Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview invite! I thought I would get an email but I just happened to check the status page and saw that I could schedule my interview.

OOS but originally from CO

cGPA ~3.4 and sGPA ~3.6 (my mdapps reflects my AMCAS gpa not my AACOMAS gpa)
MCAT 31 (10V, 10P, 11B)

Complete Feb. 5th even though I submitted the primary back in July. I submitted the secondary in December and I was waiting for a couple letters, the last one arrived near the 5th of February.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Interview invite! I thought I would get an email but I just happened to check the status page and saw that I could schedule my interview.

Congrats! It's a nice day, and the chat with Dr. Dubin is awesome.

Hello all, I should be getting my MCAT scores back soon on my retake (had 27 the first time, hopefully its higher now..) in 2 weeks or so and I'm very interested in applying to Rocky Vista next time around. To anybody who cares to help me out, what is all this "for-profit" talk about? I mean I realize it is rare but why do people think its so bad? Also, I heard that RV has been fully accredited for a while now right? So basically what I'm asking is, why do people still act so weary about this school? From what I've seen it looks like a good school in a great location, with a lot of happy students. Let me know if I'm missing something?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! It's a nice day, and the chat with Dr. Dubin is awesome.

Thank you, I have my plane tickets and I am looking forward to my visit.

Plus, I have a ton of people in Colorado that I have not been able to see in quite awhile.

Hello all, I should be getting my MCAT scores back soon on my retake (had 27 the first time, hopefully its higher now..) in 2 weeks or so and I'm very interested in applying to Rocky Vista next time around. To anybody who cares to help me out, what is all this "for-profit" talk about? I mean I realize it is rare but why do people think its so bad? Also, I heard that RV has been fully accredited for a while now right? So basically what I'm asking is, why do people still act so weary about this school? From what I've seen it looks like a good school in a great location, with a lot of happy students. Let me know if I'm missing something?

People are afraid of the term "for-profit" because it sounds like an international school that is open in order to make money rather than educate people.

I am deleting the rest of my post because I think that the information was partly incorrect.

Last edited:

Our tuition rates are similar to other schools, the board scores continue to rise every year, while some people dispute our match, the majority of people last year matched where they wanted to go, sooo, it's just something people use to try to discredit us, we are fully accredited, have title IV (federal) loans, etc... The FP status should be the last thing to consider in your decision...

From the research I have done Rocky was designed from the beginning as a for profit school, but that never bugged me. There are a lot of people on SDN who dislike the for profit status, but as a student I didn't see how it would effect me. Tuition rates where the same, the facilities are amazing and they invest a lot in their students. So honestly if I get a good education and I'm able to fulfill my career of being whatever type of doc I want to be, then who cares if its for profit or not. Honestly non profit organizations still have to get there revenue in from somewhere and instead of being taxed on their revenue they funnel it else where. At the end of the day I chose Rocky because it is a fantastic school and a great fit for me and my family. Don't get distracted by all the rhetoric out there and really look at Rocky for what it is... A fantastic up and coming DO school. I know I'm happy to go there and out of the other schools I was accepted to, I know Rocky is a Good choice!

rejected post-secondary

stats:
3.33 sGPA
URM, OOS, non-trad (mid-20's)
23 mcat 7PS/8/8
A's in every pre-req except Gen Chem II (B)

good luck to everyone else.

People have talked about how RVU decides who to interview and one person mentioned upper level bio courses and community service. I think it is a good thing that I sent in my Fall transcript because it showed some more of my upper level bio courses. I also have many, many hours of community service. I did a lot of the community service before I was a pre-med because I was just doing things I like to do. In some ways I actually prefer community service over paid positions.

Unfortunately, I cannot pay my rent in community service hours. :laugh:

Is anyone else heading there for interviews on Wednesday? I got my invite last week, 3.3/32 bio major.

