot of older people like to get away from the snow and cold winters. So it's a pretty mellow place in Ivins. I haven't spent enough time down there to say what the locals are like though. I know Dixie State which is pretty close is usually considered a party college so there is bound to be some stuff going on. Only about 2 hours from Vegas and close to Zions National Park which is pretty awesome. I think you can do any of the rotations for either campus if they are available. Sounds like they expect people who go to the Utah campus to do rotations near there because that's where a lot of them will be from.

I really enjoyed my experience interviewing here. I think that attending this school will be a unique experience, in that you get to be part of the inaugural class, meaning that clubs, organizations and so on will be started by those of us who are in this class. This also means that we will have a great opportunity to sort of get to have the teachers and administrators to ourselves for a full year, as they won't be teaching second years, just us. Also, because this is a second location of an already well-established medical school I expect to have an excellent education with an updated facility and none or very few of the drawbacks of going to a brand new school. Rocky Vista University has a reputation for using cutting edge technology and producing students that are prepared in every situation. Dean Told, who signs your acceptance letter, said he would come back and haunt us if any of us ever said we couldn't help deliver a baby on a plane because we're "dermatologists" or any other kind of specialty. Which I thought was pretty funny.

I enjoyed interviewing in Colorado as well, and it was very useful to me to see what RVU-UT is trying to achieve. The vision, if you will. The students at RVU-CO were all so happy, they all said it was hard, but they were so cheerful. I am excited to be a part of the first class at RVU-UT, and hope to see a lot of you there as well. Good luck to all of you.

I really enjoyed my experience interviewing here. I think that attending this school will be a unique experience, in that you get to be part of the inaugural class, meaning that clubs, organizations and so on will be started by those of us who are in this class. This also means that we will have a great opportunity to sort of get to have the teachers and administrators to ourselves for a full year, as they won't be teaching second years, just us. Also, because this is a second location of an already well-established medical school I expect to have an excellent education with an updated facility and none or very few of the drawbacks of going to a brand new school. Rocky Vista University has a reputation for using cutting edge technology and producing students that are prepared in every situation. Dean Told, who signs your acceptance letter, said he would come back and haunt us if any of us ever said we couldn't help deliver a baby on a plane because we're "dermatologists" or any other kind of specialty. Which I thought was pretty funny.

I enjoyed interviewing in Colorado as well, and it was very useful to me to see what RVU-UT is trying to achieve. The vision, if you will. The students at RVU-CO were all so happy, they all said it was hard, but they were so cheerful. I am excited to be a part of the first class at RVU-UT, and hope to see a lot of you there as well. Good luck to all of you.

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat and see things very similarly. I also interviewed at both campuses and would still probably choose UT even if I do get accepted to CO. This school was originally on the very bottom of my list, because it was a new school. After my interview and talking with friends who are attending/graduated med school I feel this is a very good fit for me and I feel safe going here now that I know it is fully accredited.

Just curious what people have to say about the CONS of going here. I am holding on to my acceptances at KCU and DMU until I am 100% sure this is my top choice. I have thought of some, but would love to hear from others.

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat and see things very similarly. I also interviewed at both campuses and would still probably choose UT even if I do get accepted to CO. This school was originally on the very bottom of my list, because it was a new school. After my interview and talking with friends who are attending/graduated med school I feel this is a very good fit for me and I feel safe going here now that I know it is fully accredited.

Just curious what people have to say about the CONS of going here. I am holding on to my acceptances at KCU and DMU until I am 100% sure this is my top choice. I have thought of some, but would love to hear from others.

Create a "kcu vs dmu vs rvu" thread and we can help you out :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Will be interviewing here tomorrow flying into vegas rn :)

Update: St george is freaking gorgeous

Interviewed at school and it moved to my number one, even over their CO campus. Loved it.

Update: St george is freaking gorgeous

Agreed. My wife has always said this was her top choice. She loves the red rock and the sun.

Interviewed at school and it moved to my number one, even over their CO campus. Loved it.

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm just curious why you like this one over the CO campus?

Declining my interview here (12/02/16), I hope it goes to someone who is is ready to get their mind blown by RVU!

Accepted to UT campus as of 2 min ago, interviewed the 11/17. Top choice school

@Scrubs101 : Do you mind sharing your stats? Also how long did it take to receive an invite to an interview after your status showed "file complete" on the portal?

3.3/3.4/505, i believe it took a little over 2 months for me to get an II! I was complete 8/12 and got an II around mid to late october. I think my secondary did more for me than my stats did though, i find that both the RVUs are very selective in choosing students that are very interesting in attending their school. So as long as you conveyed that well in your secondary thats definitely a big plus!

Agreed. My wife has always said this was her top choice. She loves the red rock and the sun.

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm just curious why you like this one over the CO campus?

They will have a pool in the student housing they are building right next to the school!!! The building will be brand new with the latest tech, they modified the building a little, took the good parts from the CO campus and left out the bad. St george in my opinion is a much more beautiful place then parker CO. Warmer weather, sand hollow, pine valley, zions, and lots to do. I was scared at first being they are a new school but they will have the exact same curriculum as CO campus, even taught and streamed by the same teachers, 60%from CO and 40% from UT. 3rd and 4th year rotations can be done in either CO or UT, they already have contracts with all the mountainstar hospitals through salt lake and utah county. I feel the students at the UT campus will have the same opportunities as the CO campus, It will be fun to be the first class and set traditions and the culture for the UT campus.

Hello guys! Do you know if this school has strong preference to Utah residents? I am applying from California.

Also, what are the secondary prompts for this school?

Thanks in advance!!

Hello guys! Do you know if this school has strong preference to Utah residents? I am applying from California.

Also, what are the secondary prompts for this school?

Thanks in advance!!

Are you applying this year?

They seem to have a regional preference. Most of the kids interviewing on my day were from Utah, Idaho, Colorado and I think one form Cali. Since this is the first year this campus is open I don't think it is high on a lot of peoples preference list. I think a lot of people will get accepted here and choose another option. I would think your chances would be better this year, rather than after it has been established for a few years.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the advice! Yes I am applying this year, so I think I will give it a shot.

Putting my deposit down tonight. Any Facebook page yet?

Last edited:
It was very hard for me to do this but, I have withdrawn my acceptance from the SU campus. I hope it goes to one of you deserving people!

I just received an II to this campus. I'm pretty excited about it after reading what you guys have said about the area and school.

The dates available are the first week of February and first week of March.

Last edited:
I just received an II to this campus. I'm pretty excited about it after reading what you guys have said about the area and school.

Congrats! If you have any questions and want to PM me just let me know.

II here today, pretty excited! Curious if anyone knows if interviewing earlier is better or do they hold open spots for all interview dates through the season? Choices are next week or early March, early March gives me a lot more flexibility with work/flights but don't want to pass up on potential remaining spots.

Thanks!

II here today, pretty excited! Curious if anyone knows if interviewing earlier is better or do they hold open spots for all interview dates through the season? Choices are next week or early March, early March gives me a lot more flexibility with work/flights but don't want to pass up on potential remaining spots.

Thanks!
Sooner rather than later if at all possible. Class could be full by early March.

I just had my interview yesterday. I had fun and it was just as not-stressful as they said it will be.

Accepted! Interviewed on 2/4. See y'all in Utah!

Accepted to Utah! Is there a Facebook group or anything where accepted students can chat?