Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, do you think I'm a competitive applicant with a 3.3 cum, 3.4 science, and 30R (12PS, 8VR, 10BS) MCAT?

I also have 2 years working as a CNA, about 2 years volunteering, some research experience, and some community service; I also go to a pretty good school (UCLA).

This seems like a nice school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, do you think I'm a competitive applicant with a 3.3 cum, 3.4 science, and 30R (12PS, 8VR, 10BS) MCAT?

I also have 2 years working as a CNA, about 2 years volunteering, some research experience, and some community service; I also go to a pretty good school (UCLA).

This seems like a nice school.
I agree you are competitive. Good luck.

Interviewed 10/9 and have not received a phone call or email yet. Should I be worried?

Interviewed 10/9 and have not received a phone call or email yet. Should I be worried?
Have you logged on to myvista and checked the interview tab? I interviewed on 10/9 as well and it says I did not get in.

If you are accepted they call, alternate list is an e-mail, and rejected is snail mail. If you interviewed before last Friday I would think you should hear from them by now... Log into your portal and see what it says if there is no change to your status then no worries maybe the dean just hasn't looked that one over yet :)

If you are accepted they call, alternate list is an e-mail, and rejected is snail mail. If you interviewed before last Friday I would think you should hear from them by now... Log into your portal and see what it says if there is no change to your status then no worries maybe the dean just hasn't looked that one over yet :)

They said it would take a little longer since the Dean was out of the office last week. If I do not have an interview tab on my portal does that mean I have been rejected? I cannot find any information on the portal stating that I was not accepted either.

As a result, over 80% of the people who interview at RVU are accepted.

the-shining-the-shining-24871351-1024-576.jpg

I am surprised you weren't at least considered for an interview. Do you mind sharing your ECs?

I grew up in Denver before coming to a college in California, so RVUCOM was one of my top choices.

Unfortunately, I didn't get an interview invite but would still like to congratulate those of you who got accepted and wish good luck to those who are interviewing soon :)

Oh by the way, my stats were sGPA: 3.3, cGPA: 3.4, MCAT 29. I thought I was competitive enough for the school, but after seeing high stats here I guess I was naive.. I just hope I still have chances elsewhere.

Just got invited to interview here. Very excited! Seems like a lot of people had very positive experiences from visiting. Any one thing stick out to anyone in particular?

II! My first one so I'm thrilled. 3.7 GPA 29 MCAT, awesome ECs. Complete 10/1/12. I'm thinking of going for the 1/4 date.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who were accepted - how long do you have until a decision is required and what do they need from you at that point (deposit)? Thanks!

For those of you who were accepted - how long do you have until a decision is required and what do they need from you at that point (deposit)? Thanks!

They follow AACOMAS Traffic guidelines. I pulled this from Rocky Vista's page in the Osteopathic Medical College Information Book, and it's the same schedule for almost all DO schools:

• Those accepted prior to November 15 will have
until December 14
• Those accepted between November 15 and
January 14 will have 30 days
• Those accepted between January 15 and May 14
will have 14 days
• Those accepted after May 15 may be asked for
an immediate deposit
• Earliest acceptance date: 9/14/12
• Latest acceptance date: Until class is filled
• Maximum time for applicant to accept offer:
AACOMAS traffic guidelines
• Requests for deferred entrance considered: Yes,
for extreme situations only

They follow AACOMAS Traffic guidelines. I pulled this from Rocky Vista's page in the Osteopathic Medical College Information Book, and it's the same schedule for almost all DO schools:

• Those accepted prior to November 15 will have
until December 14
• Those accepted between November 15 and
January 14 will have 30 days
• Those accepted between January 15 and May 14
will have 14 days
• Those accepted after May 15 may be asked for
an immediate deposit
• Earliest acceptance date: 9/14/12
• Latest acceptance date: Until class is filled
• Maximum time for applicant to accept offer:
AACOMAS traffic guidelines
• Requests for deferred entrance considered: Yes,
for extreme situations only

Awesome! My mistake for not reading the guidelines - I found it after you posted this :) Thanks for the help!

I'm kind of in a bind since this isn't my top choice but it's not my bottom choice either, and it's my first interview invite. What if I get accepted here and have to make a decision before I hear back from other schools :scared:

ummm, you pay your initial deposit and suck it up??? I lost 1500 to LECOM-E... oh well, 1500 isn't the worst loss of my life since it guaranteed me a spot in med school...

Oh I'd love to suck it up and guarantee myself a spot in med school.... Except I work 2 jobs, support myself and have no help from anyone, so it's not really an option to simply lose $2000 dollars...

Oh I'd love to suck it up and guarantee myself a spot in med school.... Except I work 2 jobs, support myself and have no help from anyone, so it's not really an option to simply lose $2000 dollars...

I'm sure it depends on when you get accepted but: 1st deposit is $250 2nd $750 final $1000. So its not all $2000 up front.

I was complete with this school around 10-5-12, interview invite came via email last week. So far my one and only ii and I'm in state. Makes me think I could have saved a lot of money by just applying here but you really never know.

I'm excited! I love this school and hope I get accepted. Good luck everyone and congrats to those who have already been accepted!

I hear you, I took a personal loan for this reason...sounds awful but it does the trick and you can pay it back off the top of your student loan. It would be awful to lose all the $ of applying/travel and have nothing to show for it, so you should pony up the dough any way possible...that's how I saw it anyway.