Thanks all for answering my for-profit questions, sounds like there's not a thing wrong with it. I'm definitely going to apply here. I'm from West Virginia though and it's sort of hard to get a good feel for what life would be like out there, anybody want to take a shot at describing it in a nutshell? (average weather, people, crime rates, so on...) Just curious, I'd really appreciate it. From what I've read on here already though, I'll apply either way.

Crime in the area of the school is virtually non-existent... same in Parker, and most of S. Aurora, and the general area... It's dry here, summers can be 90s regularly, but no humidity, there's not much for trees, but it's decent...

Safe, pretty, not sure what your cost of living is, but you can get a room with a roommate for around 500/mo...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure this has been covered, although I have not seen it.

How do the rotations compare to other schools? Which rotation sites are good versus which ones need a better location/facility?

Since UC Denver is so close in proximity, how does that affect rotations for both schools? Do they share locations? Do they avoid each other?

Keep in mind I am not familiar with the Denver area, so I don't know much about hospitals other than what's on a website.

I think we do not share, but not necessarily avoid either... CU charges RVU students 2000$ to do rotations at CU or Denver health, but they charge OOS people 4000 I guess... that's the rumor... From what I know the rotation sites are decent, but it's a lottery for where you are... unless you set up your own in another location....

I have a friend who is a third year at Rocky and is doing is rotations in Northern Utah right now. He's enjoyed it thus far, and really has so complaints. One thing about Rocky is they have rotations in South Dakota, Utah, and Colorado. I don't know much about how it works with CU but with how Rocky sets it up and with more rotations rumored to be set up in Southern Utah, I don't think it's that big of an issue.
As far as they compare I don't know just because I'm not in rotations and I haven't seen another's rotation sites. But from what I've heard Rocky does a lot to make sure their sites are really good.

Last edited:
Interviewed 2/21 and got the acceptance call today!!! Is there a fb page for the incoming class yet??

Interviewed 2/21 as well and accepted yesterday.

Wow! Congratulations!

That is a super fast turn around.

No Facebook acct but I'm so excited to see everyone in July!

Who else will be there on Tuesday? I'm excited to be heading out there this weekend. I may even get a chance to hit the slopes while I'm in town! :)

I'm going to miss ya by a week. My wife and I are headed out a week from Monday.

Is there any chance of receiving an interview invite at this point if I submit my secondary by Monday? I've got an average gpa but above average MCAT and lots of ECs....

I'm going to say not likely, but you never know, you probably should have saved your money and waited until next year....

It's a bummer we will not be getting our decisions tomorrow. Hopefully we will hear on Monday.

2013 MATCH RESULTS BY DISCIPLINE, NUMBER MATCHED AND RESIDENCY LOCATION

DISCIPLINE

MATCHED

RESIDENCY LOCATION

ANESTHESIOLOGY

Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio, TX

George Washington Univ-DC

U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor

U Kansas SOM-Kansas City

Riverside County Regional, Moreno Valley, CA

McLaren-Greater Lansing, Lansing, MI

Med Coli Wisconsin Affil Hosps

Mayo School of Grad Med Educ-MN

B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA

U Iowa Hosps and Clinics

U Colorado SOM-Denver

University Hosps-Jackson-MS

U Colorado SOM-Denver

EMERGENCY MEDICINE

St. Barnabas Hospital, Bronx, NY

Botsford Hospital, Farmington Hills, MI

Southwest Medical Center, Oklahoma City, OK

LECOM/UPMCE Hamot, Erie, PA

St. Barnabas Hospital, Bronx, NY

Oklahoma State University Medical Center, Tulsa, OK

LECOM/UPMCE Hamot, Erie, PA

Botsford Hospital, Farmington Hills, MI

Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital, Wyandotte, MI

St. John Providence Health System, Warren, MI

UMDNJSOM/South Jersey Healthcare, Vineland, NJ

U Kentucky Med Ctr

Central Michigan University COM

U Kentucky Med Ctr

Baystate Med Ctr-MA

Christus Spohn Mem Hosp-TX

Morristown Mem Hosp-NJ

Indiana Univ Sch Of Med

FAMILY MEDICINE

Oregon Health & Science Univ

U Colorado SOM-Denver

North Colorado Med Ctr

U Kansas SOM-Wichita

Valley Hospital Medical Center, Las Vegas, NV

Blessing Health System, Quincy, IL

Detroit Wayne County Health, Detroit, MI

Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI

Sierra Vista Regional Health, Sierra Vista, AZ

Riverside Regional Medical Center, Newport News, VA

Lakeside Medical Center, Belle Glade, FL

Maine-Dartmouth FM Residency, Augusta, ME

Maine-Dartmouth FM Residency, Augusta, ME

Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune, Camp Lejeune, NC

Largo Medical Center, Largo, FL

Darnall Army Medical Center, Ft. Hood, TX

Nellis Air Force Base, Las Vegas, NV

Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune, Camp Lejeune, NC

St Anthony North Hosp-CO

Central Maine Med Ctr

Aurora St Lukes Medical Ctr-WI

Advocate Lutheran Gen Hosp-IL

Alaska Family Med/Providence Hosp

North Colorado Med Ctr

North Colorado Med Ctr

Ft Collins Fam Med-CO

Marshall University SOM-WV

GENERAL SURGERY

Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth, VA

Travis Air Force Base/UC Davis Medical Center, Travis AF Base, CA

Wycoff Heights Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY

Doctors Hospital, Columbus, OH

Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, HI

Keesler Air Force Base, Biloxi, MS

Doctors Hospital, Columbus, OH

Mercy Medical Center, Des Moines, IA

William Beaumont Army Medical Hospital, El Paso, TX

South Pointe Hospital, Warrensville Heights, OH

Good Samaritan Hosp-Cinn-OH

University of MaryLand

Oregon Health & Science Univ

ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY

Texas Tech U Affii-Lubbock

Summa Western Reserve Hospital, Cuyahoga Falls, OH

Plainview Hospital, Plainview, NY

Plainview Hospital, Plainview, NY

St. Mary's Hospital Blue Springs, Blue Springs, MO

INTERNAL MEDICINE

Sky Ridge Medical Center, Parker, CO

Parkview Medical Center, Pueblo, CO

Grandview Hospital & Medical Center, Dayton, OH

Danville Regional Medical Center, Danville, VA

Swedish Covenant Hospital, Chicago, IL

Northside Hospital & Heart Institute, St. Petersberg, FL

Genesys Regional Medical-Health Park, Grand Blanc, MI

San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium

Texas A&M-Scott & White

INTERNAL MEDICINE/EMERGENCY MEDICINE

Aria Health Systems, Philadelphia, PA

OBSTETRICS/GYNECOLOGY

Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD

McLaren-Greater Lansing, Lansing, MI

Henry Ford Macomb Hospitals, Clinton Township, MI

St. John Providence Health System, Warren, MI

Mercy Health Partners, Muskegon, MI

St. Joseph Mercy-Oakland, Pontiac, MI

Good Samaritan Hospital, West Islip, NY

South Jersey Healthcare, Vineland, NJ

Baylor Coli Med-Houston-TX

University of Toledo-OH

OPTHALMOLOGY

Henry Ford Hospital - Wayne State University, Detroit, MI

PEDIATRICS

(Civilian Deferred)/ OMECO Teaching Health Center, Tulsa, OK

Madigan Army Medical Hospital, Fort Lewis, WA

Doctors Hospital, Columbus OH

U Nebraska Affil Hosps

Orlando Health-FL

University of Hawaii

U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas

PATHOLOGY

San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium

U New Mexico SOM

PHYSICAL MEDICINE & REHABILITATION

