Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when they start accepting alternates? Has anyone been taken off yet?
Just to be clear. Did they tell you your file was still under review "alternate list" or waitlisted? The email they sent me said "alternate list" on the subject line but the body said that they are still reviewing my file after the interview and haven't made a decision. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1395342087.834228.jpg

This is the list we were given for rotation sites

**rapid city SD, UT, & ID are still available but they're not in the lottery

Last edited:
Just to be clear. Did they tell you your file was still under review "alternate list" or waitlisted? The email they sent me said "alternate list" on the subject line but the body said that they are still reviewing my file after the interview and haven't made a decision. Thanks!
+1 on the alternate status with the email. I do wonder if any one has been actually taken off yet though

Members don't see this ad :)
I withdrew! Good luck to you all. I wish I had a good experience during the interview but I didn't. I was hoping I didn't have to go here.

I withdrew! Good luck to you all. I wish I had a good experience during the interview but I didn't. I was hoping I didn't have to go here.

what happened during ur interview?

what happened during ur interview?

I have an accent when I speak (usually comes out when I am nervous), so the person who interviewed me was treating me weird. "Are you sure you can take courses all in English?" Duh I went to UC Berkeley. What do you think? I took all my classes in English. And then said other stuff that just seem to come from a person that has no cultural background. I think it just touched a nerve and after that I didn't feel like I would be happy there for some reason. But I got into another school that I loved while I was there for the interview. So yep.

Last edited:
I have an accent when I speak (usually comes out when I am nervous), so the person who interviewed me was treating me weird. "Are you sure you can take courses all in English?" Duh I went to UC Berkeley. What do you think? I took all my classes in English. And then she said other stuff that just seem to come from a person that has no cultural background. I think it just touched a nerve and after that I didn't feel like I would be happy there fore some reason. But I got into another school that I loved while I was there for the interview. So yep.

I see, well I'm glad you you got into another school you loved (Congrats!) I also withdrew from here

Has anyone used the transportation shuttle that the Red Lion Denver Southeast provides? About how long did it take to get from the campus to the hotel and then to the hotel to the airport? I'm trying to book my flight, but it's really hard to get any cheaper flights that are after 5pm. If my interview date ends at 2pm, is it likely I'd be able to make a flight out at 4?

Has anyone used the transportation shuttle that the Red Lion Denver Southeast provides? About how long did it take to get from the campus to the hotel and then to the hotel to the airport? I'm trying to book my flight, but it's really hard to get any cheaper flights that are after 5pm. If my interview date ends at 2pm, is it likely I'd be able to make a flight out at 4?
Not with a shuttle. You will need to be at the airport by 3, and it takes ~30-45mn from school to get to the airport. You would be cutting it really really close if you chose to have a flight at that time.

For those doing hpsp, what year do you need to complete the basic officer leaders course ( bolc)? My understanding is that most students already with the scholarship complete it after the first year of school and that the corse is 7 weeks long. I was looking at RVUs catalog and from the looks of it, summer after first year is 4 weeks and there is little to no break in the following 2 summers. That being said, when do go to bolc if you are in the military track/hpsp program?

**Disclaimer I am not in HPSP**
You take the class the summer between 1st and 2nd year. This year they have close to 6 weeks off, but it still eats up the whole time. As far as I know the military has worked with the school to do it in the summer, so it would still be during the summer regardless of how long the break is.

I have an accent when I speak (usually comes out when I am nervous), so the person who interviewed me was treating me weird. "Are you sure you can take courses all in English?" Duh I went to UC Berkeley. What do you think? I took all my classes in English. And then said other stuff that just seem to come from a person that has no cultural background. I think it just touched a nerve and after that I didn't feel like I would be happy there for some reason. But I got into another school that I loved while I was there for the interview. So yep.
Sorry to hear you had a negative experience. Congrats on an acceptance

I see, well I'm glad you you got into another school you loved (Congrats!) I also withdrew from here
If you don't mind my asking, why did you withdraw?

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't mind my asking, why did you withdraw?[/quote]

Hey prnceebutterup
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/members/prncssbuttercup.340563/
Oh I absolutely loved RVU. I enjoyed the interview and the campus, and the current students seemed happy and very helpful during the tour. It would have been a great fit for me! However, I was lucky enough to get into a school closer to home and where I felt was an even better fit for me :)

Fair enough!
Btw, the match list is posted in the Osteopathic student Match List thread

Reactions: 1 users
I am interviewing at RVU on April 2nd. I saw that most of you got very quick responses after your interview. I am curious if anyone who interviewed later in the cycle can attest to the speed of the committee's decision. Also has anyone heard if RVU has filled their class and therefore is just accepting people to their alternate list or if they are still actively accepting students. Any info would be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Has anyone gotten info about when their drug screen will be? I'm just making sure I'm not the only one who hasn't gotten any feedback about when it will be. Also is it just a urine screen or is it a hair or finger nail screen?

It, as far as I know (mine was in 2012), is a urine screen. However, I will just be on record as saying that just because pot is legal in CO does NOT mean that it is available for use by medical students or professionals. As far as I know using it would cause you to fail the drug screen, even though it is technically legal here.

I got an email about the drug screen last week- a few days after I signed up for it though the portal. I didn't have to set an appointment, just turn up for the test with a paper I printed
- also thanks Prncssbuttercup for the info last week. I'm planning on living in the city and was a little nervous for a commute

If you're on FB there are lots of people looking for roommates or to rent places...

Withdrawing acceptance...hope my spot goes to one of y'all!! Good luck everybody!

Does anyone know if they will start reviewing wait list spots next week? Also, does anyone know how often a week they meet?

For those already in the program, how flexible is RVU with regards to locations for 3rd and 4th year rotation sites? I've heard that rotation sites are set up by the individual student, but wasn't sure if they needed to be within the opportunities listed in the school brochure or if you could find your own on the East Coast. Reason I was asking is that someone in NYC was telling me about some rotation opportunities there, but wasn't sure if I would be able to go because its so far away from Rocky Vista.

For those already in the program, how flexible is RVU with regards to locations for 3rd and 4th year rotation sites? I've heard that rotation sites are set up by the individual student, but wasn't sure if they needed to be within the opportunities listed in the school brochure or if you could find your own on the East Coast. Reason I was asking is that someone in NYC was telling me about some rotation opportunities there, but wasn't sure if I would be able to go because its so far away from Rocky Vista.
From what I've heard, and what I plan on doing, RVU is pretty flexible with away rotation sites, but you're on your own to set them up, just like any school. I plan on setting up a good chunk of mine back in MN to network there, so I know it's definitely possible. :)

From what I've heard, and what I plan on doing, RVU is pretty flexible with away rotation sites, but you're on your own to set them up, just like any school. I plan on setting up a good chunk of mine back in MN to network there, so I know it's definitely possible. :)

That's great to hear, but as far the core rotations, do you have to do them with Rocky Vista, or can you do the core rotations away as well? I've been researching and most places through aamc and aacomas, and it looks like the visiting rotation sites accept only 4th year students. Thanks !

That's great to hear, but as far the core rotations, do you have to do them with Rocky Vista, or can you do the core rotations away as well? I've been researching and most places through aamc and aacomas, and it looks like the visiting rotation sites accept only 4th year students. Thanks !
I'm an incoming 1st year, so I'm no expert on the details, but I've asked the same questions and it seems as if it's definitely possible on RVU's side, at least. Don't quote me on that, though. I could be mistaken.

I'm an incoming 1st year, so I'm no expert on the details, but I've asked the same questions and it seems as if it's definitely possible on RVU's side, at least. Don't quote me on that, though. I could be mistaken.

From my interview day, it seemed like it was possible for 3rd and 4th years to do their rotations elsewhere.

about to start my third year at RVU. For rotations, lots of options. Most students enter the lottery which is between Denver, Boulder, Ft. Collins, Greeley, CO Springs, Showlow AZ, Grand Junction, Casper WY, Cheyenne WY and a few other spots. This year, only 8 people didn't get their first rotation site choice, and those 8 got their second choice, which is awesome. We have a number of students setting up core rotations in other sites (Chicago, South Dakota, Utah, others), so its definitely possible and acceptable to set up your own rotations. Some of those have connections in those places which helps because I think its pretty much up to you to set up rotations if you're going outside of RVU sites. good luck everyone and enjoy your free time before the craziness begins!

about to start my third year at RVU. For rotations, lots of options. Most students enter the lottery which is between Denver, Boulder, Ft. Collins, Greeley, CO Springs, Showlow AZ, Grand Junction, Casper WY, Cheyenne WY and a few other spots. This year, only 8 people didn't get their first rotation site choice, and those 8 got their second choice, which is awesome. We have a number of students setting up core rotations in other sites (Chicago, South Dakota, Utah, others), so its definitely possible and acceptable to set up your own rotations. Some of those have connections in those places which helps because I think its pretty much up to you to set up rotations if you're going outside of RVU sites. good luck everyone and enjoy your free time before the craziness begins!
Awesome info. Thanks!

If you want to set up some core rotations away or all of your rotations away from RVU you can. Leg work is all on you, and if you're doing all of your rotations not with RVU, they have to be completely set up by ~Feb/Mar of your 2nd year. I have a core set up in MN, and it was not difficult to set up, but there was a lot of paperwork. Realize if you're going somewhere that would have a competing medical school it is extremely unlikely you'll be able to get a spot for a core rotation. Some schools will take 3rd and 4th years, some only take 4th year. I have friends who set up all of their own rotations in other places, like Pennsylvania... If you are looking at applying to RVU you need not worry yet, if you are an incoming 1st year, you should start looking at contacts and getting solid people who you know will take you if you plan to set 100% of your rotations elsewhere. If it is 1 or 2 or 3, that's not as big of a deal...

Reactions: 1 user
Not that I am aware of. Due to the incredibly high number of medical schools in CA, it could be extremely difficult. If you know a clinic system that could get you all the required rotations, it may be possible, but like I said, it is 100% on you.

Guessing nobody will see this, but for those of you accepted during this application year, what was RVU's average comlex score this year? I can't seem to get the actual number anywhere, and I would like to compare it to kcu's.

Guessing nobody will see this, but for those of you accepted during this application year, what was RVU's average comlex score this year? I can't seem to get the actual number anywhere, and I would like to compare it to kcu's.

This is the 2013-2014 thread. I would repost this in the 2016-2017 thread.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile