Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am applying here since its so close to my home state (Utah). Do any matriculants want to share some of their reasons for choosing RVU?

Check out the RVUCOM 2012-2013 thread. It has a lot of good info about the school from current students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone! Hope that you are all successful! If you have questions please feel free to send me a message!

cGPA 3.54/ sGPA 3.43 applicant here.

Love everything about this school. What is the degree to regional bias here, as well as desire for students who want to go into primary care?

Good luck everyone! 3.76 cgpa, 3.65 sgpa, 24 MCAT (retaking in Aug). I'm with sterling, close to home in Utah would be nice

Last edited:
Primary care is important, but not essential, regional bias is minimal, CO has the most students, but MN is 2nd... :)

We have rotation spots in UT...

Wyoming resident and this is my top pick for schools. WUE helps out with some financing at the school, which gives it some bonus points, and Denver is an awesome city with ill hiking/snowboarding all around it. Plus I know they have military medicine training, which is what I want to be doing. I just hope I manage to get an interview here, looking at last year thread I have no clue what they look for in an applicant.

Prncssbuttercup, since you're a current medical student, can you give us some insight on the pros and cons you've seen at RVU so far? Maybe a tip on how to get an interview?

My adviser warned me that there are still some shady situations going on at RVU, including a lot of the military supported programs being withdrawn.

Can any current student comment on worries like this and maintaining accreditation?

I personally think there are a lot of rumors and misconceptions spread about RVU that are blown out of proportion, but I would like to double check.

I am not aware of there being any problems with the military. We have more military students than any school besides the USUHS.

Pros- curriculum model works well, board scores are high, you can eat in class, wear what you want, faculty is good, Denver area is nice
Cons- school year is long and breaks are short, anatomy is dissection, which if you have a 350lb short lady kinda sucks, I would much prefer a prosected cadaver.

Getting an interview, umm not much help there, write a good personal statement, have good grades and ECs, be genuine in the reasons you're applying. Is there something about the school specifically that is drawing you to it? Do you want to practice in CO or in the area? If so why? All I have right now... PM me if you like...

Last edited:
My adviser warned me that there are still some shady situations going on at RVU, including a lot of the military supported programs being withdrawn.

Can any current student comment on worries like this and maintaining accreditation?

I personally think there are a lot of rumors and misconceptions spread about RVU that are blown out of proportion, but I would like to double check.
Actually, its quite the opposite. RVUCOM is now nationally known for it's four year military track and the training it provides for military students. We have had multiple Army Generals, Air Force Generals, and Navy Admirals on campus to present, and they all rave about the RVU military track! Also, If you look at the military match for residencies coming out of RVU, it's amazing. There are multiple lectures/presentations throughout the year by military folks on military medicine.

There is also this thing called the "cut suit" that is used for trauma surgery training, and it's incredible. The military students use if for trauma surgery elective week. RVU is the only school in the US to have them, and they are doing joint research with the military on these.

In terms of accreditation, RVU board scores are amazingly high, with great results. There is absolutely no issue with accreditation.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply. I suspected things were fine, and take everything my adviser says with a grain of salt.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is also this thing called the "cut suit" that is used for trauma surgery training, and it's incredible. The military students use if for trauma surgery elective week. RVU is the only school in the US to have them, and they are doing joint research with the military on these.

I googled that "cut suit" and watched a video on it. Pretty awesome. "Looks, feels, and even smells like..."

Applying here! For sure one of my top 3 and its home for me so I'd be geeked if they gave me the thumbs up. For those curious, Parker is about 30 min from downtown Denver if your looking for what urban life you can find here. Other than its an outdoors person's paradise out here.

RVU is a very good school. Don't listen to the RVU hate on SDN. When I read that stuff now I laugh at how ridiculous and unfounded it is. I feel that the school is definitely setting me up for success, and that Dr. Dubin (the dean) and the rest of the faculty truly want it to be an excellent school producing quality physicians and are working very hard to make it so. I also have not heard of any issues with the military, and have only heard great things about our military track.

Pros: Excellent location, Colorado is the best. Quality curriculum. Friendly atmosphere. Nice facility. Rural/Wilderness Medicine, Global Medicine, and Military Medicine tracks are very cool. It's a good school to go to if you have kids, they're pretty understanding and flexible when it comes to issues that come up when you have a family.

Cons: Long school year (although these last two months aren't too bad with mostly assigned reading out of Robbins Pathology and not too much time required at school since all the labs are done for the year). By far the biggest con when I started last fall was the financial aid issue (we were unable to get federal loans), but now that we are fully accredited, it's no longer an issue and as of this semester, we are eligible for federal loans.

Some professors are excellent, some are not at all, but that's probably how it goes at most schools. Overall I think the teaching faculty is very good.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm happy to answer any more questions about the school. Good luck to those applying!

Last edited:
That's all I can think of for now. I'm happy to answer any more questions about the school. Good luck to those applying!