Med Coli Wisconsin AffilHosps

Barnes-Jewish Hosp-MO

PSYCHIATRY

Erie, PA

U Texas HSC-San Antonio

U Arizona COM at South Campus

University of Hawaii

U Utah Affil Hospitals

RADIOLOGY-DIAGNOSTIC

U South Florida COM-Tampa

Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State-PA

U Kansas SOM-Wichita

RADIOLOGY

McLaren-Oakland, Pontiac, MI

RADIOLOGY-ONCOLOGY

Baylor Coli Med-Houston-TX

TRADITIONAL ROTATING INTERNSHIP

Lankenau Medical Center, Wynnewood, PA

Samaritian Regional Medical Center, Corvallis, OR

Palisades Medical Center, N. Bergen, NJ

St. Anthony Hospital, Oklahoma City, OK

LECOM/Arnot Elmira, NY

Genesys Regional Medical-Health Park, Grand Blanc, MI

Good job!! And the match list looks good!! Go Rocky!

Hello,

I just got an interview offer yesterday and will be interviewing on April 4th. Does anyone have any advice? The reason for the late interview is because I applied late.

Also, what is the probability of me getting in? I have a 3.73 cumulative, a 3.52 science, and a 27 MCAT. I am a Texas resident but intend to live in Colorado (it has always been a desire of mine). Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hello,

I just got an interview offer yesterday and will be interviewing on April 4th. Does anyone have any advice? The reason for the late interview is because I applied late.

Also, what is the probability of me getting in? I have a 3.73 cumulative, a 3.52 science, and a 27 MCAT. I am a Texas resident but intend to live in Colorado (it has always been a desire of mine). Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Reread all of your applications and essays. Think about what you would like the committee to know about you and also think about any question you have regarding the university. Other than that, relax and be yourself.

You have just as good a chance as everyone else who got an interview. At this school they are selective about who they interview which means getting this far raises your chances of acceptance.

I really enjoyed my interview day and my interview. I liked how the interviewers talked to me and also talked to each other so it was like a real conversation between three people rather than a stiff panel with two people tag teaming me.

Good luck!

Thank you. Did you happen to get good news too?

Ya I was accepted back in November I believe, which seems like an eternity now:laugh: I'm excited to move onto the next step but I know I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous. :)

Ya I was accepted back in November I believe, which seems like an eternity now:laugh: I'm excited to move onto the next step but I know I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous. :)

Oh, a couple pages back you mentioned that you'd miss me by a week do I thought that was when you were interviewing. I'm excited and nervous too. :)

Oh, a couple pages back you mentioned that you'd miss me by a week do I thought that was when you were interviewing. I'm excited and nervous too. :)

Oh sorry about that, I should have clarified. My wife and I went out a week later after you interviewed. We went and did some apartment hunting. It should be good, and congrats again!! It's always a relief knowing you made it :)

Oh sorry about that, I should have clarified. My wife and I went out a week later after you interviewed. We went and did some apartment hunting. It should be good, and congrats again!! It's always a relief knowing you made it :)

No worries. Did you find an apartment yet? We are currently debating on renting or buying. I think I'd love to live right across the street at Canyon Creek, it's sooo close.

Ya we did. We decided on coyote ranch. We liked a lot if things about it and it worked best with our time table. Did u join the fb page yet?

I have an interview on Wed April 3rd! So excited! Anyone else have this interview date? Mine is in the afternoon.

After being rejected by 4 MD schools and now getting 2 of 4 interviews for DO schools (still waiting on the other 2) I know that DO is for me. They obviously looked at my personal statement and life experiences more than the MD schools, which is priority in my opinion.

Woohoo!

I have an interview on Wed April 3rd! So excited! Anyone else have this interview date? Mine is in the afternoon.

After being rejected by 4 MD schools and now getting 2 of 4 interviews for DO schools (still waiting on the other 2) I know that DO is for me. They obviously looked at my personal statement and life experiences more than the MD schools, which is priority in my opinion.

Woohoo!