If you can't pay and lose the $250, you either take the one acceptance and stop, or you risk not getting in anywhere else, your choice...

For rotations, does anyone know if we can stay in the area? At least in CO?

Most are in Colorado. Sites are in the Denver area, with other cores in Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and the Western slopes, so yea, most folks do stay here.

Most are in Colorado. Sites are in the Denver area, with other cores in Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and the Western slopes, so yea, most folks do stay here.

That's great news. I know some people love to move around but not people with significant others that are paying half of rent already. Id prefer to pay one rent at a time!

I'm new to SDN but I interviewed on Monday. I really liked the school and was told the committee was meeting today. I did not get a call or email and the portal now says something about you can't access this because you are no longer a perspective applicant. Does this mean I was rejected? I'm assuming yes but wanted to check. I'm a bit confused as I thought I was a pretty fair candidate my mcat 32q GPA a little low at 3.4.

I'm new to SDN but I interviewed on Monday. I really liked the school and was told the committee was meeting today. I did not get a call or email and the portal now says something about you can't access this because you are no longer a perspective applicant. Does this mean I was rejected? I'm assuming yes but wanted to check. I'm a bit confused as I thought I was a pretty fair candidate my mcat 32q GPA a little low at 3.4.

I hate to say it but it looks like you were rejected. I received a call today and was accepted, so I'm assuming they did it all today. I would call them, to be sure. I would go nuts waiting for snail mail. I hope they just made a mistake with you. Best of luck.

That's what I thought. Thanks I'll need all the luck I can get three interviews this next week. Hopefully with better endings :). Congratulations to you though!! :)

I'm Interviewing Dec. 6th! Anyone else going to be there that day?
Also, anyone know how many acceptances have gone out/how quickly the class fills. I know they have a pretty high interview-acceptance rate and have been giving out acceptances fairly quick. wondering how that effects the number of seats left.

That's what I thought. Thanks I'll need all the luck I can get three interviews this next week. Hopefully with better endings :). Congratulations to you though!! :)

Thank you! I'm sure you'll get in with your other interviews. :) just stay positive. What other schools are you interviewing at?

RVUCOM puzzles me as well, I interviewed in October and the whole time they kept saying they take 8/10 of their interviewees and not to be stressed. I thought the interview went well and that I was competitive (3.91cGpa 3.93sGpa 29O), but got a rejection letter. Don't take it to heart though, with your stats I'm sure you will get in somewhere, nonetheless its never fun being rejected!

I thought that you all may appreciate this glorious news for RVUCOM. Here is an email we got from Dr. Dubin yesterday:

"Student Doctors,
I have great news. The Department of Education has approved the RVUCOM application to participate in the Title IV financial aid programs. As soon as the official agreement is countersigned by the Department, you will be eligible to apply for federal loans. We expect this to happen within the next few weeks.
Mrs. Leary asked me to tell students not to attempt to complete a federal financial aid application or request an in-school loan deferment yet. Our school codes have not been assigned and we will need to establish electronic links with the government processing systems. You can expect to receive more detailed information from Student Financial Services later this week.
Dr. D"

It looks like all of you accepted are in luck for next year!

Interviewed Nov. 6th

Accepted Nov. 8th

3.8, 26Q

We were told today that we WILL have federal loans for spring semester... Which is super awesome!!

I also want to be VERY clear: RVU did NOT hike tuition 14% as someone posted in the main Pre-Osteo page... It isn't true, and is just a ploy to further slander the school

I interviewed back in September and was accepted shortly after. Yay for the class of 2017!!!

Also it's great to hear we can apply for federal loans!!

yep, we'll be able to get them for spring semester, so no one else will have to get private loans unless they aren't eligible for federal for some reason... :D

Rather than starting that argument here, just read the thread about it in the pre-osteo forum where it's been clearly demonstrated that this is just more alarmist and unfounded ridiculousness about RVU typical on SDN.

I got the secondary but is it worth filling out for me? My stats seems a little low for this school, 3.25 cum 3.29 science 26 MCAT.

Please try anyway, you never know!
I just wanted to add, we got cleared for title IV funding, so federal loans will be available to us shortly for those considering applying.

I was accepted with similar stats... Not sure of your ECs but you're not out of the running...

Hey guys!

Thought I would finally join the conversation. Submitted the secondary last week (I know it's kinda late but I'm poor). Hoping to get an ii soon!

How long did it take between submitting secondary and ii?

Hello out there!

Does anyone know if RVU-COM participates in any kind of student hosting program? I am looking for a place to crash before my interview on December 7th--sadly, my pocketbook is approaching its finite limit.

Best,
MB

I thnk they might. I"d try calling the admissions office and asking them. Good luck!

Hello out there!

Does anyone know if RVU-COM participates in any kind of student hosting program? I am looking for a place to crash before my interview on December 7th--sadly, my pocketbook is approaching its finite limit.

Best,
MB

They don't have an official hosting program, but in your interview invite they should have given you the address of one of the students there who could help out. I think some of their students were willing to host applicants or something.

They don't have an official hosting program, but in your interview invite they should have given you the address of one of the students there who could help out. I think some of their students were willing to host applicants or something.

Awesome! It had been a while since I took a close look at the emails Rocky Vista sent my way--I did find the address of the unofficial coordinator of student hosts you mentioned in your post.

Thank you kindly.
MB

Hello all,
My application was complete on 10/27/12 and I have yet to receive an invitation to interview. Did anyone else complete their application around the same time I did and if so, when did you receive an invite?

Thanks!