Will you (or anyone else) comment on the student health insurance?

Will you (or anyone else) comment on the student health insurance?

I can't say too much about it since I haven't had to use it yet. It seems like a good plan for a decent price though. I will say that it is impossibly expensive to add family members to the plan. Those with families will want to have either a working spouse with benefits or Medicaid.

Probably July 1st-ish...
If you look in last years thread I posted the questions somewhere... I can't guarantee they haven't changed, but they are probably the same/similar

Does anyone have an opinion on submitting with a low MCAT? Scheduled retake in July. 3.5cgpa/3.3sgpa/22 mcat. ECs are awesome.

"MCAT Information
All candidates must submit their most recent scores on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) through AACOMAS. Scores older than three years from April of the anticipated year of matriculation will not be considered. For example, Candidates for the class matriculating in 2013 must submit MCAT scores that are no older than April 2010.
Scores < 6 in any component of the MCAT are not acceptable for admission consideration."

I would say below a 25 will be pretty tough to get an interview....

I did get at least a 6 in each section. My concern was whether I should submit with a low and pending score or wait until I have confirmation of an ideally higher score.

I googled that "cut suit" and watched a video on it. Pretty awesome. "Looks, feels, and even smells like..."

That thing is awesome. Wish we would have had it during medic training. This school just moved up my list.

I would say you shouldn't submit until you have a higher score. They'll reject you outright with those stats... sorry... A 22 just isn't competitive...

The cut suit demonstration at the beginning of last year ruined the carpet in the large auditorium. The fake blood ran onto the carpet and stained it... There's a patch over the stain...

I would say you shouldn't submit until you have a higher score. They'll reject you outright with those stats... sorry... A 22 just isn't competitive...

The cut suit demonstration at the beginning of last year ruined the carpet in the large auditorium. The fake blood ran onto the carpet and stained it... There's a patch over the stain...

That is hilarious!

They didn't believe me when I told them to put oxy-clean and UV lights on it and fade the red... it's still visible if you lift the patch...

Hello,

What do you guys think about my chances for an interview invite ?

sGPA - 4.0 (still taking prereqs) ; cGPA - 4.0
MCAT - 24
Masters degree in Business (MBA) - GPA - 3.9
Bachelors in Electrical Engineering - 3.98

MD Job shadowing - 80 hours
Medical Missions - 150/200 hours
Volunteering - 100/150 hours

Residency: Texas

I have good reco letters from my Professors/Doctors as well.

Do you guys have anything to say about my chances ?

Thanks !

Your MCAT is low for your GPA, but I would think you'd get an interview... Do you have a DO letter?

Your MCAT is low for your GPA, but I would think you'd get an interview... Do you have a DO letter?
My job shadowing experiences are all with MD's - both my US shadowing experience and the Medical missions ! All together I have job shadowing and volunteering experiences starting from 2004 till date.

I am applying here this cycle and I have a 3.86 overall gpa and a 3.78 science and scored a 23 6ps9v8bs on my mcat. I am a Hispanic Texas resident.

They should be soon....

Got an email today with this:

At this time your application reflects that you do not meet the minimum requirements necessary to move forward in our admissions process. If during this admission cycle, you have updated information you would like us to consider (transcripts or MCAT scores), please send them to AACOMAS and request an updated profile

Question:
AACOMAS lists my MCAT score--but it was updated to them on June 27th, a Thursday.

So to my understanding, they update profiles on Tuesdays--so my MCAT should have been sent to all of these schools on Tuesday.

How long does it take schools to process this update?
Should I be calling these schools and letting them know it's there?

I just received the secondary email, but it has not content :(

Did anyone else receive a email entitled secondary application from RVU that was blank inside?

Just got a blank email from RVU. hopefully the real secondary follows :)

Excitement, confusion, disappointment...where is my log in info?

Just got the secondary as well. Does anyone know how they screen for handing out secondaries? I know most who get an interview get accepted (85% i think). But how many people who complete the secondary get an interview?

When I visited with them they said as long as you meet requirements and cut-offs you get a secondary

I just received the secondary email, but it has not content :(

Just got a blank email from RVU. hopefully the real secondary follows :)

Same here

RVU... quite playing games with my heart, (echo: playing games with my heart, playing games with my heart, playing games with my heart!) I should have known from the start!

And yay for a real email now! Quick fix!

Secondary received!! RVU is high on my list!! Very excited!!

Cannot login on my phone. Will try once I get to my computer. What's the cost of this secondary?

Anybody find out how to access the secondary? I click on the supplemental application form and nothing comes up, other than there are no active applications on this portlet.

Disregard that last post, I got it. Using 4g on a roadtrip is not making loading forms very easy.

Anybody find out how to access the secondary? I click on the supplemental application form and nothing comes up, other than there are no active applications on this portlet.

I'm having this same problem, but on PC. The little box on the page for the supplemental application simply says "There are currently no active applications in this portlet."