Congratulations on the interview! Good luck :)

Ya we did. We decided on coyote ranch. We liked a lot if things about it and it worked best with our time table. Did u join the fb page yet?

I have not joined the Facebook page yet and housing is up in the air still for us. I'm trying to keep most of my focus in school but I'd rather jump full into planning our move.

I also just got this email...

"At this point in our interview cycle, we anticipate still having seats available in the Class of 2017. However, we want you to be aware of the possibility that if you are accepted, there is a chance that you would be accepted on an “accepted pending space” status. As long as seats are available in the Class of 2017, it is expected that, if accepted, you will attend classes starting in August 2013. Should the class fill, and you remain on the “accepted pending space” status, you will be automatically enrolled in the Class of 2018."

Not sure how I feel about this :confused:

I also just got this email...

"At this point in our interview cycle, we anticipate still having seats available in the Class of 2017. However, we want you to be aware of the possibility that if you are accepted, there is a chance that you would be accepted on an "accepted pending space" status. As long as seats are available in the Class of 2017, it is expected that, if accepted, you will attend classes starting in August 2013. Should the class fill, and you remain on the "accepted pending space" status, you will be automatically enrolled in the Class of 2018."

Not sure how I feel about this :confused:

Sounds like the high priority wait list that MSUCOM used to do. Campbell University SOM is doing that this year too.

I like the high priority wait list because you can always turn it down or you can take the spot and know that you don't have to reapply if the class stays full.

It also sounds as though there are still some seats available though and that they want you to know what it means if you are "accepted pending space" versus "accepted".

Since I've never attended another medical school, it's hard to compare one to another, but here is my thoughts on RVU:

Pros:
-great board scores
-awesome new president
-decent student body

Cons:
-no one likes the Dean, he is arrogant, elitist, and doesn't seem to care about the student's health
-We have the LONGEST MEDICAL SCHOOL YEAR IN THE COUNTRY. "Summer break" b/w 1st and 2nd year is three and a half weeks. Christmas break was 9 days. 3 days for Thanksgiving, and a spring break. That's it. Rough.

As with any school, we have both good and bad profs. Anatomy/Physiology profs are generally decent...one notoriously horrible pathology professor...overall a mixed bag.

Upside is that some of the "notoriously horrible" profs are retiring or at least shifting some of their lectures to other, better, profs...

Feels weird to turn down my first acceptance, but I'm withdrawing from RVU. Hopefully my spot goes to one the wait listers here.

Since I've never attended another medical school, it's hard to compare one to another, but here is my thoughts on RVU:

Pros:
-great board scores
-awesome new president
-decent student body

Cons:
-no one likes the Dean, he is arrogant, elitist, and doesn't seem to care about the student's health
-We have the LONGEST MEDICAL SCHOOL YEAR IN THE COUNTRY. "Summer break" b/w 1st and 2nd year is three and a half weeks. Christmas break was 9 days. 3 days for Thanksgiving, and a spring break. That's it. Rough.

As with any school, we have both good and bad profs. Anatomy/Physiology profs are generally decent...one notoriously horrible pathology professor...overall a mixed bag.

1) Correction - 3-4th years like the Dean. 1st-2nd years hate him because he is scary. He really knows his **** and expects the students to be able to hold their own when pimped. When you get on rotations you'll appreciate it. As for the health thing, definitely not my experience. I got sick, as in cancer sick and everyone at RVU was amaizing and worked with me)

2) Agree the school year is long can't really argue that ;)

3) If people take the time and actually read Robbins they do very well in pathology regardless of who is teaching. Some professors spoon feed us knowledge others encourage us to seek it out. It's easier to blame the instructor than to blame yourself for not reading. Read the book and it is easy.

Just a note: Med school sucks no matter where you are. Studying sucks. Not having a life sucks. However, I love it here at RVU and the people here make it suck less. :D

edit, just realized this is last year's thread.

Last edited: